Little Joe Owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Washington
Little Joe Owners

Hi. New guy here. We are looking hard at getting a new Little Joe trailer. The manufacture is a little too far away to visit just to look, at least at this stage. I know its dimensions and they work for us. I am hoping for some feedback from owners about quality, durability, towing dynamics, any real world input would be appreciated. I am planning buying with trailer brakes, but don't anticipate weights in excess of 2000#. Also don't plan on buying with kitchen modules. Thanks, Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
JAY-N-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you'll go down to the bottom of this page, you'll see similar threads and it will have at least some of the previous discussions on Little Joe. I think it is the neatest trailer out there but too small for us. And, welcome!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #3

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
Most recent post was five years ago. Anybody know what the base cost is for Little Joe and how many units they make a year? In five or six years of looking, I've only seen on for sale in Texas.
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Little Joe used to be sold through dealers, there was once a dealer just south of Portland, Oregon. Maybe try to contact the manufacturer through their website: Lightweight Trailers - Compact Travel Campers - Weiscraft Trailers
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Jim! Unfortunately, Little Joes are pretty rare, even on a forum dedicated to molded fiberglass trailers. Hopefully someone with personal experience will chime in soon. In the meantime...

Have you asked the manufacturer for an owner referral? I don't know about Weiscraft, but many of the other manufacturers that sell direct-from-factory keep a file of owners willing to demo their trailers to prospective buyers.

You could also dig through the registry and classified archives. You might turn up a forum member who has/had one that way and send a PM. It's a long shot, but you never know.

Best wishes in your quest!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #6

If you're interested in a custom built, there's Pelsue in Colorado. They custom build very similar to the Little Joe: POD | Pelsue
Old 03-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #7

The RV Buyer's Guide Listing

Every year I buy a copy of the "RV Buyer's Guide" and I just got the most issue for this year. Not all manufacturers list since it is expensive to do that but Weis Craft Trailers has 2 listings, for the Little Joe, they list an approximate base retail price of $11,800. I don't know if they list it on their website but other stats: UVW: 1,100 lbs (before options), GVWR: 2,999 lbs., Hitch Weight: 160 lbs. Ext Length: 12'6", Ext Width: 5'8", Ext. Height: 7'4", and Int. Height: 6'. Options add to the UVW (unloaded vehicle weight).

I have seen used ones come up a couple of times and usually in the western US. I don't believe they produce very many since it appears to be a very small operation.

Looking at Donna D's post I remembered that I sometimes see those used utility trailers that look like Little Joe on the used vehicle lots in town so if one was looking used, they might be able to find something to modify at a pretty good price.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The Little Joe used to be sold through dealers, there was once a dealer just south of Portland, Oregon. Maybe try to contact the manufacturer through their website: Lightweight Trailers - Compact Travel Campers - Weiscraft Trailers
Didn't we have a member here who has one that they brought it to the Oregon gathering for a few years?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
FWIW, before there was the Little Joe, there was the Lite House.

We looked at the Lite Houses (at the factory) before purchasing our first Casita, back in 1996.

I can't say so for sure, but the Little Joe seems to be an update of the Lite House. (If not the same molds, they are very similar.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you're interested in a custom built, there's Pelsue in Colorado. They custom build very similar to the Little Joe: POD | Pelsue
I've seen these trailers "on the job", being used for their intended purpose: splicing.
They are built like tanks and weigh almost twice as much as a Little Joe. They look like they would be bombproof for going over rough roads for boondocking.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I emailed for a price list a few months ago. If someone can tell me how to post a pdf document, I'll upload it.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
I emailed for a price list a few months ago. If someone can tell me how to post a pdf document, I'll upload it.
Is the info you are needing: Fiberglass RV - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages If not, I don't have a clue and maybe someone else can help.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Weiscraft Little Joe and Rough Neck price sheets attached.

When I emailed for pricing, I was told they only sold the units in Colorado, and didn't ship (or -- that's how I read the reply.)

Thanks Cathy P for the how to link.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WEIS CRAFT TRAILER Little Joe.pdf (34.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: pdf Weis Craft Rough Neck.pdf (33.3 KB, 36 views)
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #14

You're welcome!

I was a little surprised at the grand total if electing several of the options. I think some of the other manufacturers might just sell a more basic unit, stripped down or empty and one could build from that. Oh, everything is expensive to me since I remember when gas was 19 cents a gallon.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #15

Washington
Thanks for all the responses. I have had several back and forth communications with Raymond at Weiscraft. Thanks to Cathy P for referencing previous similar threads, I have had some very informative feedback from actual Little Joe owners. And thanks to others on this forum, I have committed to trailer brakes on whatever I get, no matter how lightly loaded. Getting hitch and brake controller installed Monday. Still shopping for trailers. Used Scamp a possibility, but if the new Little Joe wasn't so expensive, I feel it would be the perfect match for us right now. Especially like 15" wheels. Any comments on Scamp 13 " wheels?

Old 03-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #16

Texas
Well, on my fantasy Little Joe, I went up to $14,000 PDQ by electing AC, 3-speed fan, 3-way fridge, roof rack. Still, it would be the most ideal unit for us, because
1. interior height
2. wouldn't need a new tow
3. I think they are awesome!
Comparable in price to a folding trailer like ALiner or Chalet.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY-N-H View Post
...Still shopping for trailers. Used Scamp a possibility, but if the new Little Joe wasn't so expensive, I feel it would be the perfect match for us right now. Especially like 15" wheels. Any comments on Scamp 13 " wheels?
The prices are definitely in Scamp territory. Weight isn't much less, either, assuming you stick with a similarly-equipped trailer, but the Scamp has a lot more room inside. Frontal area affects towing, though, so you'll definitely feel more trailer behind you with a Scamp. As to the wheels, it depends on where you plan to go with it. Scamp's 13" wheels are fine on the highway and on graded back roads, and cheaper to buy (especially since, on a trailer, you'll likely replace them due to age long before the tread wears out).

Have you considered a pop-top fiberglass unit like Hunter or Campster? More room than Little Joe, less weight and frontal area than Scamp, and very reasonably-priced on the used market. My first choice would be a Hunter Compact Jr. because it's a bit narrower and the bed is oriented north-south like the Little Joe. This is an old ad, but a nice example:
1972 Hunter Compact: | Hesperia, CA | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #18

Texas
There was a Hunter Compact for sale in the Killeen, TX area last year. It had been nicely redone, but was painted black outside with logos for some type of skunk scented hunter's product. I'm still kicking myself for not just going for it, but couldn't wrap my head around a black trailer in a hot, hot climate like Texas. Once fiberglass has been painted, can it be re-painted?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
There was a Hunter Compact for sale in the Killeen, TX area last year. It had been nicely redone, but was painted black outside with logos for some type of skunk scented hunter's product. I'm still kicking myself for not just going for it, but couldn't wrap my head around a black trailer in a hot, hot climate like Texas. Once fiberglass has been painted, can it be re-painted?
Yes, it can be repainted. The couple that purchased that black compact in Texas are having a ball with it! I follow them on one of the Facebook groups.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #20

Washington
Thanks Jon, very helpful.

Tags
little joe