Just purchased '02 Bonair Oxygen - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Does anyone know how many Oxygen trailers were produced before Bonair went bankrupt? Seems a terrible shame, considering what an absolutely beautiful trailer it is.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #22

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Registry
Talking

We did a lot of research on the Oxygen and it's two years of production. We spoke to former Bonair dealers and also found some info on the bankruptcy protection Peak/Bonair was trying to obtain via the internet

Prior to the 2001 models, Bonair had not produced ar new model for two years while they developed the new lightweight Oxygen trailers. Apparently the 2001 model year had only 30 units built and ALL were returned to bonair by the dealers for various quality control and weight problems. Peak purchased the company and repaired and/or dismantled those units during the rest of that year.

For the 2002 model year, 70 units were produced (after fixing those prior concerns) and all were sold to retail dealers and customers before Peak and it's subsidiary companies went bankrupt.

I have spoken to a few dealers over the last couple of weeks and was told that in fact the 2002 model year was very successful and they had waited for more units to no avail.

So hopefully....ours being an '02 model it should be 'smooth sailing'.
Trevor and Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #23

Registry
Incidentally...some dealers said they did not do well (for them) at all because of the price.

You never know. I do know that it is the perfect fit for us and we still can't wait to get out there.

T and T
Old 04-18-2006, 10:30 AM   #24

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I'm trying to imagine a perfect tow vehicle for it, one that would be complementary, as in an art form...
Although there are cars with vertical tapered hoods that would echo the Oxygen shape well, I think the most generally egg-shaped tug around is the (long out of production) Toyota Previa. I think at least one FiberglassRV member tows with one.

For those who can't picture one, here are some Airflow images.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #25

Brian, Thanks for the Airflow images.Ours looks like Chuck Cochran's '34 except it's a four door. It is even gray so it matches the Oxygen for now

Trevor and Tracey, The cushions I meant are not for the beds, but for the walls for back rests if you are sitting on the permanent bed. The problem is where to stash them when you got to said bed. Just 2 more things to dump on the table. Somewhere way- back- when Dale Baxter took some interior shots of our trailer and those cushion s may be on the back bed. It was our first trip and we didn't know not to bother taking them. A search of Dale and Pat Baxter's postings or of Oyxgen postings may find it if that is a part that the techno whizes here were able to restore.
70 Huh? Well they've got to be out there somewhere. Several went to Alberta and some to B.C. 1 to Texas -Denis drove up to Northern Ontatio to pick his up! There must be a bunch of them in Quebec or New Brunswick i.e. closer to the factory.
Problems?.. We had water coming onto bed through seal of window behind bathroom ( 2nd window back of door) last summer. Trying to find a stick on bumper-shooter to go over the windows, but windows pivot out so clearance is an issue. No luck yet.
jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Incidentally...some dealers said they did not do well (for them) at all because of the price.
How much were they, new?

As I keep repeating, the Oxygen has to be one of the coolest looking fiberglass eggs. You'd have to go to one of those funky European fiberglass caravans to find something to match it in total coolness.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:38 PM   #27

i did the search:
the interior pix are under 'Legacy Posts', and the pictures boxes do not open. They were under Patricia Baxter and Dale did the pictures.
jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Brian, Thanks for the Airflow images.Ours looks like Chuck Cochran's '34 except it's a four door. It is even gray so it matches the Oxygen [b]for now

Trevor and Tracey, The cushions I meant are not for the beds, but for the walls for back rests if you are sitting on the permanent bed. The problem is where to stash them when you got to said bed. Just 2 more things to dump on the table. Somewhere way- back- when Dale Baxter took some interior shots of our trailer and those cushion s may be on the back bed. It was our first trip and we didn't know not to bother taking them. A search of Dale and Pat Baxter's postings or of Oyxgen postings may find it if that is a part that the techno whizes here were able to restore.
70 Huh? Well they've got to be out there somewhere. Several went to Alberta and some to B.C. 1 to Texas -Denis drove up to Northern Ontatio to pick his up! There must be a bunch of them in Quebec or New Brunswick i.e. closer to the factory.
Problems?.. We had water coming onto bed through seal of window behind bathroom ( 2nd window back of door) last summer. Trying to find a stick on bumper-shooter to go over the windows, but windows pivot out so clearance is an issue. No luck yet.
jean
Hi Jean,

The same window on ours had water coming in, and believe it or not after it went to the RV dealership to get looked at for new rubber stripping, all they had to do was tighten the hinges. You can spray them with a fire hose now and water won't get in.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #29
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
i did the search:
the interior pix are under 'Legacy Posts', and the pictures boxes do not open. They were under Patricia Baxter and Dale did the pictures.
jean
Aw, drat. We only have two O2 pics in the Albums. (We didn't lose the Albums in The Big Hack.) Do y'all have interior pics you can post or re-post? We need to have the O2 (better) represented.

Pat and/or Dale were on here the other day... I wonder if they still have those old pics...

FWIW, this old RV Times article has some interior pics. Interesting shape(s) those cushions have...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Aw, drat. We only have two O2 pics in the Albums. (We didn't lose the Albums in The Big Hack.) Do y'all have interior pics you can post or re-post? We need to have the O2 (better) represented.

Pat and/or Dale were on here the other day... I wonder if they still have those old pics...

FWIW, this old RV Times article has some interior pics. Interesting shape(s) those cushions have...

If we are all talking about the cushions that are sitting on the main bed (in that pic in the article) then we have them, and they are designed to go over the table when you let it down to make it into a bed. The back rests on the dinette area itself stay there. Those two cushions on the main bed go side by side to cover the table to make the other bed up.

They fit perfectly.

Trev
Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Hi Jean,

The same window on ours had water coming in, and believe it or not after it went to the RV dealership to get looked at for new rubber stripping, all they had to do was tighten the hinges. You can spray them with a fire hose now and water won't get in.

Hi again Jean,

So who all has Oxygens here on fiberglassrv.com? Donna had 3 other people (including yourselves) or was it four? I'm losing what's left of my mind.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Although there are cars with vertical tapered hoods that would echo the Oxygen shape well, I think the most generally egg-shaped tug around is the (long out of production) Toyota Previa. I think at least one FiberglassRV member tows with one.

For those who can't picture one, here are some Airflow images.
Toyota Previa -- good choice, and it would probably work great in real life also.

Maybe a gallic marque would be more appropriate, say a Citroen DS 21?

For those with a stiffer upper lip I would think any of the Jaguar models, ranging from mid 60's to present and from sedan to drop head coupe' would be real head turners.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:01 PM   #33

Trailer: 75 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Toyota Previa -- good choice, and it would probably work great in real life also.

Maybe a gallic marque would be more appropriate, say a Citroen DS 21?

For those with a stiffer upper lip I would think any of the Jaguar models, ranging from mid 60's to present and from sedan to drop head coupe' would be real head turners.

Guess that makes me the 2nd member who will tow with a Toyota Previa
A 91 Previa to tow a 75 Boler...15yr old tow for a 31yr old egg
Norm Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:10 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:

I've got some interior/exterior shots at the beginning of this thread. They came out as best as I could get them to.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #35
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I've got some interior/exterior shots at the beginning of this thread. They came out as best as I could get them to.
Of course you do.

What can I say? I have a short attention span and a memory like a sieve.

Oh, Donna...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #36

Registry
Hi Trevor and Tracy.
Congratulations on your new Oxygen. I'm sure you will love it. We took ours down to Texas last spring and it towed beautifully. No problems at all.
I was curious how much you paid for your unit. Unfortunately we have to sell ours since my wife is ill. If you don't want to post on the site, then perhaps you could email me.
When I get some more time I will fill you in on the good, bad, and ugly that we have discovered with the Oxygen.
Stay tuned.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:10 PM   #37

Registry
Hi Trevor and Tracy.
Here are some thoughts after three years of owning an Oxygen. If I think of more I will add to this post:

1) We love this Rig!
2) It pulls easy. We get about 20 miles per imperial gallon when pulling with our 4 liter 1999 Explorer.
3) The bed is difficult to make, being surrounded by walls on 3.5 sides. Also getting in and out is a trick. It was always a debate with us which end to rest our heads. Try all positions 'till you find one you like.
4) We made a new hinged base for the bed out of 3/8 plywood and threw away the pieces of plywood that covered the openings. MUCH easier to access the storage.
5) You have already experienced the falling kitchen window. Beware, others may follow if you don't wire or glue the latches. At the very least, check all latches before travelling each day.
6) The refigerator control only controls actual temperature on 110 volts. I don't think this is unique to this trailer. 12 volts will surely freeze all. We used propane while travelling. Just remember to shut off BEFORE you pull into a gas station.
7) We installed a shower in ours and found it one of the most used add-ons. I posted the instructions a long time ago, but they have been wiped out. If you are interested I will post again.
8) Only one instance of problems pulling. We almost flipped it coming through Montana. Side winds were gusting to 70 mph. We were nuts to be there.
9) Lock both locks on the door. If you don't, the door may fly open while you are travelling.
10) When you have filled the water tank, turn on the pump and turn on the hot water tap. This will fill the hot water tank also, and you can put 10 more gallons in the tank.
11) Leave the black water drain closed and put a drain hose on the sewer cap and run grey water into a 10 gallon jug. This will give you much needed space in your black water tank. (when you're not connected to sewer)
12) You will have to put up with LOTS of looky-loos. Be nice, after all, you are the one with the weird looking RV. I thought of charging for tours. Could have made a LOT of cash, but we met lots of nice folks instead.
13) We love this rig!

Again, Have fun. This rig is incredibly strong. I don't think you could break it unless you rolled it. Even then, I suspect it would be salvageable.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hi all,

We've just moved 'up' from the tenting world and have purchased a 2002 Bonair Oxygen.

We found it locally with about 7 hours of towing on it. It had only been used three times and to the closest provincial park. Like new off the floor.

It's a beauty offering us everything we need .

I know Bonair (Peak) has been closed since 2004, so if anyone else out there has an Oxygen or can offer us tips/info etc. it would be much apprecialted.

Thanks,
Trevor and Tracy
Hello Trevor and Tracy,
I just purchased a used 2003/2004 Bonair Oxygen but it needs a bit of work. I never got the lenses for the tail lights[I only received the LED lights with holders but no covers]. I was wondering if you know anywhere that sells them or if you had some pictures of the tail lights. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Mike from Canmore, AB
403-678-4619
Michael Olsthoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #39

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Oooohhhh, I like it! I never heard of those! Sure wouldn't mind finding one! How come so many FGRV's seem to come out of Canada?

Quote:
Indeed!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #40

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Pete,

I just replied to Trevor and Tracy regarding some tail light lenses for the Oxygen. Do you know where I can get some or an after market that will fit.
Secondly, wondering about replacing a window and where to get them. Thanks

Mike from Canmore, AB
403-678-4619
Michael Olsthoorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oxygen