78 Surfside hitch lock - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 06:04 AM   #1

Name: Cody
Trailer: 1973 Triple e surfside
Manitoba
Thumbs up 78 Surfside hitch lock

Hi Guys,
I'm just curious if anyone has a locking tow hitch for their Surfside? I recently purchased a 78' and looking for peace of mind for our long haul from Winnipeg to Chicago next weekend.
Codycliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codycliff View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm just curious if anyone has a locking tow hitch for their Surfside? I recently purchased a 78' and looking for peace of mind for our long haul from Winnipeg to Chicago next weekend.
We use a hitch lock when towing our Scamp, which gives peace of mind. Originally we bought this combo pack:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But after two seasons of towing, the pin that goes through the hitch broke so we just purchased a new locking pin from Home Depot (because the original broke while we were getting ready to leave last weekend and we stopped by Home Depot on the way out of town!). We'll see how long that lasts. The pin goes through the hole in the hitch and ensures that it can't pop open and unlatch while towing. Or that someone can't remove while we are parked somewhere
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #3

Name: Cody
Trailer: 1973 Triple e surfside
Manitoba
So will this just prevent anyone from stealing it or will it also lock it to my hitch? Height adjustable or attachable to my existing hitch?
Codycliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hitch Lock Combo :

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
We use a hitch lock when towing our Scamp, which gives peace of mind. Originally we bought this combo pack:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But after two seasons of towing, the pin that goes through the hitch broke so we just purchased a new locking pin from Home Depot (because the original broke while we were getting ready to leave last weekend and we stopped by Home Depot on the way out of town!). We'll see how long that lasts. The pin goes through the hole in the hitch and ensures that it can't pop open and unlatch while towing. Or that someone can't remove while we are parked somewhere
============================================
I also bought a combo pack like that; it was from Reese and featured a yellow colored ball hitch, the pin lock, and the brass padlock for the coupler. It was nice to have all three locks the same ! But like yours, the lock failed on the " Pin" through the receiver, probably after 3-5 years. So I bought another combo set from Wal Mart pretty reasonably, so the old set is on my utility trailer, and the newer set on my Scamp.
One thing I found is that WalMart also sells the small brass 'coupler' padlock separately. By checking numbers and 'fit' as I visit different WalMarts, I have found some extra locks that will fit my key. So instead of having a 3 lock combo, I can have a 4 or 5 lock combo, or at least until I lose one of the padlocks. Now someone may wonder if robbers could visit lots of WalMarts and get a collection of locks and KEYS, and go wild snatching up trailers across the land. Not to worry, it takes a LOT of traveling, which I do anyway, to match up even one or two new locks to my key. No thief in his right mind would invest in the gasoline to gain a few keys out of the dozens or hundreds. Only a fiberglas trailer owner would do that !
And possibly Reese keeps changing keys and numbers, there are so many, and so few matches. But it keeps a Scamper occupied as he travels .
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside