Bigfoot Quandry II - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-14-2003, 10:25 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bigfoot Quandry II

Hi, all.

We have contacted a dealer who has at a 2002 21' Bigfoot. It's pretty much fully loaded except for A/C and awning(!) The asking price is $18,000 us. We've roamed around the net trying to get a feel for where this stands to the market and haven't learned much. Nada says around $17k but a post on this board hints that Nada's prices tend to be low on fiberglass. Any insights on this would sure be appreciated.

Bill & Arlene Abbay

============================================

Update on our Bigfoot Adventure:

Well, we bought it. After some haggling, the final price as is, was $19,000, including tax and vehicle fees.

The "as is" factor turned out to be a rather unpleasant aspect of the whole thing. Seems the trailer, though technically used, really wasn't. It had been driven home, the buyer couldn't negotiate his driveway with it, he returned the trailer, and bought a motor home. Thus, it happened that the factory was willing to start the warranty from the second purchase. As it turned out, however, the dealer would not back the factory warrantee unless we were willing to pay a $361 "PDI" fee, essentially a fee to certify that everything was working, clean up the trailer, etc. We said we could clean it up, they said all or nothing. We said "Fine, nothing" and took it without the warranty. Probably dumb, but it is a Bigfoot, after all.

They wanted $840 for an awning, $749 for an A/C, and $350 for a pair of jack bars (front and back). We'll buy it and install it ourselves.

Irv Thompson tells of a very interesting dealer in Coos Bay, OR that would surely be nicer to deal with than these guys. Anyone want to know who and where "my" dealer is, send a PM and I'll reply.

Bill

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 10:31 PM   #2

Hi Bill
Welcome to this forum.
We are lucky and have a few members who are pretty well up to date on prices on Bigfoots .Just hang in here and sooner or latter one of them will jump in with answeres for you.:wave

Old 03-14-2003, 11:04 PM   #3

21ft Bigfoot

Look at the Trailers For Sale section for the posting by Bill J. He has a 2001 21ft Bigfoot for sale. The title just says "For Sale" so the ad gets lost without much description.

Old 03-15-2003, 12:48 AM   #4

Bigfoot quandry

My observation is that Bigfoot trailers seem to fetch a higher price than the listings by nadaguides.

I suggest you check http://www.canadatrader.com and go to the RV section. Some of the dealers here in British Columbia, where the units are built post there inventory on-line. A 2003 21 footer is in excess of $30, 000.00 CDN.

Rick B

Old 03-15-2003, 01:36 AM   #5

Gary J. is the person with a 21 foot Bigfoot for sale. There was some damage that has been fixed, but his price is definately right. You should give him a call. Look under Trailers For Sale Or Rent Section. :E :E

A 2002 17 foot Bigfoot sells for about the 18k mark or more. A 2002 21 foot would be closer to 25k or more. (Both examples in US dollars). Like Rick B. says check out www.canadatrader.com to see what the rv-lots ask for Bigfoots. Just do a search and find all BIGFOOTS. Don't search by RV type.

Nada is a joke when it comes to Bigfoots or any other fiberglass unit.

:wave

Old 03-15-2003, 07:23 AM   #6

>>asking price is $18,000

Hi Bill! Welcome to the group. $18,000 sounds like a steal for a 21 footer.

But, if I were you, I'd offer the dealer his asking price of $18,000 ... provided he install a FREE roof a/c.

Can't hurt to ask!

You can always have Camping World install an awning later.

Old 03-15-2003, 07:59 AM   #7

Hi, Bill, regarding the NADA price

Bill, here's a thought---

Show that dealer a print-out of the NADA price. Maybe he doesn't know how NADA treats fiberglass and will meet/beat the NADA price. Dealers usually live and die by NADA. But do it quick, because good deals don't last long in spring!

Of course check out that one listed here, too. (Gary J.) As I recall, it's in the Denver area, so may be farther than you want to go. Since it was rolled and ''repaired,'' it's one that I would recommend inspecting thoroughly before buying. Perhaps hire a professional to check it structurally as well. The photos of it do look great. I'd sure go for a Bigfoot if I wanted a larger TT (and a larger tow rig.)

And Bill, if you decide not to buy it, please post the details (in the ''for sale'' threads) including where it is located, so that one of our other good wanna-be's can have a chance at it.

Charles is correct on the a/c. You live in central California? You definitely want to add an a/c!

Old 03-15-2003, 06:55 PM   #8

21' Bigfoot Quandry

Thanks to all for your input!

George: Good idea on the Nada printout. Will definitely factor that into the conversation.

Charles: Not sure if I can get him to go with free A/C within the $18k but along with that Nada printout idea of George's, it might work. Always willing to compromise.

Rick B.: You Canadians sure have expensive money ;-) My growing understanding of the Bigfoot market jives with your comment. They seem to be worth more, and fetch more.

Benita: Was that 21 the one that was damaged? If so, Rick and Charles mentioned the same one. At any rate, I probably wouldn't be interested in a repaired one, though, by the pictures Gary did a bang-up job.

At any rate, back to it on Monday. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again for your help!

Bill

Old 03-18-2003, 08:06 PM   #9

Bigfoot

We just returned from Vancouver, Canada, where we looked at a Bigfoot 5th wheel. Pretty damaged, and was still fetching a high price. Their asking price was $16000 Canadian. For a 1987 trailer, that was really high.

We did a little visiting about buying a new one, and they explained that the US dealers are protected by the Bigfoot Manufacturing Co. and they could not sell us a new one.

We obtained a good price from a lady by the name of Heather, with Gibs RV in Coosbay, OR. For a 2003 25B25RQ which is the new 25 foot trailer with a real bed in it, they quoted us a price of $21130. We couldn't touch that anywhere else.

Anyhow, maybe they could give you a better deal on the 21'

Irv

Old 03-18-2003, 10:05 PM   #10

Irv,

From the limited experience I have on this, that is a really good buy. In California, that price would end up at about $22670 because of sales tax, but still very good.

Was that fully equipped with AC etc, etc?

Bill

Old 03-18-2003, 10:15 PM   #11

25' 2003 Bigfoot

It had the preferred option package, + thermal windows, stereo am fm cd, stabilizer jacks skylights awning rack and ladder microwave, cont. tire kit, chrome wheels, bedroom decor package electronic batter disconnect...........loaded

Old 03-18-2003, 10:17 PM   #12

25' Big foot

That should have been electronic battery disconnect. No air conditioner. Heather seemed willing to send all details...she did for us. You might want to contact her.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:44 PM   #13

Irv,
Very nice. As per my revised post, top, it's too late for us but maybe not for someone else. We maybe didn't get a "Coos Bay" deal, but from feedback we've gotten here, it wasn't too bad. Your quote, though, seems close to the "steal" catagory.

Would be interested what some of the more seasoned Bigfooters think...

Bill

Old 03-19-2003, 12:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Orginally posted by Irv Townsend

We just returned from Vancouver, Canada, where we looked at a Bigfoot 5th wheel. Pretty damaged, and was still fetching a high price. Their asking price was $16000 Canadian. For a 1987 trailer, that was really high.

We did a little visiting about buying a new one, and they explained that the US dealers are protected by the Bigfoot Manufacturing Co. and they could not sell us a new one.

We obtained a good price from a lady by the name of Heather, with Gibs RV in Coosbay, OR. For a 2003 25B25RQ which is the new 25 foot trailer with a real bed in it, they quoted us a price of $21130. We couldn't touch that anywhere else.

Anyhow, maybe they could give you a better deal on the 21'

Irv
A 2003 25 foot Bigoot at $21,130.00 US (32K CDN) is a real steal. Even bare naked. I'll even go on record that a 25 will probably leave the lot at about 26K US minimum. At a 21 US price up here, you would get a fully loaded 17,and just maybe a 21. If a 25 is what you want - go for it. Gibs RV is one of the more seasoned Bigfoot dealers south of the border.

Old 03-19-2003, 12:50 AM   #15

Bigfoot's Canadian sales policy

My understanding is that Bigfoot Industries does not permit Canadian dealers to sell new product to the US market. In the days of a poor Canadian dollar, many dealers were catering to the US market, indicating prices in both Canadian and US currency.

Until recently, Japanese car manufacturers were permitting Canadian car dealers to sell to the US market. In the case of Nissan, the identical vehicle was about $5000 cheaper in Canada, and had more standard equipment that the US market unit. Obviously this was detrimental to US dealers.

Rick B

Old 03-19-2003, 06:45 AM   #16

Congratulations on your new baby Bill!

A "brand new" used one ... only pulled off the dealers lot and then returned! Wow! What a find.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

At this point, don't look back!

Only look forward to all your camping trips in the future!

Old 03-19-2003, 09:59 PM   #17

Thanks for the kind words, Charles.

Well, the new is definitely being worn off, what with all the fondling it's received today.

Got hold of Gib's RV in Coos Bay that Irv mentioned a couple of days ago and they are very nice. Going to haul the Bigfoot up there (They're closer to us than the other guys were. Arrrgggghh) for an install of awning and A/C. Their prices were good enough that it makes no sense to tackle it myself.

BTW, do Egg owners wave when they pass on the road?

Would they wave to a Bigfoot?

If I waved first, would they know why? :-)

Old 03-20-2003, 07:24 AM   #18

>>wave

I always roll down the window and wave at any molded fiberglass trailer trailer, I see coming down the road.

>> it happened that the factory was willing to start the warranty from the second purchase. As it turned out, however, the dealer would not back the factory warrantee

You know, I've heard of a "waranty transfer fee" but I'm surprized that Bigfoot would go along with the dealer charging you a Pre-delivery inspection fee as part of the deal.

If I were you, I'd contact Bigfoot directly for some guidance.

As I'm sure you know, however, warranty on the awning, appliances, toilet and alot of the parts of the awning is covered by the respective manufacturers ... not the dealer, not Bigfoot.

And I think you are going to find out that some of those respective manufacturers will bend over backwards to help you ... others will probably say "only the original purchaser" is covered.

But, if I were you, I'd contact Bigfoot directly and explain the circumstances.

Old 03-20-2003, 10:41 AM   #19

Charles,

Your Waving Standard sounds do-able. Casitas, Scamps, Burros, and all the other ones resident here very recognizable from a distance. Bigfoots need keener eyes for long-range sensing so might require a wave-through-windshield. :-)

With the possible exception of something unlikely, like a wheel bearing disintegrating, I can't see any warranty issues arising. Everything works just fine and general construction is excellent. All the equipment is first rate, from my previous experience, and so shouldn't suffer any unusual problems.

I intent to write a letter to Bigfoot inquiring about their policy and whether it meshes with the dealer's in Sacramento.

Old 07-07-2003, 03:14 PM   #20

NEWBIE HERE

I HAVE JUST RECENTLY RETIRED, MOVED TO TEXAS AND NOW LOOKING TO PURCHASE A NEW TT. AFTER MUCH CONSIDERATION, I HAVE IT BOILED DOWN TO THREE BRANDS. #1. AIRSTREAM 25' SAFARI
#2. BIGFOOT 25'
#3. SUNLINE 26'

THESE THREE SEEM TO BE WITHIN MY 7000 LBS GVW TO PULL WITH TRUCK AND ALL THREE SEEM TO BE GREAT FOR FULL TIMING IT. I WANT QUALITY!! THESE SEEM TO BE THE ONES??
I HAVE AS YET GOTTEN INFO FROM MFG OR DEALER ON THIS MODEL, BUT HOPEFULLY WILL GET BETTER INSITE FROM PRIVATE PARTIES THAT KNOW BIGFOOT. ANY SUGGESTIONS AT THIS POINT WOULD BE GREAT APPRECIATED AS I NEED TO PICK UP THE NEW UNIT, WHICH EVER ONE IT MIGHT BE, THIS COMING OCTOBER 2003.
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

Tags
bigfoot