Brakes for U-Haul? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2005, 07:18 AM   #21

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Quit cryin, Freddy.. I put my SECOND set on mine at 60k. Of course, towing was a contributor for sure, but my literal down hill commute doesn't help any.
Gina, if you BACKED down the mountain to work every other day, your brake pad wear would be much more even, front to back.

Ok... going to my room now...
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #22

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Frederick,
Although I can't see why improper trailer brake adjustment would kill your front brakes, unless it was over a long peroid of time.
Pete, when you stop a car, the weight shifts to the front axle for braking, and the front brake pads/shoes take the brunt of the wear. That's why you usually go through two sets of front pads for ever set of rear pads or shoes. When you are trying to stop the car AND a 2500lbs trailer, that additional weight is transferred to the front brakes as well if the trailer isn't braking for itself. The amount of time that the pads are in contact with the rotors and the pressure used on the brake pads to the rotors both increase on each stop you make. If those stops are from freeway speeds, or on long down-hills as you'd find in the mountains, each stop significantly puts more stress and wear on those pads. Frederick took at least one long cross-country trip with the Fiberstream in tow. It is possible under those circumstances to put some serious wear on a set of front brake pads.

WITH trailer brakes, the trailer weight is stopped by it's own brakes and if the controller is set properly, the trailer brakes will actually begin to stop the tow vehicle before the tow vehicle's brakes are applied to any great extent which limits the weight shift to the front of the tow vehicle. I suppose that it's possible that towing a trailer with properly set up brakes could actually extend the life of your tow vehicle's front brakes by wearing your trailer brakes first!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #23

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
There is nothing made that will bolt up to the UHALL axel, Tom has a 13' CT, he had to make his
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:02 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
WITH trailer brakes, the trailer weight is stopped by it's own brakes and if the controller is set properly, the trailer brakes will actually begin to stop the tow vehicle before the tow vehicle's brakes are applied to any great extent which limits the weight shift to the front of the tow vehicle. I suppose that it's possible that towing a trailer with properly set up brakes could actually extend the life of your tow vehicle's front brakes by wearing your trailer brakes first!
I find if I get a bit too heavy on the trailer brake gain, the trailer tires skid on hard stops. my tow vehicles just have much bigger wheels with better traction. I've also run into having the otherwise-perfectly-adjusted trailer brakes skid on dirt/gravel, even at low speed on mild stops, and had to back them off more than normal.

now, my current tug is a beast (6600 lbs curb, 8800 lbs GVWR), and is much heavier than my trailer (4000 lbs curb, 4500 lbs GWR), so I'm not worried if the trailer gently pushes the truck when braking hard.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:10 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
There is nothing made that will bolt up to the UHALL axel, Tom has a 13' CT, he had to make his

I think you could bolt the VT backing plate and drums on the CT as they use the same bolts as the hub which is the same for both. The issue is fitting the surge mechanism on the tongue. You would need a beefed up tongue and have to adjust the surge to compensate for lighter weight.
Mike Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #26

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
You guys do know this thread is from 2005?

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19
Indiana
Brakes for U-Haul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
You guys do know this thread is from 2005?

People still search for this info so if additional pertinent info is added what’s the problem?
Mike Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:03 PM   #28

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Some states require brakes on trailers weighing 1500 lb
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, u-haul