Play Pac propane heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Play Pac propane heater

Hi guys and gals.....
We are at it again and are trying to get the propane heater to work. The hubs replaced all the tubing and we can hear and smell the gas coming thru, but it doesnt seem to want to catch. We thought we knew where the pilot was but maybe we are wrong. Anyone have any experience with the orginal propane heater?
Thanks as always......
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Need a little more info- pics of the heater face would be real helpful, too...

Heaters in these trailers aren't necessarily related to the trailer brand- lots used the same ones.

What's the heater brand/model number? Does it have an electric fan, or is it one of the old "gravity" heaters?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Gas is most dangerous to mess with. If it were me, I would remove the heater and work on it outside so that way the explosion will be smaller than it will be inside a camper.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Play Pac
I ditched my heater so I could have the extra storage space (wasn't working anyway). If I'm plugged in somewhere I'd rather use a tiny electric heater as its been my experience that I use a big bottle of propane in only a couple days.
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: Play Pac Hitch Hut
Tennessee
40 year old propane heaters do not have the safety features that newer models have.
You would be safer to update or go electric.
Pw
Paul west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Hey Heather,
I agree with Paul W. We haven't even tried our furnace yet since our week in Yosemite during the summer had us begging for AC! I also have the Heater Buddy or whatever it's called which we got with our first Play Pac that already had the furnace removed. Since I have that I haven't really done much but I'd be sure to get it inspected by a pro. I have done fiberglass and plumbing in these things but the one thing I do not mess with is propane. A water leak I can live with but after one of our good friends here lost his beloved Burro to a propane leak/fire (luckily no one was harmed) - i decided its best to go with a professional inspection. Good luck!
- Paul c.
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Good grief.

It's just a heater, folks- it's not a Nuclear Bomb.

Heather:

There's no reason that your heater won't function exactly as designed without threatening Life and Limb. But if you want our help to make it do so, we need just a lit-tle more information. (see above questions)

Yours truly,

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: Play Pac Hitch Hut
Tennessee
I am not anti propane heater. If you want to repair your unit here are some reasons they won't stay lit. Thermocouple. If the thermocouple is defective the pilot won't stay lit. Easy fix. Generic thermocouples are easily available.
If the unit is not getting propane, valve may be sticking or defective. Orifices that provide atmospheric pressure for the regulator diaphragm may be plugged. Mud dobbers love to do this. It takes some time for the propane to make its way from the regulator to the gas valve. Check to make sure there are no plugs in the lines. You can remove the line at the valve and at the junction where the propane tank is connected and using a compressor make sure it is clear. A pressure check at the gas valve will determine if the pressure is correct for your unit. I have seen propane tanks that have been overfilled to the point where liquid was delivered to the valve instead of vapor. ( propane is a liquid and is converted into a vapor as it is dispensed.) The propane bottle is designed to be partially empty to achieve this. Make sure the bottle is vertical for the above reasons. I used propane in my business for years and was a licensed user.
I had my own 500 gallon fill station in my yard. All of the "bugs" I mentioned have happened to me, including overfill. I never once had an explosion using propane inside many buildings. It is completely safe if handled properly, and dangerous if not. Do it yourself repairs can be done if you are knowledgeable and have the necessary skill.
Pw
Paul west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #9

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Wow, thanks for all the info!! I do have a friend that works on gas heaters he is gonna take a look for me!
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
play–pac, propane