Picked up a 1973 Amerigo 16F - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Picked up a 1973 Amerigo 16F

So a trailer happened. Yup. Saw one in the local classifieds that a gutted (unfortunately) 1973 Amerigo was for sale, $475. I went and took a look at it. Guy said him and his son bought it to turn into a food trailer and didn't bother to save any interior... Yeah. Frame and body was in decent enough shape that I could work it out and I took it home. The registration says it is a 16F model.

I plan on putting in aluminum or steel ribbing, supports for an a/c roof unit, properly redoing what was left of the bathroom closet (I think it was this and a faulty vent that did the trailer in originally) and adding a shower too, or I might not do anything major. Maybe just a simple job of putting in a new floor, fix the fiberglass where it needs it, new paint, and sell the shell.

https://youtu.be/ekWewlNeUuk

I just uploaded the link to youtube, so let me know if it isn't working.

Thanks!
Patdeesky
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #2

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Amerigo

Even gutted, you got a great deal. You can build the interior to your own specs and needs! Bravo!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Yes, that is a great deal! If all of the windows & doors come with it that is a big plus as replacements are hard to come by.

Keep in mind that your amerigo FG-16 has a one piece fiberglass ceiling & that is held up in place by the window framing and the cabinets ~closet area. I would try to include those in your rebuild plans for the strength & overall integrity they provide.

Good luck with your project, Post up some pics when you can!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #4

Name: Samantha
Trailer: Amerigo
Vermont
Great Deal! I have a 1973 my husband and I just redid last summer, we love ours
skpcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome another 1973 Amerigo and lucky owners!

Wow, no cabinets, no wood interior, all guesswork for someone who hasn't done an amerigo before. But a fun challenge!

We refurbished a 1973 amerigo in 2015-2016.

You can see some of my threads-- try searching under topics like: Kai, 1973 brown amerigo, Fear of Fiberglassing, etc.

Be aware the ceiling has molded-in areas specifically to place & secure your galley area, closet/fridge cabinet, and front niche (which was not manufactured as a bathroom, but as a closet); a great number of these had a toilet plumbed in, which was the weakest spot for rot to begin...we discovered our floor area in there as too small for anything but storage of several items including a porta-potti...not big enough to turn around in.
Depends on how you choose to build it, of course...but real estate is real estate. You even have all the logos outside!

Wow. Great price! Good luck with it!

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
1A 2 In our driveway October 2015.jpg   1A 10 By the fresh water inlet.jpg  

1A 12 Rot washed with bleach, hose-rinsed, and drying in the days before lift-off.jpg   Peanut 8 2016 C.jpg  

Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeesky View Post
So a trailer happened.
Uh, oh, it sounds like you now officially have a third job!

"Trailers happen"... I like it; it sounds like something that would make a good logo for a T-shirt.

I wish you the best and hope you'll post your progress on the forum.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
first of all

first of all congratulations you got a steal a little work but you will realize after some sweat equity a very nice camper all your own!

There are some great rebuilders here who can help you with your venture and you will be able to fix it up your way. Several here are master painters it seems that will help you along.

best of luck with your new venture

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeesky View Post
I plan on putting in aluminum or steel ribbing
Patrick,

What do you mean by ribbing?

One of the things that affects these little trailers is their limited insulation. The high humidity we introduce as we cook and exhale inside of them leads to condensation on the colder surfaces such as metal window frames.

The framing I see is typically wood. People shape small members to follow the shape of the fiberglass, or occasionally even build them up with laminations. Metal members would tend to cause more condensation in this application than wood will. It might be something to consider.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #9

Name: Ruth
Trailer: Amerigo
Washington
Registry
Just getting the word out....want to start chatting with other Amerigo FG16 owners....I have a 1973....super shape....want to fix a few minor things.....get ideas....thank you!!
Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Giggles: I see you're from Washington...if you're anywhere near Seattle. If you'll check the September calendar, which you can click on at the very top of any of these pages, you'll see the SAFE, which will be at Dash Point State Park. You are very welcome to attend! Paul and I would LOVE to see another amerigo in person!

BEST
Kai
Old 10-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: shopping
Michigan
If-you-still-have-the-Amerigo-shell,-and-are-still-wanting-to-sell-it,-I-am-VERY-interested-in-it!!!!!--You-can-contact-me-at-313-790-9602-anytime!--I-am-in-Michigan!-Thanks!-Brian
AmerigoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Trailer has been sold.
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo