Upgrading RVs to Oliver - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Maybe I am wrong but it seems there is no permanent bed. If you set up the bed permanently, then you have a very small 2-person dinette with no real lounge area?
Are either the king or twin beds not both permanent? I thought so. It is quite a small dinette for this length of trailer, but I think a lot of that is due to the large amount of space used up by the bathroom.

An a lounge? You open the door, step outside, and enjoy the wonderful 'living' room that camping offers, just as we do in any moulded fiberglass trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #62

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anders.. do you still work for Oliver?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #63
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008 / Jeep Wrangler 2008 Unlimited
Hi Donna ! Not right now, Betty and I just got back from the Sugar Beet harvest up near the Canadian Border. We have talked with them about Doing a Canadian tour next year, but nothing definite employment wise. I think that someone else will be showing the Oliver's new model's out in Quartzite next year.
Anders Laurits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #64

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Looking at the new list of standards, you guys are getting way more than $1500 worth of upgrades. Nobody ever said they're inexpensive, but I can guarantee you are getting more quality than you're expecting. During the three (or so) months of our build, I went to the factory every other week and spent an eight hour shift with the fellows on the line. I watched them closely, asked a ton of questions and used my engineering to make suggestions (sometimes they even listened). I can say from observation, their work is top notch. You won't be disappointed in your unit and, better yet, you won't spend the next few years monking around with it modding it up trying to get it to be what it should have been all along. You can spend that time camping and enjoying one of the finest molded fiberglass travel trailers in the world.
Whether it is a car, house,trailer or the Millennium Falcon there will ALWAYS be necessary mods.
Otherwise how could you do the Kessel Run in less than twelve Parsecs.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #65

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Are either the king or twin beds not both permanent? I thought so. It is quite a small dinette for this length of trailer, but I think a lot of that is due to the large amount of space used up by the bathroom.

An a lounge? You open the door, step outside, and enjoy the wonderful 'living' room that camping offers, just as we do in any moulded fiberglass trailer.

Even in other brand 17's, there are 4-person dinettes and a permanent bed. The 23' Oliver does not seem to have that. Many people move to 17's so they do not have to make the lounge or dinette area into a bed every day. Jim, you do not make up your bed every day and neither do we. In a 23', hard to believe.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #66
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Three months to build a trailer? No wonder Ollies cost more if they are that inefficient at manufacturing.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #67

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Please name one where you get a 4 person dinette AND a permanent bed in 17 feet. All I've seen in these lengths is a dinette that makes into a bed. either/or, not both. With the Oliver you get two dinettes. One can be left as a bed while the other is left for dining. As these are mostly couples buying these size trailers, that is a fine setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #68

Escape 17' I thought but maybe only two person dinette. The Oliver however is 23' so I find that odd with all of that space. We have an Escape 19', four person dinette and queen bed. I will stand corrected on the 4-person for a 17'. Make that a 19'. They show the big lounge but it has to be made into the bed which even people with 17's do not want to do. That was my point.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #69

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Three months to build a trailer? No wonder Ollies cost more if they are that inefficient at manufacturing.

I've been quoted 6 to 8 weeks which is in line with other custom RV's that I've ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #70

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes, I guess you can get it in an Escape 17 if you don't want a bathroom but that seems to be something most people want in a 17. Seems to be a more limited market for the 17A's.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #71

South Carolina
LOL. No bathroom. That would be a fun choice!

A better comparison to the current Oliver is the Escape 21 anyways. If you like the wood interior, that may be a better option for you.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #72

17' Escape with bath and permanent bed has a two-person dinette. The 19' has the 4-person dinette and queen and bath.

The Oliver looks great. Different people have different considerations and that is a common one.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #73

Registry
Quote:
These are small companies, some can only build a few hundred trailers a year, most even fewer.
My Scamp Deluxe was ordered in October and delivered the following June.
They are a little faster now that they have doubled their output.

Back when you could custom order a car, it took an average of six weeks from order to delivery. That's with an assembly line which could produce a car every couple of minutes!
Good things come to those who wait!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #74

I think they mean the actual build time, Floyd, three months to build an Oliver. I think an Escape takes a month or so but if you order one now, you will have to wait nearly a year to get it.

Olivers are obviously in their own class with hardly any being made and they take their time with them. With Steve's list, no wonder, but everyone would not have that kind of list. There have been some Escape buyers with super customization. Takes more time and effort and cost.

If Burros and U-Hauls are double hull, what makes the Olivers so heavy? Perhaps it has nothing to do with the hulls but all of the other components instead.

Your Oliver looks fantastic, trumpetguy.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #75
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Quote:
lol...your a funny man Charlie!
Robert Partee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #76
Commercial Member

Hi Floyd, re; your comment "These are small companies, some can only build a few hundred trailers a year, most even fewer", here is a recent photo from the Oliver factory.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #77
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Partee View Post
lol...your a funny man Charlie!
Actually I spent almost 40 years as a Manufacturing Engineer.....

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #78
Commercial Member

The Oliver factory is in a very large industrial building, in the neighborhood of five acres under one roof. Here is a look at a different part of the line.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #79

South Carolina
Very cool. Looks like they roll them down to "stations" for various stages of assembly.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #80

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Laurits View Post
Hi Floyd, re; your comment "These are small companies, some can only build a few hundred trailers a year, most even fewer", here is a recent photo from the Oliver factory.
so what is the actual annual build capacity for Oliver?
[/QUOTE]

Tags
oliver