73' love bug Tri Fab - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Glen what would be your solution to titleing a 40-50 year old trailer that has been sitting in a barn or field

I would do whatever the Motor Vehicle Department requires, or I'd use it as an ice fishing shack and forget to retrieve it in the spring.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #22

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
FYI on trailer titles in Florida: below a certain weight, trailers are not titled. Mine is homebuilt, and all that was needed for registration was a weight slip, in my case from a recycling center.

340lbs! Woooohoooo! Yes, folks, fiberglass trailers can be light! :-)
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #23

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape Trailer Industries 5.0TA
Missouri
You might want to look into this: https://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html

In doing research in titling an old motorcycle I found the state of New Hampshire has very liberal title and licensing requirements. It can be done by anyone from any state through the mail.

The process requires you to title and plate it in New Hampshire and then after the plates run out in a year you can then use you New Hampshire title to transferee the trailer to your home state.

I don’t know all the fees and taxes involved. I believe the link above is a service that does all the leg work for you for a fee.
skipperclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #24

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Looks like we need a sticky here on how to register potentially stolen trailers and evade the law.

Well that is a really negative way to look at it. And frankly probably very false. The people stealing them know all the tricks already.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #25

Indiana
First question is if it has a vin number that is readable on it anywhere youn know of. Actually that can be a negative. Also do you have documentation on the work you have done on constructing it? Reconstucting it? But you are going to want to call it constructing.

Here in Indiana I know a number of people who have taken trailer RVs with no title or title history and titled them. The procedure was basically to first get a police inspection that said it didn't have a vin they could find and that it had no indication of being stolen. That is where not having a vin helps. Don't like remove it that can get you in trouble. If in the process of building it the vin in some manner through a later documented process of the construction gone then that is legal. How the vin is pretty much always on the frame, adn one time it was stamped in the cabinets so if you removed that cabinet as a part of construction you were golden. I know that in one case the trailer jack was installed where the vin number might have been. But to make this work there in some manner legitimately has to be no vin number.

Once you have the police inspection you take that along with reciepts and documentation of construction or major reconstruction to the BMV. They then review the documentation and issue you a self constructed trailer RV vin. You then have to permanently attach it in the manner required by current law. They will given you a short pamphlet on doing that.

Most of my friends what they do is to take the vin number to an army surplus store. Most have machines to make dog tags. Those that don't know who does. They have a dog tag made up with the vin. They then drill the ends of it and rivet it to the frame.

Then once it has the vin properly attached to the frame you take the information for the BMV and the trailer to a police department again. Again you get an inspection where they will verify that the VIN is the one given and it is properly installed. You then take that to your BMV and get a title. Then the licensing and everything else follows the normal process.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Well that is a really negative way to look at it. And frankly probably very false. The people stealing them know all the tricks already.

No humour eh?
Love your tutorial on how to register a stolen trailer.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #27

Name: Brandy
Trailer: 73' love bug tri fab
IA
I actually found a vin plate on the trailer hitch. I have to scrub it up, but I think I can make it readable.the courthouse asked me if I could find a vin, and I was honest. Its one of the reasons he changed his mind to do a bonded title.. Thank you for your info. The strange thing is he said if I made it a open ( cut top off) I could title it custom, even though I have a vin plate. Thank you for the info
Funky junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky junky View Post
I actually found a vin plate on the trailer hitch.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #29

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky junky View Post
I actually found a vin plate on the trailer hitch. I have to scrub it up, but I think I can make it readable.the courthouse asked me if I could find a vin, and I was honest. Its one of the reasons he changed his mind to do a bonded title.. Thank you for your info. The strange thing is he said if I made it a open ( cut top off) I could title it custom, even though I have a vin plate. Thank you for the info

That doesn't make sense. But then again I am in Indiana.

I know some people in Illinois who got a mechanics title on cars by placing an ad in the paper specifying that they were charging storage on the unit, and then waiting till the storage reached a certainly level.

Of course that only works if the vehicle is actually not listed as stolen. Once that vin is listed as stolen unless that is cleared no dice.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #30

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
No humour eh?
Love your tutorial on how to register a stolen trailer.

If you want to really do a stolen trailer, there are so many more easy ways. But they do take some shenanigans. The people who professionally or simiprofessionally steal trailers and other vehicles know the "better" ways for dealing with one that is stolen.

Yeah a rank amateur might find that useful. The people who are really doing it for profit have other ways. You have to actually work and work hard to make those ways work. And if you are stealing for aliving, you probably are not going to be doing hard work.

PS note the police inspection steps. I left out what they exactly check for and how they detect stolen units. As long as you were smart enough to actually report the theft to the police anyone doing what I laid out to try and title it is going to get caught and you are going to get it back. So actually maybe I did your argument a favor there. If they follow it and stole it that go th jail.

Tags
love bug