Hi I'm Steven & this is my 79 Boler/Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #21

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
here's the link for scamp serial numbers:
Scamp VIN decoding
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dont want to start a war but I'm glad they changed it! Mine has the ratfur. (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
mine has elephant skin ('77 Scamp)
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Love the one you're with!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #24

Name: Steven
Trailer: Boler/Scamp
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Good catch by Jon, that missing support will cause sag over time even if the upper cabinets don't fall down.

Butyl tape behind the hinges of the main door. Unless I'm mistaken about seeing a leak right next to the door on the hinge side.
Yes, I noticed that alot of other peoples trailers had those support bars. I will install some when I put it all back together in a few weeks.

I've order new hinges so when I install them I will be sure to put some tape behind them! Thanks for the catch!
LittleBoler84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #25

THAT'S ME! (on this subject anyway )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Love the one you're with!
Old 07-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #26

Oklahoma
Any suggestions for replacing the ensolite (elephant skin)? I'm up for suggestions that will last long and help with insulation, and that come in white, or can be painted
Old 07-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #27

I personally dont like the painted interiors...but ummm, "rat fur" (ala Marine Upholstery) comes to mind here. Seriously, over on our Scampers Yahoo group, a guy just dug this info out and found an actual source (other than Scamp) for this material.

http://www.ozite.com/dfiles/HullLiner.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoler84 View Post
Any suggestions for replacing the ensolite (elephant skin)? I'm up for suggestions that will last long and help with insulation, and that come in white, or can be painted
Old 07-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #28

Oklahoma
Carpet sound great, but i have a 1 and 6 year old and not sure keeping it clean would be very easy...
Old 07-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #29

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Looks like it might be sitting a little low..
How is the axle? Is there enough clearance? Is there "spring" left in the suspension?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Hi I'm Steven & this is my 79 Boler/Scamp

Why do you want to replace the Ensolite? We're talking a lot of work and expense, and the alternative, if you want insulation with a paintable, washable surface is… Ensolite (or a similar closed cell foam product).

I presume you are not happy with the current paint job… The real question in my mind is how you would go about removing a bad paint job from Ensolite, or at least prepping it correctly for a repaint. I'm not sure, but I'll bet there's someone out there who does.

BTW- the "rat fur" is really a kind of marine hull liner. It is water and mildew resistant, very sturdy, and cleans up pretty easily. I would have no qualms about using it around young children.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #31

Name: Rae
Trailer: Boler
Ohio
My 74 Boler has elephant skin and a twisty metal post on left side of counter, right next to the sink. Looks like you're doing a thorough resto, Steven!
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoler84 View Post
Does anyone know of a link to someone who has fiberglassed a new floor to the body of a Boler/Scamp? Maybe a "How to" or something? I would really like to go off someone else's expertise on this when I go to do it. I've never used fiberglass in my life... there's a first time for everything though! Just want to maker sure I do it right the FIRST TIME! otherwise this thread is going to get pretty sad... pretty quick lol
Check out my post http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ods-68675.html I replace all the floors with photos & detailed description...I haven't updated it in a few weeks because I have been busy working on painting the body & also installing the a/c under the lower bunk but I will try to get it updated this weekend...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #33

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I personally dont like the painted interiors...but ummm, "rat fur" (ala Marine Upholstery) comes to mind here. Seriously, over on our Scampers Yahoo group, a guy just dug this info out and found an actual source (other than Scamp) for this material.

http://www.ozite.com/dfiles/HullLiner.pdf
A little background here as I understand it. I'm not as familiar with Scamps, but the ratfur in Casitas is carpeting on top of about 3/4 inch foam insulation.
Parkliners used the headliner in the link (or equivalent) over a very efficient aluminized insulation that comes in rolls.
I think using the headliner directly on the inside of the shell with no insulation would prove very difficult to provide any temperature control.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #34

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Looks like it might be sitting a little low..
How is the axle? Is there enough clearance? Is there "spring" left in the suspension?
Yes it is, I'm in process of getting a new axle, just got to get the shell of first to take it to the trailer shop.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:06 AM   #35

Oklahoma
Quote:
Why do you want to replace the Ensolite? We're talking a lot of work and expense, and the alternative, if you want insulation with a paintable, washable surface is… Ensolite (or a similar closed cell foam product).

I presume you are not happy with the current paint job… The real question in my mind is how you would go about removing a bad paint job from Ensolite, or at least prepping it correctly for a repaint. I'm not sure, but I'll bet there's someone out there who does.

BTW- the "rat fur" is really a kind of marine hull liner. It is water and mildew resistant, very sturdy, and cleans up pretty easily. I would have no qualms about using it around young children.

With leaks and such, I wasn't sure how much longer the current insolation would last, or if it might have something growing underneath...

The PO's painted it that green color and yes I'm too fond of it, also makes it feel small in there because its a darker color. (and lets face it... you don't want a 13' camper to feel any smaller than it already is! lol)

I'm not against using new Ensolite and painting over it, but I haven't looked into the cost.

This is a project that I hope to only do once and I want to make sure that I'm please with the results, so I want to explore every reasonable option as I work through the process. Don't want to be saying "Man, wish I would have done that before I put ______ in there..." I'm sure everyone around here has one of those stories! lol
Old 07-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #36

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
A little background here as I understand it. I'm not as familiar with Scamps, but the ratfur in Casitas is carpeting on top of about 3/4 inch foam insulation.
Parkliners used the headliner in the link (or equivalent) over a very efficient aluminized insulation that comes in rolls.
I think using the headliner directly on the inside of the shell with no insulation would prove very difficult to provide any temperature control.

Walt
I agree Walt, probably need some kind of rubber or foil (or both) backing being the marine carpet
Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #37

Arizona
Registry
Regarding the shell lining... I agree- it's something you want to get right the first time.

Any way you might get to a FG egg rally in the near future? Getting a first-hand look and feel of the three main options- foil bubble-backed hull liner ("rat fur"), vinyl-covered closed cell foam ("elephant hide"), and foam-backed carpet- might help you make your decision. And you may well run into a custom interior that's better for you than any of them.

FYI- Scamps (since the 80's) use the first option, vintage Scamps, Bolers, Trilliums, etc. and current Escapes use the second, and Casitas use the third. In terms of numbers on the road, it's probably close to a 3-way tie.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #38

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Check out my post http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ods-68675.html I replace all the floors with photos & detailed description...I haven't updated it in a few weeks because I have been busy working on painting the body & also installing the a/c under the lower bunk but I will try to get it updated this weekend...
OH BOY.... Well... Wish I would have read your post about your flooring project before I did mine... Oh well, whats done is done. I may have a harder time lining up my new floor to the side is some spots because I didn't "Neatly" cut it out like you did. It was so rotted around the back that I just fell apart and didn't leave much fiberglass underneath.

So I've been pondering Installing some sort of lip (maybe something out of aluminum) all the way around the body on the interior that would then rest on top of the wood floor and allow you to screw through it to mate the body and the floor together without the use of fiber glass. I would either rivet it to the body like there other pieces were or use sheetmetal screws. I know it would create a line of screws all the way around it but I've been things of using Truck bed liner for the bottom half anyway and it would likely cover them up and not be very noticeable.
It would be something kind of like what some scamps have where the bulk bed wood slides into it for support. I think there called Channel mounts... @BerregoDave used one to make a toddler bulk bed
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-55214.html
Old 07-31-2015, 09:15 AM   #39

Oklahoma
Quote:
Regarding the shell lining... I agree- it's something you want to get right the first time.

Any way you might get to a FG egg rally in the near future? Getting a first-hand look and feel of the three main options- foil bubble-backed hull liner ("rat fur"), vinyl-covered closed cell foam ("elephant hide"), and foam-backed carpet- might help you make your decision. And you may well run into a custom interior that's better for you than any of them.

FYI- Scamps (since the 80's) use the first option, vintage Scamps, Bolers, Trilliums, etc. and current Escapes use the second, and Casitas use the third. In terms of numbers on the road, it's probably close to a 3-way tie.
Thats great info Jon! Thank you! I would love to go to a rally sometime, I don't think Oklahoma has one, might have to start one here! 😊 There are LOTS of great camping places around here. Its early to decide but I might do the Elephant hide route again... something maybe a little big thicker though for those hot summer months around here! lol
Old 07-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #40

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I have been there and done that. I could tell you some of =what I did and how if you want, but I could not type it out! PM me your # if you like And I will give you some Free Advice.....worth just what you pay for it!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3954.jpg   DSCF3905.jpg  

DSCF3915.jpg   DSCF3921.jpg  

Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, scamp