Randy's really ambitious Boler restoration - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #21

Name: Randy
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Thanks Fred, going to post a few more pics today. Good idea about letting the body warm up in the sun. Just so happens my garage is pretty full with my Landcruiser and other stuff, so most of the work will be outside this spring/summer. Not looking forward to wearing Tyvek though!
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #22

British Columbia
Frame Update

Dave and I (mainly Dave) finished 90% of the new frame yesterday. Poured rain, but we set up a folding tent and it kept things dry for the most part. I'm going to pick up both frames Tuesday night, then drop off the new frame at the powder coater. After that I will order the new axle.
Once I get it home I will add the front jack and expanded steel for the front tongue and figure storage for batteries and a propane tank.

So a couple questions to the FGRV community, what type of mechanical implement jack does anyone recommend? I bought one from Princess Auto but decided I don't want to use it. Same for scissor jacks, favourites or recommendations?

For the body, I mentioned I am going to “hang it” over the frame, supported on the inside with ratcheting quick support rods and plywood. The closet is still attached, but will be removed so the body can go back to it's natural shape. Do I bother tracing out the curve of the body before I remove the closet and use it for a template? If I do can this curve be used for the forward side of the door frame as well, or are they quite different? With all the previous repairs and modifications before me, someone actually shaved the top corner of the door on one side to fit the opening, I've got some serious challenges ahead.
Attached Thumbnails
20200502_143847.jpg   20200502_153118.jpg  

20200502_160704.jpg  
Old 05-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
If the curve of the door fits the body curve and looks decent I would maintain that. The edge of the door is easy to shape.
If the closet looks good curve wise save the shape.
Imo, I wouldn't worry about perfect, none of them ever were but look for clean lines.
If your reusing the interior pieces I think having them bolted but not tight
to the shell during any glass work is better for helping to maintain shape.
Fred
Old 05-11-2020, 06:05 AM   #24

Name: Tenneille
British Columbia
Registry
My Peace river built boler also had the bench fiberglassed to the wall on the door side from corner. When I took out the bench I had to cut with a Dremmel. Planning on Fiberglassing it back in since I’m thinking there was a reason for it and not a repair.
Tenneille M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #25

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
My Campster Trailer got a new frame built for it last year. I don't think it will ever settle to match the new frame. The new frame was made very flat built on top a substantial floor made just for welding up frames for cars, trailers and such.

I ended up having to cut shims to put between the frame and the fiberglass shell. My Campster has a full fiberglass shell with a 3/8" plywood floor bonded to it on the interior. I don't think it sat on a level surface very much of its life. It will never be a perfect fit. The rear door went cockeyed when we tried to bolt it to the new frame. Did not want to rebuild the door so therefore I had to make shims to put between the frame and the shell. What ever works, fixing old stuff is always going to be a compromise situation. You can't make it perfect so there is no point in worrying about perfection. Just make it do and move on to the next chore.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #26

British Columbia
Hey Tenneille, my Boler was also built in Peace River (1972) and like yours the bench is/was fiberglassed to the outer wall. Had to be a reason, maybe to add strength? I found on mine it pulled the wall in at least 8" from the side opposite the door. When I bought my Boler the door was already off and no hinges, a quick "test" fit showed the gap. Once I get the new frame under it, I will trace the closet curve and save it as a reference. Next, I plan to remove the closet, the shitty aluminum patch above the door and see how it actually wants to sit. I'll suspend the body just above the frame with interior supports. My thinking is when they came out of the mould back in 72, they would go on a any frame built in the factory then finessed into place, maybe then I'll see why they needed to glass the bench to the wall.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #27

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
My 73 Peace River boler had the same glassed in section on the bench corner by the door. I'm also thinking it pretty much has to be for additional strength on the door. It pulled in the lower shell by a good 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch on that side.
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:27 PM   #28

British Columbia
Finally got my frame back from being sandblasted and an epoxy coating applied, pretty happy with it overall. Forgot the bumper, need to go and pick that up. Cut up the old frame and dropped off at a metal recyclers, got a whole $5.00! Next up is a new axle. I priced one but the wait time could be 2-3 weeks or longer. Started to search around and found a guy literally around the corner who builds axles, springs etc Turned out he has an axle someone else had ordered a while back, for a Boler no less! We just need to change up the brackets to fit my frame. I'm really hoping to get the axle and mount it by next weekend.

In the meantime I have been thinking about the body and frame mating up, it is going to involve a lot of finessing and most likely, swearing.
I crawled underneath and starting measuring the 2” fibreglass “lip” that runs around the body. Now my thinking is it should be the same all the way around. In some spots the distance was 3” from the underside of the lip to the body edge, in other places 5” or more. This tells me things are out of alignment and the body was probably pulled into to meet the replaced plywood flooring.
Open to thoughts and ideas on this and if anyone feels really adventurous, what is the body edge to underside (lip) measurements on your Boler?
Attached Thumbnails
20200524_140421.jpg   20200524_140402.jpg  

20200508_152857.jpg  

Tags
boler