1973 boler complete rebuild - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1975 Triple E Surfside
Alberta
Registry
1973 boler complete rebuild

Hi there everyone.. I'm taking on a big project of rebuilding my daughters boler.. We got it very cheap because it has been sitting in the bushes for over ten years. The frame is bad.. there is a crack in the body above the drivers side rear window.. most likely caused by the sagging frame. And someone many years ago painted the body with what looks like pool paint ! The good news is that the interior is great.. The ensolite walls are in very good condition. However the upholstery needs to be redone. I will be updating the wiring, propane system and hardware. I have removed the cabinets and now I have pulled the frame out. The plan is to build a complete new frame using the ideas I have found on the web. I will be using the pieces from a Coleman tent trailer for the new frame. I have some questions ? The old frame seems to have the factory dexter axle however the angle is 22 degrees.. not the 10 like other say . Plus the arm is forward and up ? Most of the new frames that are made show the arm down and back.. that's the way I thought was right ? which is better ? I bought new axle.. shows it down and back. Anyway you can follow my work on my blog.. link below

1973 Boler Trailer… | Rob's Workshop

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170910_103847.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	112817
Old 10-21-2017, 09:41 PM   #2

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Hi Rob,
It is a great project , I'm pretty much doing the same thing as you. I found our little trailer that lived in the pasture for probably 15 or 20 years.
I gutted the whole thing, and got a new frame build with a new axle tat was build by Dexter in Calgary, and it is an original boler axel with the arms facing forward.

I scraped 3 layers of old paint off the bottom part, and used automotive paint stripper for that. I was hoping to have the trailer primered this fall but I don't think it is going to happen. For now she is in the garage and getting ready to put the inside back together and windows refurbished.

I'm enjoying every bit of it and I'm sure you will too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1702.JPG  
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #3

Alberta
Registry
Right on.. These are one of the most rewarding projects.. and the value of a restored one is high enough to make it worth while.. The one I'm doing is for my Daughter and will live in Edmonton when it's done.
Do you have photos of your frame.. Mine is in the jig figuring things out.

Name:	20171021_164945.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	112869
Old 10-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #4

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeye View Post
Right on.. These are one of the most rewarding projects.. and the value of a restored one is high enough to make it worth while.. The one I'm doing is for my Daughter and will live in Edmonton when it's done.
Do you have photos of your frame.. Mine is in the jig figuring things out.

Attachment 112869
Here are pictures of my new frame, I don't weld myself but found a welder on kijiji that build it in his spare time and did a good job. I brought him the old frame and he just copied that.
My welder used a lot heavier steel than the original so it should last a long time.
Have a look at Ian Giles website tons of info . Boler.ca

Torsion Axle – everything you want to know – Boler.ca
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1832.jpg   IMG_1831.jpg  

Old 10-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Those Bolers are neat little trailers.

My Trillium was in bad shape also.

One of the first things I did was lift the shell off and pull out the frame.
There was a set of rusted out screws and gravity holding the shell on.

My frame was an original, I suspect before they went into full production. Seems to have heavier gauge walls.

My original axle was completely shot. So, out came the torch and away went the axle. I purchased a new #3500 one with a 22.5 degree down angle.

The Trillium fame has a "drop down" of 3" where it begins to go under the trailer. Since I plan on doing some exploring, I added a 2" X 3" tube to each side and then positioned the axle so that the arm was in the "following" orientation. Originally the axle had the arm pointing forward. Why, I have absolutely no idea.

Now I have more load capacity and more ground clearance.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I'm doing the same thing with our new to us '79 Boler 17'. Re doing stuff as it gets removed and storing until it's ready for installation. Here's the stove from start to finish:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...one-82631.html
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:51 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
wow

You guys are amazin!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #8

Alberta
Registry
I'm impressed with the work you guys are doing.. This is what I like to do.. make stuff new again. I should have my frame done in a week or two. Then it will have to go outside to make room for the body. That will be messy.. I will remove all the windows and fittings.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
My axle was turned over by a PO making it a trailing arm instead of the original factory leading arm. It was wore out so we replaced it with a new #9 Dexter and decided to leave it trailing arm. It has to be mounted under the lower floor to make it a trailing arm so you will have to alter the frame cross member under the lower floor by cutting notches to accommodate it.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #10

Missouri
rob

rob when done bring that rig to me and your work. 13f stevie needs a redo for free of course. I will furnish food.

nice of me right?

bob
Old 10-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #11

Alberta
Registry
That's quite a drive Bob ! Yes I think I'll see how the trailing configuration will work.. just worried that it will add to much height
Old 10-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #12

Missouri
next

rob are you going to repaint? if so are you rollin or sprayin?

bob
Old 10-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #13

Alberta
Registry
Spraying... I'll treat it like any vehicle..
Old 01-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Hi Guys.. been busy.. finished the frame over a month ago. And it has a lot more metal to it.. but only ads 100lbs. I'm finished the body work and the repaint.. Rather than make a mess in my small shop I decided to use Interlux boat paint and roll it on.. very good results. One coat of primer two coats of finish color. Now I'm installing lights, windows and the door.. having
troubles with the size of door gasket. It's best to see what I'm up to on my web page ...link below
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
20171102_085814.jpg   20171227_124816.jpg  

Old 01-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #15

Missouri
your paint job

fantastic paint job

congratulations

bob
Old 01-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #16

Alberta
That looks really good, do you care to share what Interlux paint and primer you used and how did you paint it roller or brush or roll and tip as I'm getting ready to paint mine as well.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Here's a pic of the three cans of paint. one quart does the whole exterior. I use a foam mini roller. and a brush for the edges and the four light bezels.

Name:	20171217_162625.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	114928
I got this paint in Kelowna.. I'm sure there is a dealer IN Calgary or Ed . Here's the link to my painting post. http://www.robeye.net/2017/12/17/197...er-4-painting/
Old 01-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
My axle was turned over by a PO making it a trailing arm instead of the original factory leading arm. It was wore out so we replaced it with a new #9 Dexter and decided to leave it trailing arm. It has to be mounted under the lower floor to make it a trailing arm so you will have to alter the frame cross member under the lower floor by cutting notches to accommodate it.
On my Trillium the axle was also worn out. Probably 50 years old so it was entitled to be worn out.

When I replaced it I wanted to change the arm orientation, from leading to trailing. I also had it made with a 22 degree down-angle.

To make it work, I added a 2" X 3" rectangular tubing to the portion of the frame that was bent "upwards". Then I had to re-position the mounting plates of the axle so that the wheels would be in the correct place for the wheel wells. Had the added advantage of adding extra ground clearance.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #19

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
nice job Rob. My 73 needs a new axle but will probably just replace it with something close to original with probably a bit more lift. BC frame and Axle? in Langley apparently builts nice ones. BTW my frame was re enforced by previous owner
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #20

Alberta
Registry
I used the axles from Princess Auto. They are made in the same factory as the original Dexter axles.. And I added 2 " lift to the frame.. The factory frame on my 73 had been reinforced too.. but still sagged. There is not enough strength behind the axle. Get 4 people sitting at the table and you WILL bend the frame. Also the floor looses it's strength over time.. So my new frame is beefy enough to support the floor.. I do recommend building a new frame if you are changing axles anyway. And change the mounting method for the body too.. Boler's are worth the work !

Name:	20171101_144850.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	115007

Tags
boler