Scamp or Escape? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Rivets or no rivets.

Factory customization or no customization.

Five year old design or 40 year old design.

Scamp pull behind maxes out at 16 feet. Escape starts at 17 feet.

Some very useful Escape factory options like matching front storage box and surface mounted cord. Not available from Scamp.

For people wanting minimum weight, a basic Scamp WILL weigh a lot less.

Scamp without options will also cost quite a bit less.

A standard Scamp will have a fiberglass interior, which I favor over a wood interior.

The Escape 5.0 TA has no competition IMHO, if you want to go that way.

You decide.

Escape has invested a lot of money updating their shell design, multiple times depending on the trailer size. They now use a standard RV door, better for them, better for owners.

To paraphrase Jerry Maguire: "you had me at no rivets".

+1 million, Lil Snoozy "looks" aerodynamic, it's not. If they flipped the design, it would be aerodynamic.

Dating the Design on the Escape? Think Trillium, also Escape has been building for 19 years with constant change and improvements.

Scamp 40YO Design about equally true, considering 40 years of constant improvement.

Customization? I hear that Escape does offer quite a bit.
Scamp Custom Deluxe? I got mine with lots of Custom mods.

Still, sorry you got "had" with no rivets.

You do make a valid point about buying what you want, but...
If I thought the Escape was somehow "better"... I'd be towing one!

There are plenty of satisfied customers for both trailers,
none more satisfied than I with my Scamp13D.
btw It is not assembled with rivets.

Ray said above that Scamp does offer surface mounted cord.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
well its really your choice your comparing the top of the line Scamp to the lowest level escape and have a hard time making a decision. don't look at the escape 19 or 21 or you will go broke that decision is easy. not allot of deluxe Scamps running around i suggest you contact your salesman and get a visitors list and go look at them. I suggest you look at the Scamp first then the escape. for that much money a plane flight or 2 is warranted.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Don't forget the Scamp Deluxe trailers still in used and over 30years old in very nice condition. I expect no less, and mine is only half way there.
i would not make a straight trade for your gorgeous trailer today, and it is clear the you wouldn't trade me either.
Escape has managed to correct such things as defective frames, DOT wiring problems and other issues...

The trend for years has been to "Upsize" not necessarily "Upgrade".

As you say...
"In the manufacture of any product, there are always a few that are lemons. I believe the same could be said that there are also a few manufactured that would be the exact opposite of lemons. I’m guessing you were fortunate to get one of those."

I am truly glad that you are happy with your Escape, I hope you are still happy a decade from now (like me). I expect it will be so.
There you go making assumptions again Floyd. I’m in my early 70s. A decade from now I may have attended the “big propane/natural gas campfire” and may be “camping” in the Deluxe Urn. Don’t have to service the wheel bearing on that model, or wax the gelcoat!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Dating the Design on the Escape? Think Trillium.

Nope. Think Surfside.
Attached Thumbnails
Surfside.png  
Old 09-03-2020, 03:46 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I own a Scamp and would buy an Escape the next time.

This would be a VERY interesting poll.... but it doesnt exist I'm sure:
How many Scamp owners have switched over to an Escape?
How many ESCAPE owners have switched over to a SCAMP!??

Think about it...
Think about it... 90% of going to a larger trailer is twofootitis.
If someone can't figure out what he really wants, I suggest a couple of used trailers until it can be done.
I assume you bought a bigger truck?

If so, your Scamp is well taken care of and nicely appointed and would draw good money! Tow what you like... buy an Escape!

When you decide to sell, give me a call, I can hook you up with a buyer, probably in a couple of days.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In my honest opinion Escape is nowhere as good as many claim and Scamp is nowhere as bad
We like our Escape but it is not even close to perfect by any stretch of the imagination
We’ve owned 3 different FG trailer and everyone has had flaws and quality issues that required constant vigilance
The notion that because I own brand X , it has to be the best and everything else is a POS has never set well with me.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
There you go making assumptions again Floyd. I’m in my early 70s. A decade from now I may have attended the “big propane/natural gas campfire” and may be “camping” in the Deluxe Urn. Don’t have to service the wheel bearing on that model, or wax the gelcoat!
Never know, but I hope my assumption is right!
Old 09-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
In my honest opinion Escape is nowhere as good as many claim and Scamp is nowhere as bad
We like our Escape but it is not even close to perfect by any stretch of the imagination
We’ve owned 3 different FG trailer and everyone has had flaws and quality issues that required constant vigilance
The notion that because I own brand X , it has to be the best and everything else is a POS has never set well with me.
Exactly! and this forum is for all fiberglass trailer enthusiasts.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #29

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Leslie,

Everyone has different needs and wants.
I know that our configuration would not suite everyone but, it works for us.
You will have to decide what YOU will like!

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND actually looking inside both candidate trailers .... either by attending some rallies or calling Scamp and/or Escape for a list of owners near you that might be willing to show you their trailers. Even then, trailer manufacturers change things over time .... so, what you preview may not be what you eventually get?

When pilots talk about a "mission profile", it means that they are taking into consideration needed payload, mountainous terrain, weather, etc. In other words, how do you plan to use your trailer?

We wanted a 54" bed, a bathroom, a closet, and the at least the option of sleeping a couple of grandkids, etc.

My sister didn't like the fabric that Escape was offering and so she chose her own and sent it up to Escape. They custom made her cushions. I imagine that Scamp would do the same? Scamp cushion foam is too hard for my wife and I to sleep comfortably. Within six weeks of getting our brand new Scamp 16 Deluxe, I traded the original foam for a 3-layer foam cushion interior that sleeps much better. Cushions can be fairly easily changed if you need/want to.

A friend of mine has a Deluxe Layout B and just recently had Scamp install a 9000 BTU Coleman/Airxcel and seems happy with it. 13,000 to 15,000 BTUs is way overkill for our little trailers. My sister and brother-in-law are VERY DISAPPOINTED in the noise level of their Penguin II. We usually go north in the summer and south in the winter. I figure we need AC about 5% of our trips. Your situation may be different ....

Dumping is not my cup of tea either and the Thedford Casette Toilet is one of the things that made me look carefully at the Lil Snoozy. I also thought that the Lil Snoozy might be less drag and easier for our Ford Escape to tow but, after talking with many Lil Snoozy owners, I found out that the big flat area on the back pulled enough vacuum that it wasn't any/much easier to tow than a Scamp, Escape, Casita, etc. Thank goodness we avoided that fiasco ... too many folks lost their deposit (thousands of dollars) when Lil Snoozy folded. $500 to Scamp was a smaller risk and with a company that had been in business for many years!

If you have to dump, two lines isn't necessarily a bad thing .... the gray water washes out the hose after the black water dumping.

Before ordering our Scamp 16 Deluxe, I looked at Snoozy, Casita, Parkliner, Escape, Eggcamper, etc. Every trailer has/had advantages and disadvantages. I don't think there is any such thing as a "perfect trailer" for everyone!

We started our FGRV journey with a Honda CRV (tow rating 1500 lbs) towing a minimalist Scamp 13 Std (big bed). We really liked our friend's Escape 19 but thought that might be too big a leap from our little Scamp13? Maybe in another few years?

For towing, I prefer turbocharged engines (like the Ford Ecoboost) or diesel engines (like my son's Dodge Ram) due to their high torque at low RPM.

Don't let my choices/opinions (or anybody else's) sway you too much. It is going to be YOUR TRAILER. That said, you did ask for our input and I gave you my rationale ... probably worth about what you paid for it!

Again, best of luck on your decision(s)

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:20 AM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
We love our 16' Scamp that we've owned for 10 years. The only upgrades we desire would be a bigger bed (ours is the 45" wide version) and a larger black holding tank.
The Escape 17B would provide both of those upgrades and I was prepared to order one, except my wife found out about the queen sized bed available in the Escape 19, so that's what we are picking up next month.
I have to admit that Ray's deluxe 16 is a beautiful camper and he has the larger bed that is available in the 16' (54" I believe).
I like the large storage box in the front of the Escapes, holds stuff that would otherwise take up room in the camper or tow vehicle.
I may just keep both campers, like Donna Dee! I know the 19 will be a bit harder to park in our son's driveway, the 16' Scamp is a tight fit as it is.
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #31

Name: Rita
Trailer: Escape 17B
Alaska
We bought a new Scamp 13 with bath in 2011. Loved it. We live in Alaska and took it on one round trip on the Ak Highway every year, spending 6 or 7 weeks in the spring and fall in the lower 48 hiking and biking. When Covid hit our truck and trailer were stranded in Phoenix then Oregon and Canadian border closure made it not possible to drive home as usual. It’s complicated. Our son-in-law sold it for us and we thought we would order a new Scamp 16 and by the time it was built the borders would be open. But when we found out the 16 had only 13 inch wheels, like the 13 foot, it was a deal breaker. My husband had gone to a lot of effort to raise the clearance with new high axel and 14 inch tires and didn’t want to do that again. So, we have ordered an Escape 17B. The critical difference for us was the higher clearance with the Escapes 15 inch wheels because we like to boondock. We don’t have it yet but we couldn’t pick it up until the borders are open for recreational travel anyway.
Just our opinion based on experience with potholes and low clearance. Good luck.
RitaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
You can actually have a commercial shipper deliver it for you. Meet them at the AK border. Also it is my understanding that the Canadian border is open for straight through travel from and to AK. No site seeing.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #33

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
I ditto the remarks of the folks who went from Scamp to Escape. We did too. Had a Scamp 16,' then a Scamp Deluxe 19' and now an Escape 5.0 classic single axle. All were purchased used. No regrets on moving over to Escape. Cant remember ever reading a post about anyone going from Escape to Scamp....
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Scamp vs Escape

i bought a used 2001 Scamp 16 layout 6 for 9k instead of a new Escape 17. I have no regrets and have taken my trailer to three coasts over the past three years.

My trailer was nowhere near to perfect. I’ve had lots of stuff break (electrical, plumbing, etc.), but with the help of friends and youtube, I’ve managed to keep everything going. Right now, I’m camped in the rain with my dog after a soggy six mike hike. I can’t imagine a cozier place than my Scamp for my afternoon nap.

If I ever get another fiberglass trailer, it will be for a bigger bed. But every year I hang onto the Scamp, I’m saving money.
northwinds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #35

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
PA
I lived in my 2017 17 b for a year full time.
Works great for one person and small dog
If there are two of you you will be constantly climbing over each other in the double bed

I got the escape because:
liked the customization options

got ultraleather upholstery from sailrite- except...they recommend you buy way too much fabric, and at 60 bucks a yard...ouch!

didn't get air conditioning and didn't miss it
(get a 12v fan from auto parts store.

It's a single axle trailer and is overloaded easily (went through two sets of tires- uneven wear from over loading the axle

Get a weight distribution hitch - sway and porposing are a problem since it is always close to. or exceeding maximum load.

Consider a double axle escape 19 (or scamp or casita) if your tow vehicle can handle the weight. load on each axle is much less than on single axle 17b (or single axle anything)

Consider lithium batteries if you can afford them. makes your electrical system much more dependable.

Escape has a non porous vinyl insulating headliner instead of carpet. This acts a vapor barrier and is easier to keep clean and doesn't soak up water and get moldy like carpet does.

Don't plan on crossing the border into Canada if you buy the escape. Have them deliver it to you in Washington. Canadian customs was absolute hell even before corona. (read my 12/17 Customs purgatory post on the escape trailer forum)

I was very happy with the quality of the cabinets in my escape. doors and face frames were solid oak.
There was no oven, and the stove did not have ignighters (used cigarette lighter
I got the biggest fridge and it was great.

dining area is VERY tight if you order the "gaucho bunk" - I took the bunk out for more room.
If you get solar have them install an external SAE solar panel Jack I. addition to the panel on the roof., Or don't get solar just a renogy solar suitcase- the batteries are right on the back bumper.
I got all the insulation. they had, and was comfortable camping in any weather. If temperatures went below 0 Fahrenheit I had some problems with condensation around the perimeter of the bed. ended up putting layers of reflectix around the perimeter of the mattress.
Siepierski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #36

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
No double axle Scamp or Casita. Double axle on the Escape 19!is overkill but I like it!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #37

Name: Lynne
Trailer: Escape
Idaho
Escape

We have had both and the Escape wins 👍
Gypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I am a function over form type of guy . It seems on these type of discussions the line between the two gets blurred
IE ; Casita has fiberglass cabinets, Escape has wood , one may like the appearance / styling of one over the other but both are perfectly functional
Casita has 2 cushion upholstery color choices , Escape has several but both are perfectly functional

I don’t understand when people bad mouth trailer X because they don’t like the color of the stripe running down the sides of the trailer .
What looks good to me may look like SH_T to you

If I was looking for a new trailer I would want to know about layout , build quality , reliability, warranty , standard features etc etc . I couldn’t care less if the color of the cabinet knobs were brass or chrome , as long as they work I would be happy.
A trailer manufacturer who offers tons of options and executes them all poorly doesn’t impress me .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: Waiting on 16" Scamp
Colorado Springs
My humble opinion....

First off, I believe that fb molded design is inherently better/more leak proof than stick/tin and has better resale. Perfect? No. Much better? Yes. Had stick/tin; constantly stressed about rot.

However, in the world there are 7' garage doors and there are 8' + garage door.s I really really really (enough?) don't want to ever deal with a storage lot again; ever; ever. We looked at Scamp vs Escape and have read various pros and cons, but nothing that is overwhelming; Escape might have an edge in initial quality. The thing that kicked Escape out is the exterior height is always above 8' and the interior height is 5' 10". The Scamp 16 w/o A/C (knew someone would ask that...) is like 7' 10" exterior and 6'2" interior. I suppose the difference is insulation and that's valid, but to us? Nope; putting it in our garage trumps all if the quality is anywhere on par.

So, Scamp vs Escape? Whatever twirls your bolts.......
mm2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #40

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I never met a rivet in a trailer I liked.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, scamp