Lincoln Highway history - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #21

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Jefferson Davis hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Link to the Wikipedia article on the Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway which goes through North Carolina:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Davis_Highway
Thanks for the link.
It always amazes me how much I learn about an area AFTER I get home. I would have been on part of the old highway last fall.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #22

Trailer: Looking for something
Pennsylvania
I lived in Gettysburg, PA for a while, just a few blocks off of the Lincoln Highway. I enjoy visiting parts of the highway in the various states we travel through with our Scamp.
Ken Longfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I drove past Haskell Park in Cedar Rapids today. It’s named for a “good roads” pioneer who lobbied for the Original Lincoln Highway to go through Cedar Rapids, which it did. A few years ago the Lincoln Highway Association had their national meeting in Cedar Rapids. On their “show me” bus tour they included a stop at this shady little park. I had my crew build a new routed sign for the event. Across the top we had a board routed with “Welcome Lincoln Highway Association” which we left in place for the year.
And under the “Haskell Park” line I had them route
“On the Lincoln Highway”. The sign still looks great
and has provided many a Kodak Moment for pioneer surfaced Highway aficionados. There’s also an information kiosk built by an Eagle Scout at this park as well as the granite boulder with Bronze plaque. It’s on the NW side of town on Johnson Avenue. My high point association with this park happened the day I stopped by for a routine inspection and found a like new, 3/8 drive Snap On , swivel head ratchet in the gutter. A fond memory for a hoarder.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I was wondering what happened to my snap on 3/8 drive ratchet. Last time I had it was passing through Iowa visiting my old alma mater. I even put my initials on it usa. Thanks Dave for finding it.......
Old 12-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #25

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I even put my initials on it usa. Thanks Dave for finding it.......
Why yes, my name is Craftsman!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #26

Pennsylvania
Registry
Hey bro.......
Old 12-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #27

Iowa
If it would have been a craftsman I would have still picked it up and you could have recovered it off a free tarp. I am an S-K, MAC, Snap On and Armstrong guy. If I had your money Jim, I’d buy Wright tools and burn my money. I also have some Barcalo wrenches that are hard to beat. Changed oil and filter on the New Holland tractor yesterday, the garage floor was cold at 15F but I had a big piece of double cardboard to lay on so wasn’t bad at all. Drove to Fort Wayne today, Chicago at 65 MPH all the way, never touched the brakes. 10 highway patrol trapping in Illinois, 8 in Indiana on US 30 from Valparaiso to Columbia City.
400 miles 7 hours on the road. They picked most
Of the rest of the corn in Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana in the past week. Hey remember the old Three I baseball league? I saw Rocky Colavito play before he went to Cleveland. Best baseball name ever.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #28

Pennsylvania
Registry
Interestingly coming home from camping at one of our favorites- Burnt Cabins in central Pennsylvania, located right off US 30 just east of McConnellsburg, heading home on US30 we go through a township named St Thomas there is a placard along the road, Home of Hall of Famer-Nellie Fox- remember him on the White Sox. BTW Colavito lives in Reading, Pa which is not too far off US30.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #29

Iowa
We had a recreation programmer who worked for the City for about 40 years. He was originally from Chicago and came to Cedar Rapids to play for the Three I affiliate. I worked with Al Smith for quite a few
Years and hired his son a couple seasons for summer help. His roommate was Rocky Colavito and this would have been around 1955. So Colavito must be pretty old now. I liked Nellie Fox. And Luis Apparehcio
When I was I Sox fan as a kid.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #30

Iowa
Hey Jim
Had to look up a couple facts, Colavito played in Cedar Rapids in 1952 so I was off by three years and he is 86 years young now. Remember Frank Howard, I saw him play too. Hit one out of the park that was estimated at 500 feet. Biggest guy I ever saw as a youth who was crazy about baseball.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-10-2023, 06:44 AM   #31

Wisconsin
Registry
Old Thirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyGetsIt View Post
Lincoln Highway goes straight thru York,Pa, still some painted barns outside town with the Mail Pouch insignia....
Thanks for bumping this back up, My you tube top banner is a jpg from the Lincoln highway and I just had these words running through my mind as I was mowing lawn last night.

She was mud and sand and concrete
Mixed with water made a' tears
From the rivers runnin' down the Great Divide
She was three thousand miles
Of rockin', rollin' highway
A million mem'ries long and two lanes wide

From the song "Old 30" by C W McCall
Old 09-10-2023, 08:59 AM   #32

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
A lot about "the good old days", wasn't all that good, but I think we make a terrible mistake not learning from them.

Some of our history just slips away. It's a shame when we purposely erase it.
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:58 PM   #33

Iowa
Bump up Preston’s Corner Lincoln highway. on the internet GeargenPreston was my uncle. His wife Blanche and my Mom sisters. Mary Helen is working hard on grants and plans for restoration of this Landmark Service Station.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-10-2023, 01:28 PM   #34

Wisconsin
Registry
It's important to learn something new EVERY day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Bump up Preston’s Corner Lincoln highway. on the internet GeargenPreston was my uncle. His wife Blanche and my Mom sisters. Mary Helen is working hard on grants and plans for restoration of this Landmark Service Station.
Iowa Dave
https://prestonsstation.com/the-legacy

Tags
scamp