Bi-fold Screen Door Frame Broken on Scamp 13' Standard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #1

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Bi-fold Screen Door Frame Broken on Scamp 13' Standard

We're thrilled about our new-to-us (2001) Scamp 13' Standard we just bought last week! One thing we need to fix quickly is the broken frame of the factory-installed bi-fold screen door. The right side (couch/bunk side) of the frame is completely detached. The screws have broken through the plywood (and I no longer have them). I guess my main question if what's under the rats fur on that lip on the inside of trailer door? Is it fiberglass, or is that lip a piece of wood I could just drew into? I will probably replace the plywood piece at some point, but for now I just want to make it safe enough that my kids don't pull it off our trip next week. There are couple of additional screw holes which don't line up with broken holes in the plywood, so I can screw through the plywood frame into those holes but I'm not sure what I'm screwing into. I've included a few pictures to help tell the story. Any insight you could offer would be really helpful. Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
screendoorframe.jpg   backside.jpg  

trailerdoorframelip.jpg  
WildScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:58 PM   #2

Name: james
Trailer: 2000 scamp 19 deluxe_layoutA
Illinois
door frame

I was just looking at this rib on my 2000 19d which I had removed the complete screen door assembly. Your rib looks very much like mine so am assuming they use the same type of construction and assembly. Using a magnet I determined the rib on mine is steel from the floor up to all but about 10 inch top which sticks out about 1 inch more. I was a little concerned if this rib was strong enough without the wood panel for the screen door. Have never seen a Scamp without screen door so don't know what they use when do screen door installed.
jimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Is this the door to which you refer?
If so it doesn't attach to either side wall of the opening when factory installed..
The actual panels can be repaired or rebuilt at your local ACE Hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 001.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 002.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:13 AM   #4

Name: james
Trailer: 2000 scamp 19 deluxe_layoutA
Illinois
I believe Wildscamp's picture shows the vertical panel that attaches to the wall rib, this is the panel the screen door closes against. Can anyone show what trim Scamp used if no screen door was installed?
jimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
that rib is encased with fiberglass and is part of the shell support. the side trim for the screen screws into it. I would take a small drill bit and drill in to it and see if it is wood encased in fiberglass or a hollow fiberglass structure. push your trim back in place and screw it in. if the tube is wood filled use wood screws if its hollow used sheet metal screws. if its sheet metal screws in just fiberglass hand tighten the screws do not power drive the screws in. forcing screws in fiber glass crushes the resin in the lay-up and makes a weak connection that will fail. should the tube be metal wrapped in fiberglass then use a sheet metal screw.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #6

Name: Adam
Washington
Thanks for the replies!

Jimmy - You're correct... I'm referring to the vertical panel that attaches to the wall rib - the panel the screen door closes against. Unfortunately, I can't help you with which trim Scamp used if no screen door was installed.

Steve - That's exactly what I'm nervous about and was just hoping someone might know what's in that lip before I start drilling holes in it.
WildScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:59 PM   #7

Name: Molly
Minnesota
door frame

Hello,
Were you able to successfully fix your door frame problem? I have the same problem.
Thanks
Molly t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp