Anyone to answer ASAP Boler ??'s ?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Yes Suzanne, you do have an axel, for want of a better word, actually it connects your two axles that the hubs and wheels mount on at the ends.... the bend/arc is supposed to be there....it sets the camber angle, relationship of the angle of the wheels relative to the ground, slightly in at the bottom......if it is sagged on one side, if not because of the side to side weight distribution, then usually you`ll need a new axel ass`y.....if it isn`t adjustable, which it probably isn`t.....Benny
Hmmm- - -if it's sagged on one side, prob means that the rubber in the torsion axle is worn out ( and prob so on a '78 model) My axle was was purchased thru a trailer supply in Seattle and was about $235 (if I remember right) laid in to Eastern WA. A fresh axle should takecare of the sag. There is a whole thread just on axles and replacement on the forum. (that's where I learned ...--by lurking)
Another word of caution---- as one is looking for an fiberglass/egg etc, don't leap on the first one you stumble across, and do your research. In fact I think I spotted a Compact sitting outside of Cle Elum Sun nite on the way home, am gonna take another look today when buzzing home fro Tacoma, and will investigate SAt on a road trip. Think you might be interested? PM me. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Make sure to check the frame out first, that can be a huge expense if there are issues with it. Biggest caution on my part.

I aquired a 75 Boler this year for about $2000 and I put about the same into it so far.

$300 cushion covers from Scamp
$375 cushions from Labbee here in Calgary
$200 tires
$100 New tail lights and marker lights
Etc.

We could have survived with some stuff that was replace, but 30 year old cushions just had to go I was told.

The little things make up the rest and I am still not done.

I read above someone stated to not jump into things, best advice ever!

Good luck,
Dave
David Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
YIKES I BOUGHT IT! See the little lean? Just an hour ago. Oh well, it was only $1800. Aside: I went to go buy a Jeep Cherokee 3 weeks ago, and the dealer said "buy the trailer with it and it'll only be $10K"--it was a 2003 Casita, which I sold recently for $10.5K, so I got a "free" car and an oldy moldy Boler for a sum total of $1300...not too bad! I don't want to "flip" this or anything, I only inquired about resale because it's good to know. Now, I guess I attack mechanical first, put off cosmetic for later...
I must've driven past it 5 times over the last week, couldn't decide...I took it for a good tow, no sounds, nothing apparently wrong, it's like it wasn't even there, easy to hitch up, my kids are totally unimpressed because it's smoky and has some mold, but they can see that it's "cute" nonetheless. I'd owned a Class C with the frills, I hated the black water etc., never really used the bathroom much...this is just beautiful simplicity. A solid wall against the elements and a locked door against (who?).
I was thinking of going to Les Schwab Tires (Seattle area) for new wheels, have them look at the belly...do they do that?--well, I'll call. Seems this is my new project! I'll replace the floor with laminate, I'll reupholster, recoat, buff, take off the stickers depicting an old guy in his boxers shooting a deer...should be a good little investment to take the worry out of camping (I hope). THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INPUT--I'm sure I'll have questions.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT3069.JPG  
Suzanne P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #24

OH, thanks for the information!...I'm glad, since I bought it...they're spendy up here in PNW Seattle/Vancouver...you can get one in Saskatchewan or Edmunton, for in the $1900-2900 range...I've not seen any bargains, there's some funky ones going for $7900, I noticed one for $3600 that sold on eBay ---it was black and it said "Playboy Mansion" on it!
I'm getting tires/wheels checked out before doing any cosmetic work
Thank-you, I'll be telling the mechanic about what you said.

Quote:
Yes Suzanne, you do have an axel, for want of a better word, actually it connects your two axles that the hubs and wheels mount on at the ends.... the bend/arc is supposed to be there....it sets the camber angle, relationship of the angle of the wheels relative to the ground, slightly in at the bottom......if it is sagged on one side, if not because of the side to side weight distribution, then usually you`ll need a new axel ass`y.....if it isn`t adjustable, which it probably isn`t.....Benny
Old 06-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #25

AWW too late, I took the "leap" a few hours ago. You know I factor in the "here and now" quotient...it was close by, and, life's a bit of a gamble. It towed nicely, cosmetic stuff is doable (I am remodeling a house so it's like a miniaturized effort)---I may get a rotten surprise at the mechanic's but I did clear the deal and made out well overall, can't complain.

Quote:
Hmmm- - -if it's sagged on one side, prob means that the rubber in the torsion axle is worn out ( and prob so on a '78 model) My axle was was purchased thru a trailer supply in Seattle and was about $235 (if I remember right) laid in to Eastern WA. A fresh axle should takecare of the sag. There is a whole thread just on axles and replacement on the forum. (that's where I learned ...--by lurking)
Another word of caution---- as one is looking for an fiberglass/egg etc, don't leap on the first one you stumble across, and do your research. In fact I think I spotted a Compact sitting outside of Cle Elum Sun nite on the way home, am gonna take another look today when buzzing home fro Tacoma, and will investigate SAt on a road trip. Think you might be interested? PM me. Larry
Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #26

Well, I hope I don't get a bad surprise at the mechanics...I just drove it around, it seems fine...will post results (I thought I was over-agonizing, maybe I didn't agonize the right way?)
Old 06-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
YIKES I BOUGHT IT! See the little lean?
This trailer appears to be eggsactly what you want...congratulations.

Suzanne, now that I've seen a picture....the "lean" you think you are seeing is actually the body....the body is supposed to hang down lower on the door side of these older trailers. I think for the most part, the body was "evened out" on newer bodies.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Suzanne,

Congratulations and welcome to the fixemup club.
Will look forward to following your progress and post lots of pics as you go along.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler 1984
Congratulations.
If it's safe to tow and you've cleaned it to your satisfaction, then you can use it as is and do your reno's whenever. If you do what is necessary now, the rest can be done as you see fit. Meenwhile, enjoy!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #30

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Congrats on your "new" trailer...as said by others...if it`s safe , just clean it up and use it! .. ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #31

STAGE 1: UGLY BUT FUNCTIONAL AND SAFE
STAGE 2: "PERTY" AND SAFE and all the bells 'n whistles

Quote:
Congrats on your "new" trailer...as said by others...if it`s safe , just clean it up and use it! .. ...Benny

Tags
boler