Boler Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #1

Name: Sheila
Trailer: boler
North Vancouver
Boler Trailer

I read somewhere that it would be cheaper to source a welder?? or other rather than go to a trailer repair company to check out and possibly repair anything that may be unsafe with our 1976 boler trailer. I can not locate what I read so wondering if anyone knew what the cheaper option would be to a trailer repair company?
Ste11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #2

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Treat this like any job you would undertake to your house or car; since you are not under warranty, seek advice from those in your community as to recommendations and references for a good welder. Although I did not need to have any welding done, I have saved a great amount by avoiding the specialty shops for the work that has been done. One shop had the nerve to quote an estimate of $500 CDN for a job that I got done by an independent for $150.

This forum is here to help us be less reliant on those who see us as dollar signs and easy marks. It is obvious from the many owners doing their own work that there is a pride in doing it ourselves.

Best of luck in finding someone to help you and save you money.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste11a View Post
I read somewhere that it would be cheaper to source a welder?? or other rather than go to a trailer repair company to check out and possibly repair anything that may be unsafe with our 1976 boler trailer. I can not locate what I read so wondering if anyone knew what the cheaper option would be to a trailer repair company?
Are you on Facebook? You want want to contact Gerald Bast. https://www.facebook.com/gerry.bast.12/timeline?lst=1265772104%3A100022722604112%3A158821 6941 He's moving his Boler business from Alberta to Vancouver sometime this summer... virus depending. https://finishedbiz.ca/?fbclid=IwAR3...Y3dP4TPHY-l-uY
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #4

North Vancouver
Awesome. Thanks. I hope he moves here.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #5

North Vancouver
boler elephant skin

I did find a guy on craigslist so Ill ask him if he can do an inspection of my boler trailer. Also I read that one Boler owner suggests to get a welder to weld a strap of stell along the bottom of the frame & tougue where they attach for added safety.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #6

Almonte, Ontario
Perhaps!

The extra strap of steel is probably overkill. If you need the extra strap, then you probably need to think about removing the frame and having it rewelded or replaced since the original frames were well made but 40-odd years will take their toll.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #7

North Vancouver
boler elephant skin

Turns out the craigslist welder does not do inspections..
Old 04-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #8

North Vancouver
Who would you call if you wanted to make sure your trailer was safe to travel? or do the repairs if required. My trailer looks in good shape but I'm not in the business.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #9

Almonte, Ontario
Quote:
Who would you call if you wanted to make sure your trailer was safe to travel? or do the repairs if required. My trailer looks in good shape but I'm not in the business.

Since you are in B.C., I would seek out info on their website related to trailers. [I have a brother-in-law who lives out there and he says that the MOT has a ton of rules but also info about anything that travels.] More than likely they will list inspection stations that might deal with trailers.

Another option would be to somehow jack the trailer up or find a service pit so that you can inspect the frame after giving it a good clean and wire brushing. A major flaw in the frame will show up quickly. Thank goodness the trailer frame is not unibody construction but simple welds. Also do an inspection of all the attachment points between the frame and the trailer body. If there is a problem, there are going to be major stress fractures. Stress fractures are not always indicative of a problem but they will be a starting point.

As for suspension, that is dependent on whether it is torsion or leaf spring. In either case, giving the trailer a good tug on each side will tell you if you have any bounce and should also sound good or bad. If the latter is the case, then you will have to investigate further. Leaf springs are a simple matter to fix if the mounts are good. I dropped my old axle out and replaced it with an axle with brakes in under an two hours and I would rotate it as easy: unbolt the mount bolts; remove axle with springs; unbolt the springs; [in your case] replace the springs and reboot; install the axle with new springs to mounts; et voila.

I’m sure there is someone out there in the forum who can walk you through torsion suspension.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #10

North Vancouver
boler elephant skin

thanks for your help.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Bolers were built light and the frames are no exception. Luckily the frame of my 73 was in good shape but I still got my son who's a welder/fabricator to put what are called "fish plates" along the frame where the known stress points are and also make a couple of changes for strength. But as I said my frame was in good shape. And do I expect it to hold up over extended use on rough gravel or logging roads here on the island? Probably not but that's not where I'm using it.

The fasteners for the shell to frame were another thing. The shell was fastened to the frame with screws (14) of which almost all had rusted out so I decided to pull the frame out from under the shell (surprisingly not super hard - There's a number of good videos on youtube) and have tabs welded to the frame for remounting the shell. .

It was so much easier to check the frame with it out from under the shell and do the required repairs. It also made it easier to replace the axle.

Hope this doesn't scare you off but it is an option and it's really not that difficult if you have room and time to do it (and the comfort level). I got my replacement axle through Pacific Spring and Axle in Langley. They might be able to recommend a welder with trailer experience or company to take on your boler. I just ordered my axle from them but they may do service work there. Don't know.

Here's a link to the work I've been doing on Lita if you're interested. Lots of pics

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ing-87905.html

And by all means stop in and say hi if you're on the island
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler
Our 74 Boler frame cracked twice in different places. It was manufactured at the Peace River factory and they reinforced the frames when they built the trailers. Last year I had Metro Trailer in Winnipeg install one of their frames and axles. Their frames are slightly larger gauge metal. They are bolted to the trailer much more efficiently and they are galvanized. They will ship the frames if you want. You have to order in advance. Not cheap, but good value.
Jim Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Be sure to check out Ian Giles' website. He shows you where the weak points are on a Boler frame and where to look for cracks, rust, and damage. Some older Bolers frames are OK and can be salvaged or repaired. But in many cases, replacing the frame is the best option. Here's a link to Ian's site

https://www.proud-canadian.com/13-bo...eyond-1/boler/
greenghost45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
I am assuming that you have a Boler 1300 (13 foot). As a first step, I would inspect the frame yourself or with a mechanically inclined friend using Ian's guide to where to look for trouble spots. You may find some really obvious problems yourselves. Use a hammer to lightly but briskly tap rusty areas to see if the corrosion is through the steel. Look carefully for cracks and other signs of impending failure.

The other poster makes a good point that the screws through the floor that fasten the trailer to the frame are often badly rusted. The simplest solution is put new self-tapping screws beside the old, rusted ones, which will probably break off when you try to remove them. The next step might be to find a shop that specializes in springs and suspensions to check the axle and the frame, while up on a hoist.

In any case, if you have the original torsion bar axle, you will almost certainly want to replace that. I got my new axle with brakes from Pacific Spring and Axle in Langley, BC in 2015. Best if you take in the old axle so that the new one is correctly sized. Even of you end up replacing the frame in the future, you will be able to use the new axle as it is a separate component from the frame.

As for the Ministry of Transportation rules in BC, don't worry too much about that as long as your lights work and you have safety chains. Boler 1300s are light enough that brakes are not a legal requirement, unless your Boler weighs over 50% the weight of your tow vehicle, which is unlikely. Here's another link on that subject
https://www.rvda.ca/ProvBrakeReqts.asp#BC
Old 05-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Here's another link to a site by Ian Giles with more frame info. He is an excellent source of Boler know-how.

Boler Buyer's Guide - Boler-Camping
Old 05-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
I was told that any repair would require removal of the body from the frame......any thoughts on that
ccuwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #17

Almonte, Ontario
Any major reframe repair would necessitate frame removal to ensure proper welds along the top of the frame. Tacking on gussets and lower frame add-ons, if done properly using shielding between the frame and the trailer, could be done with the trailer still attached. But again it might be simpler to detach the body from the frame, inspect the two parts, do the necessary work, replace corroded bolts and screws and reinstall the body.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #18

North Vancouver
Thank you all. A lot to investigate but I love my boler. Ill keep you posted.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #19

North Vancouver
Thank you. This info really helps!
Old 05-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #20

North Vancouver
Ok thanks for that.