What trailer to buy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
I really like the Lil Snoozy and the man in charge. His video on youtube is great. The trailer seems like very good construction. I even like the aerodynamics but unfortunately my wife does not like that look. She loves Vintage and is attracted to that retro style. The Ollie gives her both worlds. But now I need to be convinced. It is not all about what she wants.
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #22

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertus65 View Post
Hi Micheal, welcome. We started with Tab, fun tt but limited in its use. Then we went to a Scamp great little trailer but wife hated having to climb over me to hit the head. Towed great but a bit too small. Now have the Oliver II tows great and we have full timed in it for s year and a half from SoCal to Canada in a Tacoma. Comfy and definetly the best of the FG's
Now you are making it tougher on me. I keep telling her that she will want the Ollie II and she insists she will not. She wants the Ollie Elite period. I think she will want the bigger one too, but I don't feel comfortable pulling all that with my Tacoma. Good to know you can, but the tow weight would be borderline for me and some of those mountains can get nasty.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #23

Florida
Twin or double bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalywag View Post
Hi Roguebooks,
My wife and I are anxiously awaiting our new Oliver Elite. We too wanted to keep our weight within the towing margin of our 2017 Taco TRD Off Road's (6400 lbs) capacity. Also, I was essentially sold on a Camp Inn Teardrop, like you folks, quality is a prime consideration for us. For several reasons, We needed a standup bath. We investigated Airstream TTs. But AS customers seemed to have many issues with wood and structural components among other things. Some enjoy working on their rigs and it is part of the AS way. We have toured the Hohenwald plant twice now and every time we have impressed with their production process and the care with which they construct and assemble these travel trailers. We want to be able to camp during all 4 seasons with out leaks etc interfering with our quality time. A well made FG TT will hopefully provide this.
Our delivery date is the end of June, so stay tuned.
Good luck on your search,
Terry
Did you get the twin setup or stay with the double bed? My wife says we will be getting the double bed (but she really likes the twins in the Elite II with the space between and end table) so we can have that adorable dinette. Any issues with the bathroom?
Old 05-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
Hi. First post. New member. My wife and I decided to hit the road and see the continent. We are both sixty-three and have an English Golden Retriever named Bob. A couple days ago we traded in our Jeep Renegade for a Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 (haul rate at around 6,600 lbs). Looking to find a trailer less than 20' total length and no more than 3,500 lbs. unloaded. We began our search years ago beginning with the Camp-In teardrop but never could get used to the idea of crawling in and out and having no dining area. We evolved into thinking we needed a permanent bed with a small dinette. I saw a few Scamps on the road and thought the 16' would be perfect and it had the layout we needed. But then my wife discovered the Eggcamper, but it appears poor health has forced the production of new trailers to a standstill. But then I found the Oliver Elite. And once my wife saw it she said she would have nothing else. Difficult to get anybody to return my emails at Oliver or to find out how to get one on order. We do plan on visiting their plant in about a month on the way up to our cabin in northern Michigan from our home in Melbourne, Florida. But since we bought the new truck I kept my search going for a trailer to fit our needs and discovered the new T@B 400. That trailer seems to make more sense to me but I have yet to sell my wife on the idea. I want to drive across the state to see one but it appears the 400's are sold out and all that remains are 320's (which users love) but I think they just won't fit our needs due to the lack of a permanent bed. We both feel we need the extra two-person dinette. Obviously we need help in choosing the right trailer for us and learning how to get one. We are not in a rush but I plan on having something no later than February of 2018.
Michael
Welcome to the forums.
I pull a 2017 Casita 17' SD (3000lbs) with my 6 speed 2014 Taco and find it (IMHO) marginally adequate at best. Flat roads in Texas it pulled the Casita at 70-75 mph with the cruise on and avg around 13-14 mpg. When I get to rolling hills it is down into 5th gear and 62-65 mph as not to work the motor to hard but mpg went up to 15+. In the steeper hills of NC I am down to 3rd gear and doing only about 45 mph on the long grades and 50-55 on the rest. I would not pull anything bigger with a Taco as it works hard on any rolling terrain. Brakes were great and stops on a dime if you plan ahead, but I did experience some fad on the long descents and that was not riding the brakes at all. I am looking at upgrading to a V8 in the near future.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #25

Florida
My baby brother (who just retired and has been trailering for many years) advised me to get a diesel 4x4 from the get-go, but I opted for the V6 4x4. My wife and I are both committed to not getting the forewarned disease of wanting to get bigger (in either truck or trailer). And appreciate your honesty about the Taco towing limitation as I doubted it could safely and comfortably handle anything heavier than 4500 lbs loaded. So the matters concerning me now are getting the best trailer I can in the size I am comfortable with. And something that makes my wife want to travel with me.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #26

Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Full Disclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
My baby brother (who just retired and has been trailering for many years) advised me to get a diesel 4x4 from the get-go, but I opted for the V6 4x4. My wife and I are both committed to not getting the forewarned disease of wanting to get bigger (in either truck or trailer). And appreciate your honesty about the Taco towing limitation as I doubted it could safely and comfortably handle anything heavier than 4500 lbs loaded. So the matters concerning me now are getting the best trailer I can in the size I am comfortable with. And something that makes my wife want to travel with me.
Michael
I like to keep up with traffic with limitations, as pulling a trailer I am more cautious and leave more room for surprises. I know some will blast me for driving too fast, but I don't like poking along and being passed by everyone on the road. In heavy traffic, I do slow way down and move over in the truck lane and wait it out. The Taco will pull it and stop okay, but I like the V8 pulling power. I have added dual exhaust and a foam air cleaner which helps a lot but the V6 lacks torque for long pulls up any grade.
I don't use sway bars or a LDH as I really didn't see a need. I added Sumo bags to the rear suspension and as heavy as the truck is, the trailer doesn't sway a bit. The hitch only drops an inch with 400lbs tongue weight. I also changed the may pop trailer tires with 235 Michelin LT tires with a load capacity of 4500lbs which means a lower air pressure at 2600 lbs of axel weight, you can't do that with trailer (ST) tires.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #27

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
The easiest way to check out trailers from lots of different manufacturers is to attend a fiberglass rv rally. Several are held each year all over the country, and this forum is a good place to find out what's happening.

We love our Escape. You didn't mention it in your original post, but for us it fits somewhere between Casitas/Scamps and an Oliver in terms of price. But, we love that it's lightweight but roomy, has a permanent queen bed, a quality build, and a ton of options and customizations available. Try to see as many makes as you can before deciding - and happy hunting!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:53 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It really is normal to expect that steep hills and long grades will slow most trailer-towing vehicles down. Higher elevations will do it, too, since the air is thinner and the engine needs to mix oxygen with the fuel. The big exception is a turbocharged engine, especially the big turbo-diesels; they will not even notice a Casita or Ollie in tow. It really comes down to expectations. Most people who tow travel trailers expect that they'll have to drive slower than they would without a trailer; those who can't abide the slower pace had better have the bucks to buy the big torque.

OP, did you see the pre-loved Eggcamper for sale (in W.Va.) that's listed on this forum? No waiting for the factory build, you could be camping next week.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:49 PM   #29

Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
We opted for the 16 foot deluxe scamp because it had a 54 inch bed for floor plan B with a side dinette and front bathroom shower combination. This way the bed is always made up and the dinette is always available. We were also looking at a 16 foot Casita but the Casita did not have a screen door and the refrigerator was much smaller. The refrigerator in the 16 foot scamp is a two Way 4.6 ft.³ refrigerator. If you are worried about tire size, scamp just started having class D 13" tires for the 16 foot scamp.
Ray R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 AM   #30

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I was very interested in an Oliver Elite, but discovered that I could not stand up straight at 6'2". When I finally got to go inside one, I was immediately disappointed. The Elite 2 fixed that, and with it came a nice pantry and just enough more room to be very livable. Plus, I'm a big fan of tandem axles, but did not want a large trailer. Olivers are very well insulated and have all the systems for comfortable boondocking. They have a lot of interesting features and high quality hardware.

I can understand doing careful research and having a list of requirements, but it might be a problem to buy the tow vehicle first and then decide on the trailer with the requirement that it fits comfortably in the tow rating, while still providing all the features you want. Not promoting two footitis, but the trailer must be fun and meet your needs, or you won't want to use it as much as you predict.

Coming from a stickie toy hauler, and already liking Olivers, my decision turned out to be very easy: I saw an Elite 2 for sale, looked at it, and bought it. Done.

My wife and I could not be happier with the decision. This trailer is a lot of fun, versatile, comfortable and surprisingly easy to tow.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:37 AM   #31

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
Visit Lil Snoozy in St. Mathews, SC and Parkin error in Liberty, NC.
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #32

Florida
We are a little different in the sense that we really do not like large homes, trailers, or vehicles. So the Tacoma will have to do. If we can't find a trailer within our parameters then we'll stick to airb&bs and motels. We have downsized to a 1000 sf home in Florida and a 600 sf cabin in northern Michigan. Plan on selling our cabin this summer or asap after. Whether we sell or not will most likely not effect our trailer plans one way or another. That is, if we find the right one.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:06 AM   #33

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
Visit Lil Snoozy in St. Mathews, SC and Parkin error in Liberty, NC.
My wife does not like the looks or interiors of either one of these. So far it is only the Oliver Elite she is interested in. But thanks. I will keep searching.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What trailer to buy?

I will also suggest taking a look at Parkliner. Their new model has a sleek, all-molded interior and retro-styled shape that might appease your wife. It's only 15-16' long, so it should be an easy tow with your Taco, but it manages to pack in a queen-sized bed, separate dinette, wet bath, and 6'5" of interior headroom.

Last time I looked, most of the pictures on their website were still of the old model, so you might have to get in touch with them regarding the new.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #35

Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Two cents

Our 1999 16 ft Scamp floor looks the same as the floors in new trailers. I know it looks a little scary underneath but it seems to hold up well. We also have a clam screen tent that sets up in one minute, that is our extra space. Good luck in your search!
John
Old 06-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #36

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
New oliver's cost in the mid to high 40's. My new 2014 scamp was 16,500. That price point may have an effect on your choices. We camp for a few days at a time through the week and maybe a couple weeks at one time once a year. So the less costly route works for us. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #37

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
What about Bob? Is Bob allowed to sleep on people beds? My Lab was not and could not due to arthritis after I got a Casita Spirit Deluxe. He and I played the Move/lookout game in the trailer as he liked to lay in the doorway blocking part of the refrigerator. I lost him last September and will say that camping is easier with a smaller dog who took over that space, but does not block the fridge. The Casita was easy for my Lab to get in and out of but towards the end he was using a ramp most of the time.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #38

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
It sounds to me like an Escape 19 would work for you guys. Permanent queen size bed, 4 person dinette, kitchen and wet bath.
I was gonna say that!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #39

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I will also suggest taking a look at Parkliner. Their new model has a sleek, all-molded interior and retro-styled shape that might appease your wife. It's only 15-16' long, so it should be an easy tow with your Taco, but it manages to pack in a queen-sized bed, separate dinette, wet bath, and 6'5" of interior headroom.

Last time I looked, most of the pictures on their website were still of the old model, so you might have to get in touch with them regarding the new.
The interior I saw she does not like. Now that she has seen the mirrored or smoke-colored glass doors on the Oliver she knows she doesn't want wood. Are you saying the wood doors are gone now on the new model?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #40

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
Our 1999 16 ft Scamp floor looks the same as the floors in new trailers. I know it looks a little scary underneath but it seems to hold up well. We also have a clam screen tent that sets up in one minute, that is our extra space. Good luck in your search!
John
We do like the Scamp layout 6 but my wife prefers the glass doors on the cabinets of the Oliver.

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b