Wood Stove inside 13’ Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: '87 13'scamp, 2006 Chevy1500
FL / MN
Wood Stove inside 13’ Scamp

I’m continuing to do a lot of reading & YouTube watching as I’m dreaming about my next phase of life. I saw this today and thought others may find it interesting. BTW, I’m an owner of a 13’ Scamp yet really considering something just a bit larger.

https://youtu.be/zzq2MlX8kRo
stevebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I dont think I would go larger.. check with the authors of that video and also Tim Miklos, who did the first stove install that they based this one on.

I gather that it seems it works OK for a stationary camper.. traveling is another matter. And even Tim made a few mistakes, I mean learning experiences. For one thing, he didn't clean the stove pipe often enough and a had a near complete blockage. That, and lots of info about installing and using the stove, was described by him in this Facebook Scamp Group.

Interesting project and glad it works for them OK (so far).. but I am sticking with propane, even if wood is a more reliable fuel source in a major disaster or very remote location.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Personally I think a wood stove in a small camper is a bad idea.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I love that little stove. I wonder if it would be big enough to warm up our barely insulated campers in the winter. I have a wood stove in my house, it works great but there are many safety factors to take into consideration. I would be a bit concerned in a small camper.

Now if I was doing a bus conversion, different story.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just a few things to consider...

Installation proximity to combustible items and surfaces,
Physical contact hazard when hot (burn injury,)
Usage in a rather small volume (cu. ft.) environment,
Potential oxygen depletion (asphyxiation,)
Storage space necessary for wood to burn.

Probably a lot more identifiable problems out there as well, but personally I think it is a really bad idea in a small travel trailer. Just because someone else did it doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just because someone thinks it's a bad idea, doesn't necessarily make it so.

Wood stoves in travel trailers isn't something new. I was at the RV Hall of Fame this summer and wood stoves were inside all wood and canvas trailers built in the 1930s.

I've seen a charcoal burner in a Scamp 5er. Follow Tim Miklos build (and use) on Facebook and now there are several others following his lead.

The first Cubic Mini used successfully I've personally seen was Jeff in OCs... he's a member here on FiberglassRV.

It obviously can be done successfully. Is it for everyone, no. But is certainly for some.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I would suggest you read the book on wood stove installations and wood stove operation by Sheldon . Many of the US listed clearances are minimum at best .
Secondly the flash point of combustibles are lowered by long exposure to heat
Canada has far stricter standards than the US and after reading the book by Sheldon you can see why .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Just because someone thinks it's a bad idea, doesn't necessarily make it so.

Wood stoves in travel trailers isn't something new. I was at the RV Hall of Fame this summer and wood stoves were inside all wood and canvas trailers built in the 1930s.

I've seen a charcoal burner in a Scamp 5er. Follow Tim Miklos build (and use) on Facebook and now there are several others following his lead.

The first Cubic Mini used successfully I've personally seen was Jeff in OCs... he's a member here on FiberglassRV.

It obviously can be done successfully. Is it for everyone, no. But is certainly for some.

Well, if you really want one, go for it! You just won't find one in my trailer. I still think it's a bad idea, but that's just me.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #9

North Carolina
I am going to put a wood stove AND a Little Buddy in my camper... discuss.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I didn't see anything in that vid that indicated they provided an outside air supply for combustion, a critical element when burning solid fuel. Room air's going to be depleted so fast it will make their heads spin (assuming they're still conscious enough to notice) It fascinates me that this always comes up when we're discussing propane heaters but so rarely does when the subject of this far greater consumer of room air does. Unlike radiant propane heaters, a wood stove can't even be installed/used in the biggest, leakiest stationary mobile home unless plumbed for outside combustion air. But some folks think it's a good idea to do so in a practically airtight tiny fiberglass enclosure. Go figure!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
. Unlike radiant propane heaters, a wood stove can't even be installed/used in the biggest, leakiest stationary mobile home unless plumbed for outside combustion air. Go figure!
That's Washington state law. Here in Vermont you can do what you want. Atleast at this point in time.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I had a small "cottage" airtight wood stove in my house. I took it out because conforming to municipal regs ( clearances ) meant that it took up too much room and because I was freezing my butt off cutting chunks of wood into 10" or less length.

Instead of using electricity to cut wood on my table saw, I use it for an oil-filled heater to heat the room.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
That's Washington state law. Here in Vermont you can do what you want. Atleast at this point in time.
It's a federal standard Raz and most wood stoves including the one we've used for years have such language on the permanent label attached to the back. It's a Hearthstone soapstone stove btw and we love it. Fired with timber we grow ourselves on the 32 acres here. Side note, if you're not already familiar with the brand check it out and see where it's made
Old 10-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We heat our cabin with wood , have for over 30 years
Hard to believe you can get the necessary clearances for a wood stove in a 13 ft
Scamp
Attached Thumbnails
446001EB-CA78-49D5-846E-4BA3ED26A005.jpg  
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Smaller stove/wood heater requires smaller clearances... ?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
Raz

Quote:
It's a federal standard Raz and most wood stoves including the one we've used for years have such language on the permanent label attached to the back. It's a Hearthstone soapstone stove btw and we love it. Fired with timber we grow ourselves on the 32 acres here. Side note, if you're not already familiar with the brand check it out and see where it's made
I've had a Hearthstone Phoenix for about 10 years. They assemble them in Morrisville Vermont. Like you, I cut and split my own wood and have for 40 years. My understanding is a fresh air capability is required as part of the EPA rating, but connection is state regulated. As such the fresh air adapter is optional. The EPA rating used to get you a tax credit. The local hardware stores still sell cheap non EPA box stoves so I assume they are legal???
Old 10-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We heat our cabin with wood , have for over 30 years
Hard to believe you can get the necessary clearances for a wood stove in a 13 ft
Scamp
20 inches needed all around, except only 2.5 inches bottom and rear with option (quite doable):
https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/page...-cb-1008-specs
Old 10-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #18
Raz

To each his own.
Attached Thumbnails
_20181026_145500.JPG  
Old 10-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
My understanding is a fresh air capability is required as part of the EPA rating, but connection is state regulated.
EPA governs outdoor air quality issues, the intake of outside air requirement is per HUD regulations and for the purpose of avoiding oxygen depletion inside the unit. Check out your stove's label, you'll see what I mean. We have the Mansfield model stove, picked it b/c it takes the longest possible stick, which over the course of a wimter's supply means a lot less labor for us.

Those non-EPA stoves are a hoot btw, any that don't have the pollution controls are probably labeled "outdoor use", wink, wink.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #20
Raz

Quote:
EPA governs outdoor air quality issues, the intake of outside air requirement is per HUD regulations and for the purpose of avoiding oxygen depletion inside the unit. Check out your stove's label, you'll see what I mean. We have the Mansfield model stove, picked it b/c it takes the longest possible stick, which over the course of a wimter's supply means a lot less labor for us.

Those non-EPA stoves are a hoot btw, any that don't have the pollution controls are probably labeled "outdoor use", wink, wink.
Read the label. Ok, you're talking about mobile homes. I get it. Would a Scamp be considered a mobile home?

Tags
scamp