Casita jack slippage fix? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 01:12 AM   #1

Name: Andrey
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Registry
Casita jack slippage fix?

Dear Forum,

I purchased Casita 2nd hand, and have been on a few trips so far.

One of the things I noticed, is that the jacks do not hold the weight very well, and tend to slip if weight is applied to them. The trailer/jacks are fairly new (2016), so it seems to be a design issue.

The jacks seem to slip often whenever you put a little extra weight on them (e.g. a 200lb+ man puts his weight on the step).

The jacks do have holes in them, and I used clips from the tow pins to prevent them from slipping, but wondered if anybody has used anything else or has other suggestions.
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:25 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Mine tend to slip a bit at times but it may just be their down on softer ground. Really hasn't been a problem as when I notice it, I just give them a little snugging up and all is good.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #3

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I presume you're talking about the stabilizers, at the corners in the rear. They aren't designed to be jacks, just stabilizers. They rely on a metal edge about 1" long biting into the body of the jack. Hence, lubricating them will cause them to slip. They work best with a rusty, rough edge. Ours occasionally slip. This hasn't bothered us enough to replace them with scissor jacks, as others have (and which are now standard on new Casitas).
When I set up, I raise the tail of the trailer up a bit, set the stabilizers, then lower the tail into the final, level position. Learned this trick on the Casita forum, I believe...
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Got rid of them Atwood stabilizers outright. Cheap junk. I now have four 7,500 Lb. capacity scissor jacks, and they work so much better. Bought the weld-on mounting pads for the jacks, 2 sets of them,(2 to a set,) from Little House Customs, and welded them on, and bolted the jacks to them. Solid as a rock, and I can actually raise the trailer off the ground to change a tire if I need to, which is something you can't do with those crummy little stabilizers. I bring a cordless electric drill and a 3/4" socket and can run all four of them up or down in less than a minute.

https://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html#gen
Attached Thumbnails
frontjackstep.JPG   rearjack.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

Name: Andrey
West Virginia
Registry
Thanks. I did mean stabilizers. I understand they can't be used as jacks.
They're not greased. I agree they're not the greatest, but my method so far has worked "OK", was just hoping somebody had a better one.

I am not yet ready to replace them. It hasn't bothered me that much. I will keep the weld plates in mind.

I'll report back what I come up with after the next trip, if I get no other input.
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongelander View Post
I presume you're talking about the stabilizers, at the corners in the rear. They aren't designed to be jacks, just stabilizers. They rely on a metal edge about 1" long biting into the body of the jack. Hence, lubricating them will cause them to slip. They work best with a rusty, rough edge. Ours occasionally slip. This hasn't bothered us enough to replace them with scissor jacks, as others have (and which are now standard on new Casitas).
When I set up, I raise the tail of the trailer up a bit, set the stabilizers, then lower the tail into the final, level position. Learned this trick on the Casita forum, I believe...
We do the same and have never had any slippage of the stabilizers. We just make sure they are locked into position before we lower the tail. We level the trailer, lift the tail a little and make sure the stabilizer locks then lower the tail until the stabilizers are tight on the ground. There should be a little rod to put into the stabilizer to lift them also but that is a pain to use.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita