New to me 2017 Casita Independence - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
New to me 2017 Casita Independence - Did I overbuy?

I brought home this 2017 Casita to keep my 1992 13' Scamp company.
I bought the 13' Scamp a couple of years ago on impulse. I wanted a fiberglass trailer and didn't know what I wanted or needed. I had to buy something to get a feel for what was most important.

Turns out the 13' does everything I need it to do when camping in campgrounds which is why I'm keeping it, plus it's sentimental.

It can probably be said this 17' Casita was an impulse buy as well. I just started thinking that for some trips it might be nice to be able to boondock and have a shower/toilet. I started looking at Scamps and Casitas with bathrooms. I ran across this one here in the classifieds. I think I overbought, but many of the add-ons are items one might purchase anyway right?

Taken from the sales ad: (I figured it had everything I'd need for boon docking plus some.)

ROOF TOP SOLAR SYSTEM:

-2-100 Watt Renogy Eclipse Solar Panels (roof mounted).

-Bogart Trimetric Battery Monitor and Bogart 30AMP Solar Controller.

-Samlex 2000 Watt Pure Sine wave Inverter with remote.

-Two Lifeline GPL-6CT 6 Volt, 300 Amp Hour Deep Cycle AGM batteries.

-PD4655V 55 Amp 4 stage smart charger/Converter Upgrade, with the Optional Remote Pendant.

FACTORY TRAILER OPTIONS:

-This Casita Independence allows a couple to enjoy the convenience of two twin beds that easily convert to a KING bed. Allows for easy access to the kitchen & bathroom without disturbing the other person.

-The spacious beds allow for more under bed storage with ease of access compared to other Casita’s.

-Three large fully-openable screened picture windows provide extra cross ventilation, ample natural lighting and scenic wrap-around viewing.

-Deluxe model features spacious shower and toilet.

-Mach 1 air conditioner with heat strip was chosen for reliability and low noise.

-Gas furnace.

-Fiamma Awning.

-Upgraded 25 gallon fresh water tank.

-Fantastic Fan and Max Air cover in living area.

-Vinyl flooring.

-3-way Refrigerator 4.0 cu ft.

-3-Burner Range with Power Vented Hood.

-All interior and exterior lights are factory installed LED.

-Extra factory installed 12-volt outlets next to beds.

-Storage cabinet is wired for microwave; new stainless microwave included.

-High lift axle with 15 inch tires, spare, cover and wheel locks.

-Spare was not mounted to the Casita, uses a custom Orbital aftermarket bracket.

-Outside Shower/Wash Station

-Electric Tongue Jack

-Cable Ready

-Two Corner Shelves.

-Custom ordered with no “Casita" Decals.

AFTERMARKET CUSTOM UPGRADES:

-Two custom retro designed tables.

-Custom designed retro corner shelves.

-Custom Tempurpedic Memory Foam Twin Mattresses that convert to King bed.

-Custom retro designed upholstery and curtains.

-Digital thermostat upgrade controls A/C and heat just like your house.

-24” Samsung HD TV.

-Exterior porch light controlled from inside.

-Upgraded metal high rise sink faucet.

-Custom fold-down work/kitchen space.

-Custom closet shelves installed.

-Orbital Machine Works (OMW) Spare Tire Mount.

-Onboard Honda 2000 generator.

-Anderson anti-sway control and weight distribution hitch.

-Heavy duty scissor jacks on all four corners for leveling and stability.

-Custom PVC compartment for easy sewer hose storage.

-2” rear receiver hitch for rear storage or bike racks.

-Teak shower floor.

-All cabinets upgraded to custom light weight solid Poplar wood and custom painted (paint booth sprayed) retro teal with Behr Premium professional paint.

-All new Retro door hardware

-Orbital Machine Works shock absorber Kit. Produces a much smoother ride. It reduces broken rivets, cushions on the floor and open cabinet doors on very rough roads.

-Orbital Machine Works generator platform and LoPro generator lock down system for included Honda Generator.

-Little House Customs installed Fast Gray Modification, increases your capacity and dump speed by allowing you to dump previously trapped gray water.

-Little House Customs installed Vent upgrade, increases capacity by 8 gallons and improves dump speed.

-Little House Customs installed toilet supply shutoff valve.

-Little House Customs installed Max Air Vent Cover, allows you to keep your vent open in the rain. It also allows ventilation while in storage.

-Little House Customs installed BAL 7500lbs SCISSOR jacks. Strong enough to lift the Casita to change a flat.

-Little House Customs installed Hitch mounted spare tire mount.

-Little House Customs installed Furnace Insect Screen and Water Heater Insect Screen

-Little House Customs installed screen door push bar, gives something to wrap your entire hand around when unlatching the door in a strong wind.

-Little House Customs installed Lighted Water Pump and Lighted Water Heater switches. Leaves no doubt as to what is turned on and running.

-Little House Customs installed 2-way porch light, turns porch light on or off from either the inside or the outside. No need to open the door to turn the light on.

-Little House Customs installed Custom RV Widget Storage modules.

-Brand new spare bearings and anode.

-Bargman amber porch light lens.

-Coiled break away cable.

-Rhinoflex sewer hose.

-Spare rivet kit.

-Shore power rubber bug guard.

-Sneaky Pete Gray Water sewer adapter.

Ad can be seen here:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-gypsy”-sale-0

Inside photo from the ad:
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #2

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Very nice!
Can't wait to hear about your adventures with this Casita
Old 11-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #3

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyNorthFL View Post
Very nice!
Can't wait to hear about your adventures with this Casita
Thank you!
Old 11-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Overbought? Absolutely not! That's a spectacular trailer, and I have no doubt you'll find a good use for all the upgrades. When you take it to the beach, you won't have to pay for the pricey hook-up sites any more. With the large batteries, solar, and inverter, you can run everything you've got except A/C, which you don't normally need at the beach anyway. I love the translucent bathroom door and the cabinet doors!

Congratulations!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #5

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Overbought? Absolutely not! That's a spectacular trailer, and I have no doubt you'll find a good use for all the upgrades. When you take it to the beach, you won't have to pay for the pricey hook-up sites any more. With the large batteries, solar, and inverter, you can run everything you've got except A/C, which you don't normally need at the beach anyway. I love the translucent bathroom door and the cabinet doors!

Congratulations!
Thank you Jon! It just seems so fully loaded compared to my beloved Scamp. It's kind of hard to get used to. The first time I say, "no electricity needed" at a campground it will certainly feel good not to mention easy on my wallet.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
I brought home this 2017 Casita to keep my 1992 13' Scamp company.
I bought the 13' Scamp a couple of years ago on impulse. I wanted a fiberglass trailer and didn't know what I wanted or needed. I had to buy something to get a feel for what was most important.

Turns out the 13' does everything I need it to do when camping in campgrounds which is why I'm keeping it, plus it's sentimental.

It can probably be said this 17' Casita was an impulse buy as well. I just started thinking that for some trips it might be nice to be able to boondock and have a shower/toilet. I started looking at Scamps and Casitas with bathrooms. I ran across this one here in the classifieds. I think I overbought, but many of the add-ons are items one might purchase anyway right?

Taken from the sales ad: (I figured it had everything I'd need for boon docking plus some.)

ROOF TOP SOLAR SYSTEM:

-2-100 Watt Renogy Eclipse Solar Panels (roof mounted).

-Bogart Trimetric Battery Monitor and Bogart 30AMP Solar Controller.

-Samlex 2000 Watt Pure Sine wave Inverter with remote.

-Two Lifeline GPL-6CT 6 Volt, 300 Amp Hour Deep Cycle AGM batteries.

-PD4655V 55 Amp 4 stage smart charger/Converter Upgrade, with the Optional Remote Pendant.

FACTORY TRAILER OPTIONS:

-This Casita Independence allows a couple to enjoy the convenience of two twin beds that easily convert to a KING bed. Allows for easy access to the kitchen & bathroom without disturbing the other person.

-The spacious beds allow for more under bed storage with ease of access compared to other Casita’s.

-Three large fully-openable screened picture windows provide extra cross ventilation, ample natural lighting and scenic wrap-around viewing.

-Deluxe model features spacious shower and toilet.

-Mach 1 air conditioner with heat strip was chosen for reliability and low noise.

-Gas furnace.

-Fiamma Awning.

-Upgraded 25 gallon fresh water tank.

-Fantastic Fan and Max Air cover in living area.

-Vinyl flooring.

-3-way Refrigerator 4.0 cu ft.

-3-Burner Range with Power Vented Hood.

-All interior and exterior lights are factory installed LED.

-Extra factory installed 12-volt outlets next to beds.

-Storage cabinet is wired for microwave; new stainless microwave included.

-High lift axle with 15 inch tires, spare, cover and wheel locks.

-Spare was not mounted to the Casita, uses a custom Orbital aftermarket bracket.

-Outside Shower/Wash Station

-Electric Tongue Jack

-Cable Ready

-Two Corner Shelves.

-Custom ordered with no “Casita" Decals.

AFTERMARKET CUSTOM UPGRADES:

-Two custom retro designed tables.

-Custom designed retro corner shelves.

-Custom Tempurpedic Memory Foam Twin Mattresses that convert to King bed.

-Custom retro designed upholstery and curtains.

-Digital thermostat upgrade controls A/C and heat just like your house.

-24” Samsung HD TV.

-Exterior porch light controlled from inside.

-Upgraded metal high rise sink faucet.

-Custom fold-down work/kitchen space.

-Custom closet shelves installed.

-Orbital Machine Works (OMW) Spare Tire Mount.

-Onboard Honda 2000 generator.

-Anderson anti-sway control and weight distribution hitch.

-Heavy duty scissor jacks on all four corners for leveling and stability.

-Custom PVC compartment for easy sewer hose storage.

-2” rear receiver hitch for rear storage or bike racks.

-Teak shower floor.

-All cabinets upgraded to custom light weight solid Poplar wood and custom painted (paint booth sprayed) retro teal with Behr Premium professional paint.

-All new Retro door hardware

-Orbital Machine Works shock absorber Kit. Produces a much smoother ride. It reduces broken rivets, cushions on the floor and open cabinet doors on very rough roads.

-Orbital Machine Works generator platform and LoPro generator lock down system for included Honda Generator.

-Little House Customs installed Fast Gray Modification, increases your capacity and dump speed by allowing you to dump previously trapped gray water.

-Little House Customs installed Vent upgrade, increases capacity by 8 gallons and improves dump speed.

-Little House Customs installed toilet supply shutoff valve.

-Little House Customs installed Max Air Vent Cover, allows you to keep your vent open in the rain. It also allows ventilation while in storage.

-Little House Customs installed BAL 7500lbs SCISSOR jacks. Strong enough to lift the Casita to change a flat.

-Little House Customs installed Hitch mounted spare tire mount.

-Little House Customs installed Furnace Insect Screen and Water Heater Insect Screen

-Little House Customs installed screen door push bar, gives something to wrap your entire hand around when unlatching the door in a strong wind.

-Little House Customs installed Lighted Water Pump and Lighted Water Heater switches. Leaves no doubt as to what is turned on and running.

-Little House Customs installed 2-way porch light, turns porch light on or off from either the inside or the outside. No need to open the door to turn the light on.

-Little House Customs installed Custom RV Widget Storage modules.

-Brand new spare bearings and anode.

-Bargman amber porch light lens.

-Coiled break away cable.

-Rhinoflex sewer hose.

-Spare rivet kit.

-Shore power rubber bug guard.

-Sneaky Pete Gray Water sewer adapter.

Ad can be seen here:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-gypsy”-sale-0

Inside photo from the ad:
About as nice as a fiberglass you could get. I like the cool things in it. Our Casita does not have a 3 burner stove which I didn't know you could get. All the other upgrades would be wonderful to have. This is a trailer you can take all over the country for long trips and be comfy. Congrats!
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #7

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
About as nice as a fiberglass you could get. I like the cool things in it. Our Casita does not have a 3 burner stove which I didn't know you could get. All the other upgrades would be wonderful to have. This is a trailer you can take all over the country for long trips and be comfy. Congrats!
Thank you for the kind words! I'm new to the Casita world and regarding the 3 burner stove, I think it comes standard in the Independence and the Liberty. Hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #8

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Wow, what a nice trailer. I haven't spent much time browsing Casita ads because they don't sleep 4, but this is surely the nicest one I've ever seen. Its beautiful.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #9

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
Wow, what a nice trailer. I haven't spent much time browsing Casita ads because they don't sleep 4, but this is surely the nicest one I've ever seen. Its beautiful.
Thank you, it was certainly a labor of love for the former owner.
I am enjoying all the hard work he put into making the customizations.
Former owner needed a bigger trailer, otherwise I don't think this would have come up for sale.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #10

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Indy?

Nice mods. WE recently sold our 2018 Indy..for family reasons..we have a buncha new grandkids and there was zero room for more than 2 of us..Cassy was a good trailer to be our start-up but things do change and we are awaiting our E21 . The wife is not really gong to miss having no real kitchen counter room. Good camping!!
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #11

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Nice mods. WE recently sold our 2018 Indy..for family reasons..we have a buncha new grandkids and there was zero room for more than 2 of us..Cassy was a good trailer to be our start-up but things do change and we are awaiting our E21 . The wife is not really gong to miss having no real kitchen counter room. Good camping!!
I agree these are great for 2 people. I have seen the Escape 21 and they are nice and roomy, you'll love it as will the grandkids, enjoy!
Old 11-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #12

California
Registry
Former owner took this cool photo the day I was coming to pick it up.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #13

California
Registry
Recently returned from our maiden voyage in the Casita Independence.

Took a 7 day trip to Dolores, Colorado. Here are my thoughts:

On the first night we had the beds in the twin configuration, but with a 90 pound dog this proved to be a bit uncomfortable for him and us...so we went with the king size configuration for the rest of the trip and all was good, surprisingly good, there was so much room!

While driving to the destination we found that quite a few fast food places didn't have their dining areas open which meant no restroom break, we were so happy to have the restroom in the Casita for just this scenario.

The 6 gallon hot water heater is the bees knees! Even though the campground had wonderfully clean showers, after day one I opted to take my shower in the Casita.

Enjoyed the electric jack, it's a luxury item, but it was nice to have.

We didn't use the propane heater although it did get cold a couple of nights, it felt as though the Casita was well insulated.

We didn't use the gas stove, but did use the microwave more often than I thought we would.

We enjoyed the large sized refrigerator, but for some reason I would like it to open from the other direction.

All in all, a wonderful trip and I look forward to more!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 9.21.41 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 9.36.26 AM.jpg  

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 9.40.18 AM.jpg  
Old 07-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
We enjoyed the large sized refrigerator, but for some reason I would like it to open from the other direction.

All in all, a wonderful trip and I look forward to more!
Sounds like a fun trip! Casita sells a lot more Spirit and Freedom trailers with the galley aft of the fridge. Wonder if that might explain the fridge orientation...

Thanks for the update!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #15

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Perhaps you can flip the door on the fridge. I know this is an option on many, but not all regular house fridges. The drill both sides so you can flip the hinges and the handles.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #16

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sounds like a fun trip! Casita sells a lot more Spirit and Freedom trailers with the galley aft of the fridge. Wonder if that might explain the fridge orientation...
That does make sense. This fridge opens to the bed. I'd much rather it open to the stove and entry area.
Probably not a big deal since the space is small anyways....but just something I noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
Perhaps you can flip the door on the fridge. I know this is an option on many, but not all regular house fridges. The drill both sides so you can flip the hinges and the handles.
I will look to see if flipping the hinges is possible.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #17

California
Registry
Just to update the hinge flipping possibility, I did find out it is possible.

I also found out that the top hinge is prone to breaking, so I bought a hinge reinforcing piece from Little House Customs and since it is made for hinges on the left, I will keep it that way and reinforce the hinge.

I decided a strong hinge is more important than hinge orientation.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Montana
Nice Casita!

Hello - what a great casita! I have a very similar ones with many of the same aftermarket mods and appreciated all of them. I think you will enjoy yours as well. Reason Im posting is the one mod I don't have and am looking for is the Orbital Machine works propane tank cover/box with generator mount (its not being made by Orbital anymore). If you find you don't like or don't use yours or it makes the tongue too heavy for your tow vehicle drop me a note. Id buy it at top dollar including (or not) the generator.

Have fun camping!

Mike
mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #19

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike375 View Post
If you find you don't like or don't use yours or it makes the tongue too heavy for your tow vehicle drop me a note.
I'll keep your message in mind, though at this time it is a keeper, but things do change.

I saw this video of an alternative one, you've probably seen it, but thought I'd show it just in case.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Montana
Aprreciate the response. If I was you, I wouldn't sell it either. I bought the Stromberg unit and it is solid but it doesn't have the clean looks of the orbital. They make great stuff, just too bad They don't know how to (evidently) run a business. Keep me in mind if you change your mind. (mike.schoby@outdoorsg.com if you decide to sell)

THANKS
mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita