New axle for 1989 16' Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft
New axle for 1989 16' Casita

Would I have to purchase a new axle from Casita or could a local shop take care of installing an appropriate axle to fit?
Linn Rudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We had to replace a bent axle on our 2009 FD when it was about 2 years old. Fortunately it was covered by insurance. An area RV body shop that had already completed tge fiberglass repair did the replacement, ordering the axle directly from Dexter, as I recall. It took them 3 tries to get the right axle (high lift). We also have a trailer repair place in the area that replaced the axle on my utility trailer.

These are north and south of Seattle. There may be similar shops in your area.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Those Dexter Torque-Flex 3,500# axles are available at thousands of dealers all over the country. Pretty much most shops that sell and service trailers would be able to put a new axle under your trailer. Axle replacements are quite common. As a suggestion, I would look first at a dealer who sells horse and work type trailers rather than an "RV shop." You'd probably get a better installation and it would probably also be cheaper. Just my 2 cents.
For your Casita you'll want these specs:

65.5" hub face to hub face, (the outermost points of the wheel brake drums from one side to the other.)
51" outside to outside bracket spacing, (where the brackets actually attach the axle to the bottom of the trailer frame.)
5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, (5 lug nuts on a 4.5" lug spacing pattern for your current wheels.)
Electric brakes
Camber
EZ-Lube bearing hubs
High Rise axle, with the torsion arms set at 10 degrees down angle
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft
That was really great advise!
Linn Rudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #5

Name: TD
Trailer: Casita and an ORV 22FQS
California
Casita Greg,

Are the specs you posted for a 17' or 16' Casita?

Thanks.
tdhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:44 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16
Nevada
Just replaced my axle on 1989 Casita

See the post in the link below for my experience on replacing a leading arm axle with a new Dexter 3500# trailing axle.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post789031
kukaepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:35 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Linn...i've ordered parts & stuff directly from dexter. they were good to deal with. one thing i'll bring up is that older casitas were delivered with the axle welded to the frame. the newer versions switched to a bolt on arrangement. you might want to consider that change. i'm not sure where you might purchase the required axel attachment tabs but those could be easily fabricated at a machine shop. a lot of folks have done this upgrade and documented the project. try checking the casita travel trailer forum and searching here. perhaps someone with more knowledge that i will chime in with suggestions...

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, casita