Shopping for Boler questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 09:32 PM   #1

Name: Kai
Trailer: Shopping
BC
Shopping for Boler questions

Hi there fiberglass community!

We are shopping for a Boler and we've found one 17' that seems to be in great shape overall. The exterior looks pretty mint, the door closes properly and looks quite level. There's a bit of indentation on the other side above the wheel-well but it doesnt look harsh... Our concern is basically the trailer that looks quite rusty underneath. How concerned do you think we should be about this? Also, the floor felt a bit uneven / warped, looking underneath the plywood didn't look moldy or anything but it just looked faded. We haven't tested the axle or anything but it does look to be low-riding a bit, is that normal? Looking for some feedback from the "experts"

p.s. sorry if this isnt the right place to post this.

Much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
20190630_133829.jpg   20190630_133648.jpg  

20190630_133556.jpg   20190630_133817.jpg  

Attached Images

Keezler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:44 PM   #2

Name: Jessica
Trailer: airstream
New Jersey
i would worry more on the rust. is there any workshop near u that can take a better technical look at it? u don't want the gears and stuff to be rusty and running out soon
sassyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
We are currently restoring a Boler 17 and based on that I would say that we have found the problems to be pretty similar to those for our Trillium and Boler 13 (sold).

I agree with your comment that the exterior (body, windows, etc.) look very nice. Low riding is typical. You may want to replace the axle with a straight axle and replace the leaf springs.

Due to the age of the camper, you will probably need to remove and re-seal the windows and other exterior fittings on the sides and roof to eliminate leaks.

Certainly a good idea to check the condition of the frame, brakes, bearings, coupler, chains, and tongue jack. Also the towing lights and the interior electrical, both AC and DC. And have the propane system tested...
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #4

Michigan
Registry
The rusty frame looks about the same condition as ours. We simply tapped all frame surfaces lightly with a hammer to check soundness. Our frame proved to be solid. EDIT: If you have any doubt, have an expert look at the frame.

Our floor is "wavy" near the axle. Thought it was rot, but then peeled off the floor covering. Turned out that it is VERY solid, just damp and warped.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #5

Michigan
Registry
In the photo, notice that the front window rock guard is missing. Securing hardware is visible on the sides of the window frame. Ask owner for the window rock guard...
Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: Kai
Trailer: Shopping
BC
Sounds great, thanks so much for the very detailed response John. I think we'll plan to do another inspection on it. The rust is my biggest concern, but we'll try to have a better look at it. Regarding testing the propane, he's already mentioned a few things don't work ( hot water heater, and he said he's never fried the furnace heater so we're gonna try it all out on our next visit). Thanks!

Kai
Keezler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
The frame on the 1700's are much sturdier than the 1300's. Tapping the frame with a hammer will give you a good idea of the frames wear and tear.
The low riding can be fixed with a straight axle and flipping the leafs on top of the axle. Get the seller to plug in the fridge a day ahead of your arrival to see if it works.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #8

Name: Menno
Trailer: Boler/ trillium/cadet
Alberta
I would not worry about the rust on the frame to much, that is pretty normal, my 2011 rv had a rusty frame, it basically comes from driving in the rain and where it is parked like on grass or gravel where it can get pretty humid.
I would look for cracks in the frame and check out every joint and weld.
Menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:20 AM   #9

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
The pictures look to be surface rust and that isn't much to worry about. The 1700 uses a box tube for the long members and they are pretty sturdy. Look for signs of pitting and cracks otherwise I would say it looks good. If you swap the axle with a straight axle or do a spring seat flip it will give you about 4 inches of height. Mine came with the spring seat flip and it give the camper a nice lift the only bad part is the axle is still down low so if you are concerned with ground clearance for backwoods travel go with a straight axle.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler