Boler Door Gasket/Seal question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

Name: C
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Boler Door Gasket/Seal question

Hi,

I'm a fairly new owner of a 1974 Boler, and we've just used it for the first time a few days ago.

My question: What sort of door gasket/seal is it supposed to have?

Is this material from the Scamp site correct (see scamp link)?

Tapes & Trims : Black Plastic Trim (Price Per Ft)

My Boler currently has a huge fat 1" square automotive grade gasket along the seal lip, but because of it's thickness it gives a ton of resistance to closing the door, I know it cannot be good for the hinges or more importantly the attachment points. This is a high priority for me, so any thoughts/comments would be great!
Guy with a Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
The edging shown in the Scamp link is not the door seal. It is used to provide a clean edge aground the door opening between the fiberglass and the Rinoskin insulation material.

I personally use a white open cell foam, adhesive backed weather stripping. I believe the dimensions are 3/4" wide x 1/2" thick. You can get different thicknesses depending on your door gaps.

This weather stripping can be picked up at Home Depot or the like and is used for home window weather stripping.

I like the open cell foam because it crushes flat with little effort and does not make the door too difficult to close. But it does keep out road dust and bugs!

Last time I changed the weather stripping was over 5 years ago and it is still going strong (it has yellowed a little but otherwise still holding up).

Old 03-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks very much.

1. Do you use this material instead of or in addition to the trim piece I linked?

2. I take it that it would be applied around the door opening close to the edge/lip?

3. Does anyone have a photo or a link to a photo that would be a good template to follow? I've been looking but pics seem small or not very clear...

Thanks very much,
Chris
Old 03-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #4

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ft. Rob.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	93606We used the same stuff as jkmboler, purchased from Home Depot. Originally I ordered the new door seal from Scamp, but it wouldn't squish down when I closed the door, so my door wouldn't latch. We used the product from Home Depot INSTEAD of the Scamp door seal and it has worked really well. You can see it is the black line around the door in this picture.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #5

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy with a Boler View Post
Thanks very much.

1. Do you use this material instead of or in addition to the trim piece I linked?

2. I take it that it would be applied around the door opening close to the edge/lip?

3. Does anyone have a photo or a link to a photo that would be a good template to follow? I've been looking but pics seem small or not very clear...

Thanks very much,
Chris

1. In conjunction with the trim piece you linked.

2. Yes, follow the profile of the outer edge of the door.

3. You can see the black weather stripping in emij's photo. I put the weather stripping on the camper body, but you could also put it on the door.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #6

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
I bought gasket material at O'Riley auto parts store , 13 ft for $25 ! Worked out perfectly ! Has a lip and everything
mexbob5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:39 AM   #7

British Columbia
thanks for the replies!
Old 03-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #8

Name: Ash
British Columbia
Updates?

Hey folks, has the state of the art changed on this at all?

Scamp has a couple products, I think the rib seal is new as the old door trim product linked at the top of this thread is a dead link.

- ?New? Door Rib Seal (https://www.scamptrailers.com/product/rib-door-seal)
- Door trim (https://www.scamptrailers.com/produc...m-price-per-ft)

Has anyone used the above Scamp products? I'm assuming they're meant to be used together, please correct me if I'm mistaken!

Thanks in advance!
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler