Electric only Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #1

Name: Helga
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Electric only Scamp

I’d like to have my propane heater, fridge and stove removed from my 1981 Scamp. I wonder if anyone can give me an idea of what it might cost? Where should I begin looking for someone qualified to do it?
Helga in WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Find someone who wants it and it could be free. Of course you will need to patch outside of trailer where furnace vented.

You might even consider an ad in the for sale section: free appliances if you remove.

Mobile RV service around here is about $75/hour. Id guess 4 hours, but that’s just a guess.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If there is an RV used parts business nearby and the items you want to remove are in working condition and can be resold then they might remove them for a small fee.

But you could also try contacting a local mobile RV service and if they are in good condition for reuse negotiate the price for removal down to something reasonable by including the appliances as part of the service fee.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Perhaps all it takes is to remove the LP tank(s) on the hitch, the stove top, and heater. The LP piping could be capped off and left in place, in case a future owner would want to restore it. The Fridge can be operated on 12V and 120V so no need to revise that, unless you want to install a compressor type fridge.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #5

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 13
Georgia
You may have partially answered a question/issue I've been dealing with, but I would appreciate your thoughts. I have a '07 Scamp 13 I bought used. The previous owner had an aversion to propane; so, they had the stovetop removed as well as the propane furnace; then they resurfaced the counter top. The outside propane tank is Not connected to the Scamp. Underneath the counteer top are the 2 copper tubings, UNCAPPED that went to the stove & furnace.
What I want to do:
1. Cap only one of the tubes; I have no intention of installing a propane furnace. How is this done safely?
2. I would like to have an adapter attached to the other copper propane tube so I could connect a propane hose to it to go to my Coleman 2-burner camping stove which I will use in lieu of the traditional stove top. Is this feasible/possible & what is involved or what is the best way to go about this?

Thanx in advance for any help/advice you can provide.
Best,
Richard Goudeau
rjg433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helga in WI View Post
I’d like to have my propane heater, fridge and stove removed from my 1981 Scamp. I wonder if anyone can give me an idea of what it might cost? Where should I begin looking for someone qualified to do it?
Removal is pretty easy and any good DIYer can handle that in a day. But if you are planning on restoring the many left over holes, then figure $1,500 - $2, 000 or so. A boat shop or some auto body shops could do the fiberglass restoration. Or you can do like I did and go back to Scamp HQ in Backus, MN.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg433 View Post
What I want to do:...
I suggest you start a new thread rather that try to hijack Helga's thread.

I'm not saying you'll get a response but her wanting total removal is a different issue than what you are pursuing...
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg433 View Post
You may have partially answered a question/issue I've been dealing with, but I would appreciate your thoughts. I have a '07 Scamp 13 I bought used. The previous owner had an aversion to propane; so, they had the stovetop removed as well as the propane furnace; then they resurfaced the counter top. The outside propane tank is Not connected to the Scamp. Underneath the counteer top are the 2 copper tubings, UNCAPPED that went to the stove & furnace.
What I want to do:
1. Cap only one of the tubes; I have no intention of installing a propane furnace. How is this done safely?
2. I would like to have an adapter attached to the other copper propane tube so I could connect a propane hose to it to go to my Coleman 2-burner camping stove which I will use in lieu of the traditional stove top. Is this feasible/possible & what is involved or what is the best way to go about this?

Thanx in advance for any help/advice you can provide.
Best,
Richard Goudeau
Any good hardware store should have plugs or caps to fit the open ends of the propane tubes. All ends should be plugged to keep dirt and bugs out.
Also, an extension hose for your stove should be readily available.
Best to go direct from the tank, but, some campers do have an outside LP outlet.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #9

Name: marty
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helga in WI View Post
If you were close enough i would do it for what i am taking out. I am in Western NY
kayaker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I did this to my 1988 Scamp. Plugged or capped the propane lines with the appropriate fittings from Home Depot. I left the lines as I (or someone else) might want to reuse them in the future. I installed a Truckfridge for refrigeration, cook outside, and on those rare occasions I need heat I use a Little Buddy. I plan on installing a Propex heater at some point and use an "insta-hot" water heater someday. In the meantime we heat water on the Coleman in two tea kettles bought cheap at flea markets.

The heater vent holes were closed with a piece of copper sheet and caulk behind the existing Suburban plate. The copper is tarnished and is dark enough that you can't tell it from the old rusty pipes that used to be there. The water heater hole was enlarged and closed with an RV access door bought off ebay. Having the access from the outside is nice! No regrets in making our Scamp suit us and our way of camping and removing decades old appliances.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #11

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Helga,
Glad to see another who prefers all-electric!

Seems funny to me so many people DO want all-electric, and are willing to take everything else out and cap/seal/fiberglass it closed including repainting inside and out as necessary...while others hate that and want all the bells and whistles and boondocking capabilities...and more so, that they seem to buy each others' trailers and have to make all the changes and switches (not always, of course!).

When we sell our all-electric Peanut one day, I hope whoever gets it wants the simple simple simple style and doesn't have to try to undo our "desecratons!"

I can see it both ways and a lot of ways in the middle as well...YMMV, Your Mileage May Vary, to each his own, different strokes for different folks, etc.

Paul did it all himself. The 40-year old crusted appliances were given to local recycle places that took them for free. We had heard the old stove/oven/heater had a little CO2 leakage problem that was the final straw for us--before the other final straws of pipes and wires corroded through, water damage, holes...Paul did it all. He learned a LOT and we really did love the whole process and we love Peanut as plain as it can be.

If we were close, he could easily and would readily help you. But sadly, WI is more than a vowel away from WA!

Good luck to you; we're simplicity hounds when it comes to camping. Well, if you include a little microwave and ceramic heater, of course. And ready-to grill steaks wrapped in bacon direct from the grocery store. For cooking outside.

BEST

Kai

"K"
Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #12

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Some people like to boondock, some vacation, some use them for mobile "hotel rooms".
Personally I have an almost all electric 16 foot Scamp (except for an external LP gas tankless water heater).
Connie did not want any LP in the trailer so all electric.
No boondocking
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Good for you! There is no right or wrong. Just do what fits your travel best!

Tags
scamp