Installing Brakes Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: shopping
PA
Installing Brakes Scamp 13

I am hopefully purchasing a 2017 Scamp 13 Layout 2 soon. The one I'm looking at does not have brakes. We will be towing with a 2016 Subaru Outback with a tow package. Currently we tow a T@G teardrop, around 1,000 lbs. with no brakes, but we never did any high mountains & would like to travel out west. My question is, how difficult is it to get brakes installed? Where would you go to do it? Feel free to explain anything in very simple terms...I know nothing about trailer brakes other than I want them, & won't be offended!
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Brake mount plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaV View Post
I am hopefully purchasing a 2017 Scamp 13 Layout 2 soon. The one I'm looking at does not have brakes. We will be towing with a 2016 Subaru Outback with a tow package. Currently we tow a T@G teardrop, around 1,000 lbs. with no brakes, but we never did any high mountains & would like to travel out west. My question is, how difficult is it to get brakes installed? Where would you go to do it? Feel free to explain anything in very simple terms...I know nothing about trailer brakes other than I want them, & won't be offended!
I think that by 2017 Scamps all had the square plates to mount the brake plates. If so it is just a bolt on to the current axle.(and the extra wiring that can also charge your battery and run backup lights if any) E-trailer is just one place to get the parts.
Attached Thumbnails
brake plate.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If the trailer axle has the brake mounting flanges on it, its bolt on and wire job. If your axles do not have the flanges, you'll need to buy new axles with flanges. Either way, I would suggest a place that repairs utility trailers. Hopefully the axle with flanges is already in place. Maybe a call to Scamp would be a good idea to see if they only use axles with flanges. The difference in price for an axle with our without flanges is only a few dollars. If you can post a photo of the back ( inside ) of the wheel assembly where the axle is someone, maybe me, can answer this critical question. Best of luck with your project.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
OOPS. AC0GV was posting when i was slowly typing.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: shopping
PA
Thanks for the information. I was surprised a 2017 didn't have brakes installed on the build. I went into E-trailer and looked at brakes and there was a wide variety. I imagine I would select by weight, but I also looked at one review that said the brake kit didn't come with drums. Could you possibly help me out and link me to something that would do the entire job. There is a 4 Wheel Drive center where I had my old Outback trailer hitch installed and I'm sure they could install for me. But I'm trying to price it all out.
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
first check your current axle and see if the brake flange is there. next do you have 4 lug wheels or 5 lug wheels.

next do you have a 7 pin plug or a 4 pin trailer plug. you need 7 pin wiring to operate trailer brakes.

if you axle has the brake flange and 5 lug wheels then the easiest way is to call Scamp and order the whole brake assy starting from the flange out. They should know what you need.

early 4 lug brake Assy are pretty much obsolete. originally they used 7" Drums.

you need at least loaded brake backing plate. this includes the brake shoes, the magnetic actuator and the brake adjuster Assy, you will need the brake drum and hub assy for the number of lug nuts you have sized to the diameter of you backing plate assy. you will need the mounting bolts 4 for each side. remember there is 2 sides that means 2 of each. the installer will need to run 2 wires up to the trailer pigtail one ground and one power for the brakes. you car will Need a brake controller and a 7 pin trailer coupler.
everything starts if you have a brake backing plate mount behind your current trailer hub.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Great minds think alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
OOPS. AC0GV was posting when i was slowly typing.
My 16' is a 2017 and I think when I was looking 13' brakes were an option but all had the flanges.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
great you are talking about this. I ordered a 2020 Scamp 13’ without electric brakes and might be sorry I didn’t get electric brakes. I understand some states require electric brakes but weight could be the determining factor. the 13’ weight is 1300 without full tanks, but of course, the tanks will usually be full which will increase the weight. Anyone know about retrofitting the 2020 Scamp? the 2020 13’ has 5 lug wheels.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #9

California
if you haven't received the trailer yet have Scamp put them on.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #10
MJo

Massachusetts
brakes

Nick said it’s too late, trailer has been in production for a month. MJo
Old 09-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Nick said it’s too late, trailer has been in production for a month. MJo
Does that mean they are using an axle without the brake mounting plates? Ask that question. If not, I wont say its a deal breaker but its close. Someone speculated that all the new Scamps with have axles with plates as it is only a few dollars more. I sure hope that is the case.

If the the axle has the mounting plates then of course they could add the brakes.. worst case is a little added cost and longer time before you can pick it up. I image the trouble is that they are used to just bolting on the axle with, or without, brakes and would have to order the brakes separate, and they dont want to change their procedure.

But if the axle has the mounting plates then maybe its easier not to argue with them and just add the brakes later, unless you are towing with something like a F-350 and dont care about trailer brakes on a 13.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
MJo

Massachusetts
brakes on a 13’ Scamp

I will be towing with a 2004 Volvo XC-70 with 250,000 miles on it. but before you reply, I should also say that I’ve checked with the dealer who services the car and he said, “No problem, car in good shape, towing a 1300 lb. Scamp would be just like having 4 fat passengers.”. (or something similar.). but, I’ve emailed Nick at Scamp asking what the retro fit would involve. I’ll post his response.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
checked with the dealer who services the car and he said, “No problem, car in good shape

Was there a glint in his eye?
Old 09-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #14
MJo

Massachusetts
Nick says it’s possible to install the brakes for $500. The price list says brakes $275 and controller $350. so I am asking what the $500. includes, i.e. if I would be able to drive out of Backus with my functioning electric brakes. I have looked and there are different controllers which would work with the Scamp brand of brakes.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Nick says it’s possible to install the brakes for $500. The price list says brakes $275 and controller $350. so I am asking what the $500. includes, i.e. if I would be able to drive out of Backus with my functioning electric brakes. I have looked and there are different controllers which would work with the Scamp brand of brakes.
Good follow-up question because I would bet that the price it does not include the brake controller since that is usually part of the tow vehicle (with the AutoTow option that Scamp will install being once exception).

For brake assemblies, wiring, etc figure $200-250. Add $250 for labor. Price seems high but I would guess is fair. What would the added cost be if you had ordered with brakes to start with, compared to your price as actually ordered?
Old 09-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #16
MJo

Massachusetts
brakes

If I had ordered the electric brakes initially, the brakes would have been $275 and the wireless controller would be $350. I have good tires, Pirelli Scorpion Verde’s which I’ve found (for 16 years) to be almost “anti-slip,” plus, I know to slow down. But, as I said, the Volvo dealer said my car is good, should not have a problem towing. I am looking into getting a transmission cooler. (I have maintained it conscientiously over the 16 years I’ve had it.) and I don’t plan to climb Mt. Washington with it.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If it's any consolation, with brakes on the trailer, you won't have to replace the brakes on the Volvo as often.

I used a Subaru to tow a tent trailer with no brakes. Had just had the Subaru brakes serviced, made one emergency stop and had it back in the shop for another $300 brake job. I'm sure that same brake job is $600 today.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #18
MJo

Massachusetts
brakes

Yes, have to think of the cost of replacing the Volvo brakes, not cheap, I’ve been there before. Might just decide the issue for me. thanks, I have been overlooking that. Hey! I thought someone would have helped you by now with your question about what happens to the hole in the swiss cheese? That’s a whole new topic of it’s own. thanks again for reminding me about brakes on my Volvo.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
If I had ordered the electric brakes initially, the brakes would have been $275 and the wireless controller would be $350. ...
If they are adding brakes AND the wireless controller, then $500 is a no brainer. Then if a child chases a ball onto Hwy 371 only a mile from Scamp after you pick up the trailer, you will be prepared. I'm no fan of wireless controllers but for some people and vehicles I don't doubt that they are a reasonable option.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #20

California
I read it as 275 for the brakes. 350 for the controller and 500 for the setup and install.

Tags
brakes, scamp