Escape 17B vs Scamp 16 towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Well Floyd, you’ve got me on that one. I never would have equated the term burning love with Elvis. As I said, I was never a fan and I consider his recordings to be noise pollution. My normal reaction when Elvis comes on when I’m driving is to change the station or turn it off. I do the same for Alanis Morrisette.

As to your advertising jingle “rerun”, sorry. I only find one of those three likable, and that is Sara Lee. I have never found any redeeming qualities in the other two.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul PDX View Post
Hi there,
I'm a complete novice, have never towed anything. I have a Toyota Highlander 2017 with trailer weight rating of 5000 pounds.
I'm deciding between a new Scamp 16 standard or Escape 17B. Although both trailers fall within my tow vehicle's stated capacity, the Escape is longer and heavier.
I live in Oregon and would use on mountain passes and forest service roads.

My question is: Is it significantly easier (or safer) to tow the Scamp 16 (not sure what GVWR is, but dry weight is 2000 pounds) as opposed to Escape 17B (dry weight 2500 or GVWR 4000)? Should the towing differences factor into my decision making process?

Any advice appreciated.
Paul,

I've towed a Casita 17D and an Escape 21, which are not as similar as the two options that you are looking at. However, I'll go out on a limb here and say that I think there's always a balance to be found between travelling a bit lighter on one hand, or alternatively living with a bit more room and storage when you arrive.

Additional to being heavier, the current second-generation Escapes are boxier and will have more wind resistance than the Scamp, but the Escapes are consequently equipped with nice, large, square upper cabinets, and have a more spacious feel. Both companies enjoy good reputations and are very accommodating. In either case you will need to study and select from a large number of options if you are ordering new.

Your tow vehicle has a good reputation for accommodating even heavier trailers than you are looking at, such as the Escape 21, so I think you can focus your attention on which trailer would seem to offer the kind of experience that you would like to have.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #23

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp vs. Escape
Portland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post

Your tow vehicle has a good reputation for accommodating even heavier trailers than you are looking at, such as the Escape 21, so I think you can focus your attention on which trailer would seem to offer the kind of experience that you would like to have.
Thanks, that seems to sum it up. Appreciate all the advice.
Paul PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:42 AM   #24

Name: rick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Colorado
2 1/2 years ago I sold my Scamp 16 and bought an Escape 17B. I tow it with a 2016 Chevy Colorado (with tow package) and I think the Escape tows better than the Scamp did. I don't use any anti-sway bars or levelers and it sits behind my pickup very nicely. Even in high wind situations, it does very well.
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #25

Name: Ervin
Trailer: Moby 1 Teardrop
Oregon
Thanks Rick, nice to hear from real world experience.
Ervin in Portland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, scamp