Advice for buying a Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Good move!

The one option I would give serious consideration to is a refrigerator. A standard Scamp comes with just an ice box.
I’d say just get the option package. The fridge is included, and for little more than the stand-alone fridge you get a long list of nice stuff, including a screen door and a battery. It’s a good value if you can swing it.

I’d also delete the escape hatch vent and have a fantastic fan installed in the center.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
You could look at Little Joe as well, dry weight is 1100 pounds. You will be over your budget for a new one, though. I think they are around $15K.

They are located in Colorado, so you could visit the factory easily (I'm guessing it is a pretty small operation compared to Scamp/Casita etc., you don't see many around).

Little Joe Lightweight Trailer - Compact Camper Trailer for 2 by Weiscraft Trailers
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
$9500 for a mid 1980's Scamp is high as if not already replaced the axle is overdue and the frame may well have cracks in the bends, not to mention the high possibility of a bad floor.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #24

Arizona
Registry
Advice for buying a Scamp

The original post did mention a new axle and a lot of other renovation work. My fear for an inexperienced buyer is if the renovation didn’t deal with the “bones”- floor and frame- it perhaps didn’t go far enough.

A complete renovation of a 40-year-old trailer is easily worth $10K. But a partial renovation can be worse than none, and it takes a careful inspection to spot the difference.

The OP would do well to keep searching for a late model used Scamp while she waits for the new one. The deposit is 100% refundable until they start building it, so nothing to lose except interest on $500 for 6 months (which won’t even buy a decent cup of coffee these days).
Old 05-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #25

Name: Maria
Trailer: Casita
GA
For a little bit more, you can get a new one.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #26

Name: Maria
Trailer: Casita
GA
For a little bit more, you can get a new one. $9500 for a 40 year old trailer seems very high to me.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #27

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Might want to re-read her earlier posts, or we’re going to get some serious thread drift. We’ll have her in a nice new Bigfoot next!
Or this:

https://bowlusroadchief.com/endless-highways/

Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #28

Name: Josie
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Lol, my transmission would be shot before I got out of my driveway but that looks very nice. I could sit in my yard in it and pretend to be on vacation.
Jo in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #29

Redding, California
Registry
And the monthly payment is twice what my mortgage payment is on my house...
Old 05-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #30

Colorado
I love those little Airstreams with the huge curved front window. I don't think I'm in the tax bracket for an Airstream. On the bright side, I can say I'm not getting it because it's too heavy, not because it's too pricey.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #31

Arizona
Registry
Not an Airstream. It’s a Bowlus Road Chief, a modern reproduction of a 30’s era design by an aircraft builder of the same name, with the door in front.

The price tag starts about where Airstream leaves off... :eek

It’s actually a cool little trailer with some high-tech features and very lightweight (though not as light as a Scamp 13). Definitely way out of my league!
Old 05-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #32

Redding, California
Registry
The Bowlus Road Chief – Endless Highways is $185,000 or can be financed as low $942/month.

GVWR = 4,000 lbs, and nowhere as cute as a Scamp.... just saying. (Well, there's no accounting for taste. )

Harold
Attached Thumbnails
road chief.jpg  
Old 05-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #33

Name: Tammy
Trailer: In the market
Tennessee
Run...don't walk

That's WAY overpriced for a 40-year-old camper. I've ordered a Scamp from the factory, and I was able to add what I wanted an omit what I didn't. I was surprised that the cost was more reasonable that I expected. I ordered the new Scamp after finding several deals for older Scamps that were either a scam, a rebuilt piece of junk or just basically not worth it. I bought an older Aliner a few years ago and ended up gutting it and completely renovating it. I could've bought an amazing new camper for what I have in that Aliner. I'm looking forward to having my brand-new Scamp that is mine alone. I'll know what's going on with and not have to worry about what the last owner did or didn't do to it. I hope you find a good camper!
Tami B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:55 PM   #34

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
I didn't think the price was that bad--but I'd save $ on updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tami B View Post
That's WAY overpriced for a 40-year-old camper. I've ordered a Scamp from the factory, and I was able to add what I wanted an omit what I didn't. I was surprised that the cost was more reasonable that I expected. I ordered the new Scamp after finding several deals for older Scamps that were either a scam, a rebuilt piece of junk or just basically not worth it. I bought an older Aliner a few years ago and ended up gutting it and completely renovating it. I could've bought an amazing new camper for what I have in that Aliner. I'm looking forward to having my brand-new Scamp that is mine alone. I'll know what's going on with and not have to worry about what the last owner did or didn't do to it. I hope you find a good camper!
I don't think his price is that bad. But you'd better BUY the trailer before planning all of your changes. Someone may buy it out from under you. And camp with it a season before you plan all of those changes as well.
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #35

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Reality of costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Hilby View Post
I don't think his price is that bad. But you'd better BUY the trailer before planning all of your changes. Someone may buy it out from under you. And camp with it a season before you plan all of those changes as well.
I have a 1972 boler that has new everything. Furnace , paint, upholstery countertops and furnace. I did all the work myself and would not see the trailer for less than $8500 as is, it has a new axle but with the solid cherry cabinets new frame batteries etc. the weight has crept up to the point where I will be adding brakes. What I am leading up to is... a 40 year old trailer if professionally painted, NEW frame, and all systems properly installed is still a 40 year old trailer. I don't intend to ever sell it so the investment is on me. I would NEVER risk that amount of money on an unknown trailer. Too many things can go wrong. If the trailer has new paint professionally applied, custom cabinetry and many options possibly 7500 or even 8000 TOPS. I like the Scamp product it is a great little If you shop around you can find a gently used 10 to 15 year old trailer for $8000. In the mean time, do your homework. The trailer can be a nightmare or a joy based on what you buy. The four or five thousand you spend on a newer trailer will be the best money you ever spend. I know many folks travel with a couple of kids in a 13' trailer. Mine is an original trailer BUT 10 feet from the front glass to the back glass is TIGHT when traveling for several weeks. Buy as much trailer as you can afford. If I had to do it over I would have sold my trailer prior to renovation and spent the money on a 16 foot trailer. I love what I have but I am $ in too far to ever sell it.
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #36

Colorado
Going with New

Just paid my deposit! All the things we wanted and no extra junk we don't need. The price we were quoted was actually a couple thousand less than we were expecting so we added a furnace. We mostly camp in the mountains around CO so it'll be worth the extra 35#. Other than that, we kept it super light and basic. Counting down to 11/11/2019. I don't care how freezing MN is in Nov, I'm picking it up the day it comes off the line.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #37

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo in CO View Post
Just paid my deposit! .....I don't care how freezing MN is in Nov, I'm picking it up the day it comes off the line.
Bravo and Congratulations!!

Harold
Old 05-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #38

Name: Bob
Illinois
Jo,

Welcome to our Fiberglass Family. Are going to tell us what options you have ordered, we nosey and want to know.

We are very fond of our large bed, vinyl floor and backsplash.

We will be stopping by Scamp next week, we are having a heat strip install in the A/C.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #39

Arizona
Registry
Advice for buying a Scamp

You’ll appreciate the furnace. It’s one of the few options mine has. I bought used and didn’t think I’d want it. Then we took a shoulder season trip, and oh! the difference it made! Congratulations!

Tags
scamp