Fiberstream Active Owners - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #21

Name: Randy & Ranae
Trailer: Fiber Stream
OR - Oregon
Registry
Fiber Stream Resources

Sam,

I just started a new thread for the posting of Fiber Stream resources. The wiring diagrams are the first item I've uploaded. Hope this helps. Didn't want to get this thread bogged down with technical stuff. Keeping it more introductions and discussions.

TTFN!
OR335d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:48 AM   #22

Name: Amy
Trailer: Fiberstream
Georgia
We just bought a fiberstream. I love it. I’m so excited to see the end product of our restoration.
Creamowheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #23

OR - Oregon
Registry
Post pictures right away! We're all curious. There's a lot of good support and experience here.

R&R
Old 02-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #24

Name: Sam
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJordanX2 View Post
Howdy there, I own a 1985 FIBER Stream also. My Wife and I (Randy and Renee Jordan) were on this site in the past, but haven't been on in years, as a truck driving career kept us from camping for quite a while. we had photos etc. but they have been taken off. We plan on using " Little Ruthie" once again! We just got her back from the repair place for some needed work. I will post pictures soon. Hi to all the folks who went to Bullards Beach. years ago.
and, Hello to all the people we haven't met yet!!! We are going to try and start showing up for some of the Fiberglass Ralley's soon.we live in Central Point OR.
Happy Trails!!

Hi Guys, and welcome back. I am almost done gutting my Fiber Stream and putting in new plywood flooring. Once done, I'm considering doing a frame off job to allow for some reinforcement. I think I will be going back with a composting toilet this time around. Any thoughts on this?
Sam Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #25

OR - Oregon
Registry
Sam,

Hope your project is coming along well. I agree doing a frame-off project is best, but there are some fasteners under the toilet and shower that make this difficult. If you have the bathroom out, go for it! I'll be beefing up our frame this spring by adding 1" tube steel to the bottom of the frame and re-installing the suspension at the new lower height. I need about 1" more ground clearance, and adding 1" of thickness more than doubles the strength of the frame. Our frames tend to bow down a little in the back, so I'll try support at the front and back before I start welding.

For composting toilets, check out some videos by "Driving and Vibin'" Kyle and Olivia lived full time in a Fiber Stream for two years and switched to a composting toilet. They've recently spent a year rebuilding a Airstream Argosy and chose differently for the composting toilet in their newer rig. They've just hit the road again.

As you rebuild, make sure the walls at the fridge and between the kitchen and the front are well adhered to the wall. These play a critical role in transferring the load from the roof to the floor. Without these, the walls want to bow out a little, which is what allows the trailer to sag. This also leads to the sag in the floor at the back inner corner of the fridge.

Happy Trails!
Randy & Ranae
Old 02-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #26

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1985 Fiber Stream
Nevada
85 Fiber Stream

Hello Y'all
I just purchased a 1985 Fiber Stream from Keith up in Oregon! And to say I am excited and scared is an understatement! I plan to go full time by April of next year. Here are some pics of her now and I will be sure to update you along the way.
Ashley
Attached Thumbnails
Fiber Stream.jpg   Fiber stream 1.jpg  

Fiber stream 2.jpg   Fiber stream 4.jpg  

NomadNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #27

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR335d View Post
Sam,

Hope your project is coming along well. I agree doing a frame-off project is best, but there are some fasteners under the toilet and shower that make this difficult. If you have the bathroom out, go for it! I'll be beefing up our frame this spring by adding 1" tube steel to the bottom of the frame and re-installing the suspension at the new lower height. I need about 1" more ground clearance, and adding 1" of thickness more than doubles the strength of the frame. Our frames tend to bow down a little in the back, so I'll try support at the front and back before I start welding.

For composting toilets, check out some videos by "Driving and Vibin'" Kyle and Olivia lived full time in a Fiber Stream for two years and switched to a composting toilet. They've recently spent a year rebuilding a Airstream Argosy and chose differently for the composting toilet in their newer rig. They've just hit the road again.

As you rebuild, make sure the walls at the fridge and between the kitchen and the front are well adhered to the wall. These play a critical role in transferring the load from the roof to the floor. Without these, the walls want to bow out a little, which is what allows the trailer to sag. This also leads to the sag in the floor at the back inner corner of the fridge.

Happy Trails!
Randy & Ranae

Hello R&R.

Just a couple of questions and notes. I noticed that you have not flipped your axles. I did this and it gave me the height to allow me to put on some nice 13" aluminum rims and some really nice wider radial RV tires from Costco. The skinny !2" tires blew out on me during a road trip and I decided they just weren't safe. I did it myself and it was not too difficult.

I can give you details if you want.

OK. so here is something I've been considering for a while. I want to add some shocks while I have the frame off. I am actually thinking about dual shocks at each mounting point on each axle(total of 8 shock absorbers!). I am also considering adding that one inch tube as well.

As far as Interior walls go, I am looking to mount all of them with glued on metal angle tabs. My goal is to not have any exterior screws penetrating the fiberglass shell. Sounds a little extreme, I know, but all those holes are what led to the problems I have now.

I will try and post photos of my progress soon.

Thanks,

Sam
Old 02-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #28

Name: William
Texas
Nice to know someone is close with the same project underway.
I’m on South Padre with an 81’ Fiber Stream 16 footer.
Staring from the frame up. I’m going to have an aluminum one built locally just following the old frame. The shell I have a gentleman who’s removed all hardware and is preparing to paint. Send me some pics to motivate and I’ll do the same.
Good luck
bubbagucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #29

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagucci View Post
Nice to know someone is close with the same project underway.
I’m on South Padre with an 81’ Fiber Stream 16 footer.
Staring from the frame up. I’m going to have an aluminum one built locally just following the old frame. The shell I have a gentleman who’s removed all hardware and is preparing to paint. Send me some pics to motivate and I’ll do the same.
Good luck
Hello Bubbagucci!

Nice to hear that someone is as crazy about Fiber Streams as I am. Wow. An Aluminum frame. Now that would be something. When you are planning it all out, I'd like to know how/and how much, lift you will be adding from the original. In my dreams I envision adding shocks as part of my frame reinforcement/rebuild. I'm trying to go for as open a floor plan as I can. Water storage/bathroom/shower are the permanently installed items. Would really like to install a propane instant hot water heater unit. I'm also trying to figure out how I can install the toilet a little lower to the level of the shower pan. I will try and post a few images of my progress so far. Keep the info flowing. If you are in the San Antonio area, drop on by. We are about 15 miles north on 281.

Check these Fiber Stream photos out

https://gramho.com/explore-hashtag/fiberstream

Thanks,

Sam Roberts 210-415-1173
Bulverdeman@gmail.com
Old 02-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #30

OR - Oregon
Registry
Sam,

We were able to mount the trailer with 13" wheels/tires without the axle flip. Because of our tow rig, (we get 25 mpg towing) the nice low height is desired. One more inch higher with the frame stiffening might be OK.

No ideas on the shocks yet.

Regarding the angle tabs and the walls, we roughed up the surface of the fiberglass on the inside and bonded all our wood to the shell, using the original screw locations until the glue was cured. We then pulled out the screws and filled the holes with fiberglass and painted. So far, working really well. I'd do this in addition to the tabs you mentioned. No holes left in ours.

Best of luck!

Randy and Ranae
Old 03-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #31

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1985 Fiber Stream
Nevada
Hello Randy,
I was wondering if you could share what type of glue you used to secure the wood to wall? Your reno is absolutely inspiring!
Thanks,
Ashley
NomadNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #32

OR - Oregon
Registry
Glue for Fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadNewbie View Post
Hello Randy,
I was wondering if you could share what type of glue you used to secure the wood to wall? Your reno is absolutely inspiring!
Thanks,
Ashley
Ashley,

I used the old version of Loctite PL Premium Max. They key is surface prep and temporary bracing. I used a really aggressive (36 grit) sanding disk on an angle grinder to prep the surface of the inside fiberglass shell. Almost no tube adhesives bond well to the glossy back of fiberglass. Make sure to use a very very good dust mask, more like an automotive painting mask. Vacuum really well afterwards with the mask still on. Fiberglass dust is really bad for your lungs. When you glue the pieces in place, make sure they are braced well. This adhesive expands as it cures and may try to push the wood away from the wall.

R&R
Old 03-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #33

Name: Dawn
California
Hello!

Hi we are new owners of the classic not quite vintage 86 Fiber Stream. We are the second owners and getting ready to give it new life!

Quote:
I've noticed a lot of Fiberstream owners from years past on this forum, but very few recently. Who out there is still actively using a Fiberstream?

Thanks!

Randy and Ranae
Lil Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #34

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Dawn View Post
Hi we are new owners of the classic not quite vintage 86 Fiber Stream. We are the second owners and getting ready to give it new life!

Welcome Lil Dawn. I am currently rehabbing my Fiber Stream. Lots of work. The coolest small camper ever made! Good luck with Your's.

Sam Roberts
San Antonio, Texas
Old 05-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #35

OR - Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Roberts View Post
Welcome Lil Dawn. I am currently rehabbing my Fiber Stream. Lots of work. The coolest small camper ever made! Good luck with Your's.

Sam Roberts
San Antonio, Texas
Hey Sam,

Time for some updates!

Thanks,
Randy and Ranae
Old 05-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #36

Texas
Quote:
I've noticed a lot of Fiberstream owners from years past on this forum, but very few recently. Who out there is still actively using a Fiberstream?

Thanks!

Randy and Ranae

Well, you might say I'm using it. Started a complete gutting and stalled out. Have replacedall the floor except at the bathroom area. Planning on getting back to it in June.

Sam Roberts
bulverdeman@gmail.com
Old 07-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #37

Name: Caroline
Trailer: Fiber stream
Oregon
I am still here. 1986 fiber stream in Silverton, Oregon
Ivesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #38

Name: Rich
Trailer: Currently Shopping - Fiberstream
Minnesota
Picking up and 1980's vintage FIberstream this weekend

Hello -

New to all of this. A friend is selling us his Fiberstream. Driving 9 hours this weekend to pick up and bring to Minnesota. Stay tuned, I am sure I will have a million questions.

Wish me luck!

Rich
rmcgeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #39

Name: Frank
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream
Nevada
Registry
I lived in my 82 Fiber Stream for a short time when I moved to Nevada. I parked it at a friends house for a few years and now I am restoring it at my home in Vegas. Just about ready to do the first camp out in it in a few weeks. Cannot wait. So short story long Yes still actively useing my Fiber Stream!
canyon Rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #40

OR - Oregon
Registry
Informal Fiber Stream Gathering

All,

We are from Salem Oregon and travel up to an hour or two away. Would like to schedule a "get out of the house" trip for earlier this spring. Anyone want to get together and share Fiber Stream stories of experience?

Thanks,
Randy and Ranae

Tags
fiberstream