Fixing Jensen Escape hatch cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
Fixing Jensen Escape hatch cover

We had some 65 mph wind gusts the other night and the wind got up under my escape hatch lid and damaged it on my 87 16'Scamp. I ordered the part from Scamp and will replace it when it gets here, but my question is will the roof be able to hold my 200 lbs while I drill out the rivets and replace it. I'll be standing on a ladder, but will have to partially lay on the roof to reach it. Anybody have experience doing such a thing? I asked the parts guy at Scamp and he "thought so", but didn't seem to sure.
Thanks
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
No way I would put 200 lbs of body weight on a Scamp roof. No way - no how.

I do routinely lean a ladder on the side and lean over a little to reach things on the roof, but with very little of my weight on the shell of the camper.

Can you put a step stool inside and stand on it to reach up (i.e. "escape") through the vent and do most of the work, then maybe reach the rest from the sides? If not, I would consider renting scaffolding.

Other ways have been used and posted before such as a temporary extension to an existing building, with the trailer parked next to it so the extension can be a work platform.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
How about shoreing up the inside with plywood along the roof and 2x4's to hold the weight? You would essentially be transferring your weight to the ply and lumber.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

Name: Lynnie
Trailer: Shopping
New York
Good luck with the trailer

A well constructed carport that is available or some other level structure , a garage or overhang of a roof perhaps could hold you while you do your repair.
Hope the stability of the rig during high winds never becomes an issue for you or anyone rv’ing.☮️
Lynnie B-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
We had some 65 mph wind gusts the other night and the wind got up under my escape hatch lid and damaged it on my 87 16'Scamp. I ordered the part from Scamp and will replace it when it gets here, but my question is will the roof be able to hold my 200 lbs while I drill out the rivets and replace it. I'll be standing on a ladder, but will have to partially lay on the roof to reach it. Anybody have experience doing such a thing? I asked the parts guy at Scamp and he "thought so", but didn't seem to sure.
Thanks
Resting your upper body weight on the roof will likely be OK. You will quickly know if there is too much weight from your body if you feel it flexing downwards a lot as you being to rest your weight on the roof. If that happens look at some options for putting a scaffold up.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape