What hitch for 16' Casita or Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Many U-Haul franchises in small markets like ours do a lot of things besides renting moving equipment. The one I used had a large 3-bay service operation that installed a lot of hitches and wiring. They also sold and repaired fishing boats.

They did two installations for me. Both were quick, correct, and neat. I chose them based on a friend’s recommendation. That’s a good place to start in any location. Find some folks with trailers and ask where they get their work done.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #22

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Thanks for all the good advice. I actually got to speak with the guy who does the installs on the phone in advance and he explained the hitch height can be adjusted with a different ball. So when I get my actual camper, if I need a different height, the right ball will cost about $25. However, when he actually was working on my car he decided not to install the electric brake controller. He said it would involve drilling a hole in the dashboard and in the wall between the cabin and engine in order to install it. He didn't want to do that without discussing with me, and I wasn't available at the time. Have other people had to do this much to install an electric brake controller? Ideas about different brands, etc? He mentioned something in his voicemail about the possibility of plugging it into the lighter instead? But then I wouldn't be able to charge my phone or laptop while driving the trailer without disconnecting the trailer brakes? Could use some advice on this. Thanks
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #23

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
Just got a Highlander Hybrid as my tow vehicle. Need to get a hitch put on it so I can bring home my camper when I find it. Planning to buy a 16' Casita or Scamp hopefully 2010 or newer but may be as old as 2001. What do I need to know to get the right hitch at UHaul? And thanks for all your collective wisdom!
Toyota tow package uses a 4 pin connector. Be sure you get the seven pin connector!
M. Bober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #24

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Lisle. For sure I'm no expert but that sounds dubious to me. I've never heard that before.
I'd find a way to verify it independently before proceeding.

Walt
Old 04-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Lisle,

Plugging the controller into the cigarette lighter is ridiculous.

The controller will need a ground (-12 volts), a fuzed hot that turns on with the ignition (+12volts), and a controlled output wire that runs to the 7 pin plug. There will also be a reliable ground wire to the 7 pin from the TV.

Aftermarket controllers are typically screwed to the lower dash area in a place that does not interfere with your knees, is easy to reach for manual brake application and easy to see.

The wiring will most likely go through the firewall and then begin it's route to the rear of the TV. Often, there is a rubber plug that can have a hole punched into it, or the wires can follow other wires through some other grommeted hole.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #26

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
That's very helpful. I haven't talked with the guy yet to find out the details. He did install a 7 wire plug and the actual hitch and ball. So that part's good. If it's the brake controller equipment that has to be installed under the dash, that makes sense and I like the idea of running the wire with other wires. I'll call him and see if that's what he meant.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #27

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Lisle,

In addition to the correct height stinger for my Scamp, I carry a three ball stinger in my truck for "just in case". Available pretty much anywhere, they have three sizes of balls that will fit pretty much anything you would want to tow, and will get you home in a pinch.

Harbor Freight has them for $32, and a 20% off coupon knocks it down to about $26. https://www.harborfreight.com/triple...tch-64286.html

I have no connection with Harbor Freight.

Good luck in your search for a trailer!

Harold
Attached Thumbnails
3-ball.JPG  
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #28

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Highlander Hybrid Towing

We have a 2006 Scamp 16' that we towed with our '08 Highlander Hybrid and now our 2017. In both cases, I installed the hitch and needed to use a ball mount with a rise to achieve the correct ball height of ~21" for the Scamp 16'. That 21" is to the top of the ball which will be ~2½" above the mount. For the new car, I measured from the ground to the top of the receiver opening (15"), added 3" for the ball and bought a mount with a 3" rise to reach the required 21". Success.

7 pin installation including 12V supply, a brake controller, and back up lights became more complicated with the 2017 as the car's 12V battery is now in the rear and the back-up lights are in the lift gate. It took a while longer than putting on a hitch.

Lynn
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp