Boler interior cabinet paint. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: sean
Trailer: Boler 1973
Alberta
Boler interior cabinet paint.

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone could provide a bit of feedback on painting my interior fiberglass cabinets and storage. One of the previous owners of the Boler I recently bought put a lot of screw holes in all the fiberglass storage and cabinets. I've sanded and filled everything but am a little hesitant to start painting. I was thinking of putting a primer and a couple topcoats of a rustoleum product on everything (except the Ensolite, it is actually pretty clean) but want to make sure that It adheres well. Any advice?
A_Generalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Hey Sean, I would get some grease and wax remover from a paint supplier and
clean the panels apply primer and sand to at least 320 or finer clean with tack rags and should be good to go!!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Alberta
Thanks! Sounds like I am on the right track. Just getting started on fixing up our Boler, thought we would get the cabinet painting out of the way early on.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We'd use, after proper prep as suggested above, Rustoleum Marine primer in white and Rustoleum Marine enamel. It makes a very nice surface. It adheres very well.

There are better Marine enamels, but Rustoleum does a very fine job. And for inside--? We used it on the outside AND inside, and it came out really nice.

BEST
Kai
Old 05-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #5

Alberta
Thanks! This is great, I'll share my before after pictures. This Boler interior felt a little like Swiss cheese... glad to be taking back to hopefully what it originally looked like
Old 12-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
"There are better Marine enamels, but Rustoleum does a very fine job. And for inside--? We used it on the outside AND inside, and it came out really nice."

How has this been holding up
Johnb533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #7

Registry
Johnb533: it's holding up excellently since early 2016. We don't cover it and we don't store it inside. We DO check it about weekly for leaks. It was a leaking water tank and toilet drain that seemed to be the focus of the trouble to begin with--that and some small cracks above the door that let the door frame rot out. THAT was rebuilt with very sappy local fir that we read was pretty good at resisting occasional water. We did reseal everything after fixing/fiberglassing over 82 holes. Paul is a tireless prepper and sander and refinisher.

The paint is doing great. I know there is at least one better marine brand, Briteside or Brightside. But we "found" this, and finding is 9/10ths of gettin' 'er done. And DONE is better than "perfect." At least, sez me.

BEST
"K"
Old 12-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
That's great to hear we are starting to think of paint in the near future it's good to know it has been holding up good! How did you paint yours? Roll and tip?
Johnb533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #9

Registry
Paul used a foam "hot dog" roller and nothing else. He rolled it THIN and diligently after leaving weird brush strokes by trying to "tip" it. The point of the tipping is to make sure all the bubbles are broken; the marine enamels self-level very nicely, but those pesky bubbles...as it was, between thinness and serious rolling, he broke all the bubbles with the roller itself. He didn't u se a fuzzy roller. Then he sanded between coats and rolled again. He used 1-2 layers of primer, sanding between, and 1-2 layers of paint, being sure to end each roll INTO the wet area. It seems to keep it all smoother.

Good luck to you! By the time you're painting, you are really on top of the project! It is so satisfying to make it pretty!

We love pics...hint hint.

BEST
"K"
Old 12-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #10

Registry
THIS is what we covered. The white areas are primed, filled holes, mostly.The neighbors thought it was some kind of skypod or ski lift...

Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 016.JPG   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 027.JPG  

Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 036.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 038.JPG  

Old 12-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #11

Name: Carter
Trailer: Eco
Kansas
I just used hard-ware store rustoleum enamel rolled on after a light scuffing. They came out beautifully. I also had a *lot* of screw holes to fill.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #12

Registry
And this is a sample of how it looks now; we never got many pics inside, too bad. Photo System Failure.

We added a few more decals, from e-bay. You can get some customized, logos reproduced, fun things...and it makes the project look more finished.

Good luck to you!
"K"
Attached Thumbnails
1A 3 Setting it down again after removing it from the frame.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 053.JPG  

Peanut 8 2016 D.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 108.JPG  

Old 12-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #13

Registry
Rustoleum paint makes a nice product. The big mistake is to use latex, especially house paints. UGH!

Tags
boler, paint