Redo of 1984 Companion (U-Haul) Trailer - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #161

Name: Joan
Trailer: Companion
Michigan
Registry
Yes, I used Citrustrip on the entire trailer. It did the job- more work required in some places that others. But it did not damage the fiberglass, and didn't make me want to pass out from the fumes. It also was gel-like so that it would adhere to the vertical surface quite well.

It sounds like you've found the pertinent posts, but here's the index to the whole trailer saga- which is still in progress.

My Quality Day: Index for Fiberglass Trailer Refurbish

Good luck!
Joan of Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #162

Name: Brian
Trailer: Ventura 1973
Calgary
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Brian
Parallel49th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:41 AM   #163

Michigan
Registry
I've been busy! Forgot to post some things here, so I'll catch up. I rehung the door and it is better, but not all the issues are solved. It's as good as it's going to get for now.

Improving the door

Old 07-16-2021, 12:49 AM   #164

Michigan
Registry
Extensive Bondo work- better than I thought I could do

Bigger Bondo

The Big Hole

Old 07-16-2021, 12:54 AM   #165

Michigan
Registry
Painting Complete

The exterior painting is complete!

Scrub-a-Dub

Undercoat

First Coat

Details about the painting process

Final Coat and additional comments

Old 07-28-2021, 01:24 PM   #166

Michigan
Registry
I’m going to try to lay out my dilemma with my trailer lights more clearly with the options. First, I’ll list them and then add commentary below. Please note, that except for replacing one clearance light fixture (options 1 or 2) I’ll need to order everything else, so I’d like to get it right the first time. I am very frustrated with this need because I know almost nothing about automotive lights. My first choice is 2, if possible.

1. Keep the original incandescent fixtures.

2. Keep the original fixtures and just put LED bulbs in the sockets

3. Change all the fixtures to LED fixtures. (There are two sub-options to this)

Comments on Option 1
Pros- definitely easy. I need to replace one clearance fixture, but that’s super simple.
This is the time to make any changes before I finish the interior.

Cons-The lights are not bright. I have thought ever since I bought the trailer that someone was going to run into me, not realizing I was braking because they are not visible enough in daylight. I want LEDs

Comments on Option 2
Pros- definitely easy if it works.
Not too expensive, and quick, if I can get the right bulbs. (I do have to replace the one clearance light fixture which I can get locally)

Cons- Trying to figure out which bulbs are correct. The clearance light bulbs are CE 193. I can apparently replace them with CE 194s, and I have found this set as opposed to my local store that wants $7.99 for ONE bulb. https://www.amazon.com/LED-Extremely...ense-Clearance
The taillight bulbs are CEC 1157 (assuming someone put the correct bulb in last time it was changed), and I think I can replace it with these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073S46PX4

Then I discovered this video, so now I’m thinking I shouldn’t do option 2

Comments on Option 3
3a- For this sub option, I would keep the taillight fixture boxes and just put in new sockets. They would need a little bit of jury-rigging, but I don’t have to remove the old boxes, fiberglass the holes and paint.

3b- For this sub option, I would remove the old taillight boxes, fiberglass the holes, paint, etc. and then mount surface units.

Pros- all new equipment would be nice, and would forestall future issues
3b makes adding a license plate light easy, which the trailer does not currently have.

Cons- Time and cost. Con specific to 3a- trying to figure out which sockets are correct.

Extra comment: 3a doesn’t save me any money. By the time I buy all the parts separately, the cost is nearly as much as 3b. The only thing 3a does for me is save the days it will take to do fiberglass and coats of paint.

Any advice welcome.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:59 PM   #167

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A suggestion on the lights. On both our Uhaul CT13 and our Casita 17 I installed a LED light bar over the rear window that is a combination marker / turn / stop light. The reason I did this is because the original stop / turn lights are mounted low on the rear of the trailer, and a vehicle following close, especially a big truck, can't see them. Most important in heavy stop & go traffic.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #168

Michigan
Registry
Thanks for the suggestion. Will price one.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #169

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan of Shark View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Will price one.
The one I installed on our Casita came from superbrightleds.com, part # TLB-R11. Think of it as like the high mount or "third" brake light on newer vehicles. With the tail lights on it lights up to look like 3 individual marker lights, turn lights show up on what side you select, and stop light is both turn lights on, same as a car. The one on the other camper came from Amazon but I don't have the brand or number for that one.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #170

Michigan
Registry
I have gotten behind the 8-ball in keeping this thread up to date. However, before I went on my summer trip with the trailer, I did finish the bench on the other side, installed new exterior lights and more interior electric. Worked on the interior walls, and made a new table. You can see all these things at My Quality Day: Index for Fiberglass Trailer Refurbish Days 127-146

Old 09-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #171

Michigan
Registry
I'm getting the rest of the insulation figured out. Barely made a start.

See My Quality Day: My Trailer Redo - Days 147, 148 - Insulation Experiments

Old 09-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #172

Michigan
Registry
Finally, the curved beadboard walls are done! My Quality Day: My Trailer Redo - Days 149-151 - Beadboard Walls Finished

Tags
companion, re-do, redo, refurbish, u-haul