casita, microwave or not - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2022, 06:30 AM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
LA
microwave or not

Our Liberty (used) came with a small one in the cabinet which allows us to have additional space for items.

The factory installed one is the big flange mount model that takes up the entire space, definitely a no vote for the factory install.

It's not used enough to justify a large one taking up valuable space.

It is held in place with these neat hold down straps.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Super...-p/14-9358.htm
daveandalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:47 AM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
We bought our Casita in late 2002 without a built-in microwave since we could buy one much cheaper and leave it behind when we wanted the space for other things. We've had a microwave in that spot for most of the last 20 years, but when the last one died we didn't replace it. We've found that we really like the extra food storage now, and don't miss the microwave much.

Main lesson there is that sometimes your needs and wants change. It's a lot easier to repurpose the space with less built-ins.

Bob Smucker
Bob Smucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:35 PM   #23

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Microwaves are $40 now. Buy one yourself. This way, if you do not want it, you can remove it.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:05 PM   #24

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
If you are a baker, get a microwave convection oven!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:50 PM   #25

Name: Michelle
Washington
We never even considered the microwave option for our 2011 Casita SD. Cupboard space is at a premium in our little fiberglass campers and so I use that 'microwave' cabinet as a roomy pantry.
IF on the few occasions I think I'll want to bake, I'll pack our Breville toaster oven in a separate box, that way I don't lose all that pantry space.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 04:23 AM   #26

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I have baked in my Nexgrill table top grill... I had put a thermometer in the top and noticed that temps could reach 400 degree when lid is closed so I got myself a pizza stone, and then made an apple pie and baked it. Two things went wrong, the termometer probe went into the the top of the pie and a lot of the heat came around the edge of the pizza stone so the edge crust burt a bit but it was delish and apples cooked just right.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:52 AM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you haven’t trailer camped, you will be surprised how many campsites do not have electric hookups. I camp a lot at National Parks. Few of the sites have hookups.

I also dry camp a lot. That’s one of the advantages of a camper, you don’t need hookups.

But dry campers will use propane: stove, fridge and heat. I use solar too. Taking a generator with you can be a PITA, and one big enough to run A/C will tend to be heavy.

Many other campers out there despise generators, so don’t be surprised if you get some hate whenever you fire one up.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #28

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
One of first things we did in our 2001 SD was take out the little microwave. Not enough storage as is and a seldom used microwave there was a better use of space.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #29

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
I bought this Sharp R1874T microwave to upgrade the original (1850-A) model in our RV. It took me around 15 mins to remove the old one; the 1874-T comes with a new backplate which is identical to the 1850-A one but I decided to renew it as the old one had 12 years' worth of work supporting the relatively-heavy microwave - that was only 8 minutes and 24 screws extra. Everything worked on the run-through so I'm happy it all seems fine. Its design is thoughtful, and its functionality is spot-on without depriving other RV appliances of much-needed power.
It is challenging to fault this microwave, except for its tricky installation. Its over-the-range design and 72-pound heft mean one must have at least two assistants to hold the appliance while another person secures it above the stovetop.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:18 AM   #30

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
We had a microwave in our 2010 Casita, which also had a Honda eu3000i mounted on the front, and now have a microwave in our 25B Big Foot which has an onboard Onan generator. Have always used the microwaves, several times a day, even when traveling and boondocking. Used the generators as needed. Would not even consider not having these units.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:16 PM   #31

Name: Michelle
Washington
72 pounds ...that' would mean a lot of added weight on the curb side of my Casita. It already has a lot of weight on that side, and I try to distribute the weight inside evenly.

I seldom use my microwave in my home kitchen for anything more than heating up a cup of coffee, baking a potato or defrosting something I'd neglected to take out of the freezer the night before. I don't miss having one in my SD, not at all.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:42 AM   #32

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I've went back and forth on this same question. Right now I have one in it that I put in and like it better than what Casita had at the time because mine was smaller. But I do like a toaster oven too so you can bake in it. Either was both are nice if you have electric.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #33

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I installed a Sharp convection microwave that would microwave, bake and toast, but my wife refuses to use it for anything but microwaving. She is concerned about getting it dirty inside and the heat.
But the thing I wanted to add is the mounting.
My space over the refrigerator is about 24" wide and what I did was cut a thin board under the front with holes cut for the feet to sit in to keep it from sliding.
To hold it in place I made a wooded "shelf" with a front and read rail and no bottom to act as a hold down. With the front feet in the locating holes (board fastened to the shelf) and the hold down it is very secure and can still be easily removed.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:37 AM   #34

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
72 pounds ...that' would mean a lot of added weight on the curb side of my Casita. It already has a lot of weight on that side, and I try to distribute the weight inside evenly.

I seldom use my microwave in my home kitchen for anything more than heating up a cup of coffee, baking a potato or defrosting something I'd neglected to take out of the freezer the night before. I don't miss having one in my SD, not at all.
We have a microwave in our Casita and it definitely does not weigh anywhere near 72 pounds. I would not be able to lift it. We have one from Walmart that is 1000 watt or more and I can lift it easily. We put it above the fridge where the built ones go in that cabinet. There is a plug in inside the cabinet. When the microwave dies as they all do we can just toss it out and buy another one for around $100. We can still store stuff around the microwave like boxes of cereal and crackers and remove them when we use the microwave. I can even put microwave dishes inside of it. I would never put one above the stove since the heat from the stove would damage it eventually.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #35

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We have a microwave in our Casita and it definitely does not weigh anywhere near 72 pounds. I would not be able to lift it. We have one from Walmart that is 1000 watt or more and I can lift it easily. We put it above the fridge where the built ones go in that cabinet. There is a plug in inside the cabinet. When the microwave dies as they all do we can just toss it out and buy another one for around $100. We can still store stuff around the microwave like boxes of cereal and crackers and remove them when we use the microwave. I can even put microwave dishes inside of it. I would never put one above the stove since the heat from the stove would damage it eventually.
That's how we use our microwave.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
Kinda looks like Natalie21 doesn't even own an all-molded trailer. Profile says
Trailer: ford
mexico
That could be the issue with why it works in her/his kind of build but wouldn't work in the all-molded world.

I certainly wouldn't want 72 lbs hanging off the bottom of my kitchen cabinets. That's a LOT of downward force every time I'd hit a bump or pothole.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #37

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
^^^I think it's a bot or something. Product shilling.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:21 PM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
^^^I think it's a bot or something. Product shilling.
With 111 posts?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:35 PM   #39

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
JMO from looking at the posts.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, microwave