Getting a title in WA state for a tiny 1969 Boler...? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yank View Post
Well, a piece of paper (CA Pink Slip) and trailer in his possession lol.

But without it signed it is not any real good. Now signed it is the key. Even if they didn't put his name on it that can be made to work easily. But without that signature it is not of very much use.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
If your are saying ; sign it ; then you have both forgery and theft....
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #23

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Tarvin,
Let us know what route you have/are taken (ing) and what have the results are. I hope it's positive.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #24

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len S View Post
If your are saying ; sign it ; then you have both forgery and theft....

If you are talking to me, NOPE. But there are people who do and unless it really is stolen it would never be caught. But the conequences of getting caught are very high so NOPE.

Now technically what should happen is that you should find the people who had the title and the person who sold it. Then have them sign it over to the person who sold it to them. Then have him apply for a new title and when he/she gets it sign it over to them. And then they apply for a new title.

But if the people whose name(s) are on the title will directly sign it over to them then that would very technically be illegal. But even if someone caught on there would be almost no consequences. Basically a minor fine. And I am suggesting that this is a pretty good solution if you can get them to do it. Even if it takes a road trip this is what I would do. Of course I also would not have bought it.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
I once had a similar situation with a truck I bought. My advise: tell everyone you talk to as much of the full story as they want to hear. Don't change anything, don't embellish and don't lie. The truth has a ring to it that people will often recognize.

People often forge documents related to vehicle ownership in order to avoid sales tax or other costs/complications. The DMV knows this. If you tell them the truth they may want you to pay the previous owner's registration or sales tax but probably not. Especially since the trailer was not previously instate.

I have found that if you can go to a smaller office and at a time when things are not too busy you will get a bit more consideration. If you go to a big office at 3:00 on a Friday you will get the legal line and nothing more.

Be nice when you talk to people. If you show them your problem and ask them what to do about it, most people will be glad to help. If you go in there like you are "it" you are more likely to be shown that you are not it.

I hope you got a good deal on your new-to-you RV because you are entitled to some compensation for fixing this mess.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:52 PM   #26

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
I hate these threads.

Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:31 PM   #27

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
I hate these threads.

But they do cover an important subject. Titling and transferring of titles for campers is important. Actually that is likely where this started. It is a reasonable guess that the previous titled owner and the previous untitled owner who sold it to this owner neither one knew the proper procedure. And that is likely how this started.

When you sell a titled vehicle you are supposed to sign the title and list the new owner and some other information. Unless they are a dealer they are supposed to apply for a new title even if they plan to immediately sell it. Yeah that is so the government can make sure they get their money. :-( Then when they sell it they are supposed to do the same thing. But people don't do it that way. And that then causes problems.

Probably what happened here is that the titled owner probably thought that it they turned over possession and at the same time gave the person the unsigned title that was what was needed. The buyer didn't know the difference. Then probably he found out and found out that it might be a problem so pawned the problem off on somebody else.

But I am only guessing here.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:42 AM   #28

Name: Barb and Gene
Trailer: Casita
Washington State
Registry
Send a message via ICQ to BarbB863
Go to Western Auto (A licensing agent) in Parkland and talk to them. They can tell you what you have to do. It is on Garfield just off of Pacific Ave. They have helped us with title issues before and they know what they are doing.. Good luck from another Tacoma Washington member... Barb
BarbB863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #29

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
"You are not able to sell or transfer the trailer during this time."
WRONG.... you can sell and transfer title BUT the new buyer/owner then assumes the risk for the balance of the wait time.

Only if the new buyer wants to be in the same boat as our current buyer. Can't sell if no one will buy. And, as our OP has found out, no one should buy under these circumstances.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, title