Trillium window screws - rusted, corroded and stripped (help) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrry smithe View Post
At that price ....Chinese?

So?
Old 03-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrry smithe View Post
At that price ....Chinese?
The screws you buy at Home Depot will likely be made in China too. The Ebay screws I have bought were all "sold by" sellers in the USA, but were actually made in.... Taiwan.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:13 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And, where do you think your iPad, iPhone, Mac, Chromebook, smartphone that you typed that on, was made?
Old 03-06-2021, 10:48 PM   #24

Name: R.R.
Trailer: Escape 21
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Are you sure the screws are stainless steel and not an aluminum alloy? I've had good luck with SS, strong, durable but expensive. Aluminum alloy screws look good when new but tend to oxidize and corrode and are much more brittle.
Reace, then owner of Escape Trailer sent me SS Anderson head screws after my new trailer had all window screws corroded within two weeks from pickup. Tried three SS before giving up after they snapped less than half way in. He then sent what they normally use and they are fine seven years later. He was right- it was a bad batch and several other owners during that same period had the same corrosion problem.
Osos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
That doesn’t mean that everything you buy has to be made off shore! Every product that is manufactured in USA provides to the quality of life we enjoy. You don’t see any foreign government funding our park and highway systems do you? Leaving foreign product on the shelf when you have a choice is the right thing to do!
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #26

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
There is a balance between imports and exports because we not only buy from offshore but sell as well.
The current trade deficit is the highest ever at a time where our policies have been tariffs and trade barriers.
Of course the driving force for offshore purchasing or manufacturing is profit for someone.
Not only are imports cutting into US (Don't say American as there is a North and South America, not to mention Canada) manufacturing, but counterfeit parts are a big problem as well even in aerospace hardware.
By the way did you check where the Lowe's hardware was made? I haven't, but the choice of manufacturer was still made on overall profits (taking into account many different aspects, not just purchase price).
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The fallacy is thinking that buying local means locally made. Home Depot, Lowes and Canadian Tire are full of made in China stuff. If it makes you feel better paying more locally for made in China stuff, go for it. Just don't ass-u-me its made in country.

Lowes transitioned their tools from made in US, to made in Taiwan, to now made in China. The original line was quite good, made by Williams and even Snap-On.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
There is a balance between imports and exports because we not only buy from offshore but sell as well.
The current trade deficit is the highest ever at a time where our policies have been tariffs and trade barriers.
Of course the driving force for offshore purchasing or manufacturing is profit for someone.
Not only are imports cutting into US (Don't say American as there is a North and South America, not to mention Canada) manufacturing, but counterfeit parts are a big problem as well even in aerospace hardware.
By the way did you check where the Lowe's hardware was made? I haven't, but the choice of manufacturer was still made on overall profits (taking into account many different aspects, not just purchase price).
First thing I do is look for label of origin, second thing is decide whether I really need it. If Walmart or Lowe’s, HD, exc. just sold USA manufactured products, their stores would be the size of a small garage. Consumers are where the $$$ stops to paraphrase HST!
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #29

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
It's been my experience that when I need something like a part for my trailer, I have options as to where I can purchase that part and thus where it was made. Some manufacturers have better quality control than others.
I bought my trailer new. About two years later the fridge died. It seems other owners of similar units had the same problem, caused by faulty mother boards. These off shore produced mother boards delaminated during use and failed. The dealership offered me a replacement part which was identical to the one that failed. Not wanting to be in another situation where I had to forego another camping trip because I had no fridge, I decided to look for an alternate replacement product. I bough one manufactured in the US. It's been going strong for many years.
When the US manufacturer learned of my situation, he beat the off shore price. He gave me a quality product at a better price. I get quality products and the manufacturer gets ALL my future business and recommendations from me to other consumers to do the same.
A lower initial purchase price isn't a bargain if it doesn't work or has to be replaced frequently. You get what you pay for and the choice is yours.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium