Replacing cushion/mattress for Casita Liberty - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #1

Name: Chip
Trailer: Shopping for 16-18'
California
Replacing cushion/mattress for Casita Liberty

We bought a 4 year old Casita 16' Liberty in 2015. We use it as a bed and bath on wheels, so we keep the king size bed made up all the time. Since the cushions already had depressions from the previous owners, we bought a medium grade 2" foam, overlay (cut to fit the rounded corners).
In the last 4 years, we've probably put 10-12 thousand miles on it, and the mattress overlay has depressions, and it is uncomfortable. My wife complains about rolling to the center. I was thinking about replacing it all with a 4" denser foam. My wife is afraid that it too will have depressions in short order.
Does anyone have other options to suggest? We want more durability with out sleeping on a hard slab.
chipperat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:49 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperat View Post
Does anyone have other options to suggest? We want more durability with out sleeping on a hard slab.
Welcome to FGRV Chip. Being you leave the bed made up all the time you may want to look into a custom mattress and eliminate the cushions all together. Don't remember off hand the name/s of makers that members bought from but they were very happy with them. They should chime in soon with info.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:36 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Southern Mattress is one I’ve heard mentioned often. A google search on “custom RV mattress” might turn up others.

With a bed that large you might consider having the mattress made in two sections. You could split it down the middle or side-to-side (one piece for the rear dinette and the other for the extension). The latter arrangement would make it easier to fold up part of the bed to use the “mini-dinette” on a rainy day.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:05 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you can get the measurements to fit, I continue to find an inflatable mattress to be the most comfortable by far.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Inflatable mattresses don’t get depressions! I had one for two years with a 2” topper, and I loved it. They’re so relatively cheap (at Walmart) that I carried a spare in case of a puncture or leak. The one thing you must remember is that it inflates as you increase altitude.

WendyW
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Maybe an air mattress works with a topper, and maybe in Florida, but they are damn cold when temps are low, because your body has to warm up all the air in the mattress, and it doesn't stay in one place.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #7

California
Thanks

Thanks to Borego Dave, Jon in AZ, Wendy W, and Glen Blago.

I did consider inflatables, but did not want to contend with the open spaces created when you put a square mattress in space with rounded corners. The reference to Southern Mattress is a great resource. I did find them on the internet and will contact them (they do advertise custom mattresses for Casitas:

High-quality bedding made in North Carolina since 1933 info@southernmattressnc.com
1812 Cokey Road
Rocky Mount, North Carolina 27802-0645
252.446.6511 phone
252.446.2509 fax
1.800.227.8701 toll free
Old 04-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
It may work for some but not all. What i did,, I used a IKEA roll up mattress, 6" thick, 39" x 72" single, fits nice, with about 5" of width not filled, right where the curve of the scamp walls are. My wife has the whole thing to her self. I sleep on the side bunk, just right for me' Dog sleeps wherever he wants. I am up early, way before her. Side dinette is only few minutes to set up. I have coffee made siting at side dinette, her water is already for her tea in the morning. We have breakfast talk about weather to just hang out or go someplace. The large dinette cushions are stored at home. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Casita SD17. Bought the custom mattress from Southern Mattress in North Carolina. We love it and feel it was worth the money. Can relate to the rolling downhill comment as that's what we get in our Uhaul that has two layers of foam that we cut to fit. Was going to ask Southern if they would make a mattress for our Uhaul but we may not keep that camper. I'm sure the Liberty would need a different size mattress than our SD so you'll have to ask them about that.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
For my 1985 Scamp rebuilt (made with twin beds) I cut down a Walmart 8" foam mattress to fit. In my case I made two twins from a queen size.
I cut it with an electric carving knife and that did an excellent job!
We find that it serves well for us and has gotten more comfortable with use.
We leave the beds made up all of the time and just sit on the covers while dining on the table that we built that folds up from the night stand in the middle.
As a source of thick foam don;t overlook cutting down a larger mattress from a discount big box store.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:15 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes, I've done the mattress in a box, cut with an electric knife. Bought my mattress at Costco.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Bought our 7" mattresses at IKEA, saved the covers they came with and stitched them on securely including handles to help move them, and cut them with a simple bread knife. Worked fine. Two almost-twin mattresses on metal rail futon bases for ventilation. Made upholstery-grade cotton duck from Walmart elasticized sheets for covers, just sleep on my back-of=the-trailer 34" bed and Paul rolls out a sleeping bag on his 28" front side daybed/bed.

Left space at the front of the rear bed for two side seats, covered the same, that we use with our folding table for eating. It hangs in the front niche/closet when not in use.

I used a black paint pen to draw a checkerboard/game board on the table top.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 A.jpg   folding table from Peanut, almond-lifetime-folding-tables-.jpg  

Old 05-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #13

California
Thanks for the reply

Tags
casita