Composting Toilet for Casita Spirit Deluxe - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #81

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
C-head does sell an optional kit for plumbing to an alternate urine system. The EUD (External Urine Diverter) and the BEX (bottom exit kit) make plumbing to an outside urine tank or drain a fairly simple process.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #82

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Since at least one person has gotten a factory toilet delete, it is all the more puzzling. It does sometimes depend on who you talk to at Scamp. No special modification is required. It’s a matter of not cutting the hole for the black tank drain through the shower pan and floor.

The work is in patching the hole if you do a post-purchase changeover to a separating toilet.

I have always had great service and communication with scamp. I am wondering what happened to. I have as you can see in my profile an old scamp. And I have been repairing some needed things and a lot of updating it to make it better. As long as I was patient and worked with them on their schedule I have gotten totally great support for my already sold and in the field and out of any concept of warranty unit. I had to wait for a couple weeks for one set of support, but one of their service guys waited till they were putting a part in one of the units that I was going to have to service and that had not changed much since the original. And then he actually sent me several pictures of the various stages of installing the part. That let me pull the old one out easily and put a new one back. So that just doesn't sound like what happened to that guy.

I love my scamp. There are some things I would do differently. Some of which they already do differently in the new ones ;-) BUT there is nothing that I would do differently regarding their service and support.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #83

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
It is always fun to see how little people can follow a simple request

Hi. I installed a composting toilet and its great. I use the fan 24/7 and its draw on the battery is very low. The one trick is to figure out what medium to use. My first go was the coco core. I think i used too much and it prevented the nature head to mix completely towards the end. However the wife and i used it 30 days last yr before needing to change it out. The urine needs emptying every other day. She used toilet paper in it, i put my used paper in a doggie poop bag. I went with a nature head, You could plumb your urine into your black tank if you like. In the casita you way need a stool to put your feet on. No pun intended

Remember urine is sterile.

Why people have to pipe in with their opinions when someone is asking for simple advise about a specific subject i will never understand. Please note, folks dont really care what your opinion is. If you cant help answer the question. Dont respond
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #84

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaken2157 View Post
Hi. I installed a composting toilet and its great. I use the fan 24/7 and its draw on the battery is very low. The one trick is to figure out what medium to use. My first go was the coco core. I think i used too much and it prevented the nature head to mix completely towards the end. However the wife and i used it 30 days last yr before needing to change it out. The urine needs emptying every other day. She used toilet paper in it, i put my used paper in a doggie poop bag. I went with a nature head, You could plumb your urine into your black tank if you like. In the casita you way need a stool to put your feet on. No pun intended

Remember urine is sterile.

Why people have to pipe in with their opinions when someone is asking for simple advise about a specific subject i will never understand. Please note, folks dont really care what your opinion is. If you cant help answer the question. Dont respond

Mostly urine is sterile FOR YOU. and that is when it is fresh. And if you have in infection all bets are off. It is a biohazard for everyone including you. But yes an old mountain survival trick is that a wound can mostly be cleaned using the urine from a person. But not the urine from someone else. Not sure how all this works and never want to find out. But you still need to dispose if it properly. And most of the people who use these also follow the crowd and not the proper rules.

As has been pointed out here several times the solid material must be composted for at least a year before it can be disposed of as normal waste. And the liquids have to be disposed of so they will not be in contact with people until nature can fully deal with them. Tossing either one in the trash, which seems to be the goto solution, is just plain wrong. There is the one guy here who is actually taking it all home and then placing it in a system to dispose of it properly. Coming up with the proper disposal method is a big part of what is being proposed here. Before doing that you want to have the disposal plan.

And as I said just putting it in the trash is not a plan.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #85

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Coming up with the proper disposal method is a big part of what is being proposed here. Before doing that you want to have the disposal plan.

And as I said just putting it in the trash is not a plan.

There is a plan. It's called a sani-dump. The black tank contents are easily disposed and then processed through primary and secondary septic systems.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #86

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
There is a plan. It's called a sani-dump. The black tank contents are easily disposed and then processed through primary and secondary septic systems.
Sorry Glenn , your plan will never work , it’s too simple and not high tech enough for the devout conservationist crowd.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #87

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Composting Toilet for Casita Spirit Deluxe

That’s the same argument used against every innovation from indoor toilets in homes to hybrid vehicles and smart phones. It is true that many attempts to improve existing technology fail and even those that succeed often lead to unintended negative consequences. Composting toilets (or separating toilets, which is a more accurate description) may fall into that category. I prefer to watch and wait.

Nay-saying everything does improve your odds of being able to say “I told you so”...

I don’t find conventional black tank RV toilets all that simple or convenient, especially if you dry camp. Lots of water and plumbing required, adding leak points and maintenance to trailer ownership, as well as long lines and fees at dump stations. Small trailers have small black tanks.

I read an interesting article that attempted to compare all the environmental impacts of both types of toilets. One of the trouble spots for separating toilets is the desiccating media. Peat is non-renewable and coir involves water-intensive processing. Both require long-distance transportation.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #88

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Cassette toilets solve the worst problems of each type. No stinky hose, big pipes hanging under trailer, no urine bottle or storage of dry waste. Can be emptied at a dump site, toilet or a hole you dig when boondocking. I know all the arguments against them. I find them to be clean and easy. A port a potty would be the next best thing but with a cassette the waste is never inside.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #89

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
To be fair to Scamp, they sell all they can build. If you want a 13' it's Scamp or pay half again as much for the boutique brands. I can see that leaving out a toilet might require extra fiberglass work, maybe other delays and aggravations.
And worth the wait (a whole year from down payment to delivery) and I love, love, love my Scamp. But their production folks know how to do things one way and one way only and that's why they try not to allow custom orders.

I've fixed it all and very much enjoy the ease of use for a Dry Flush toilet I installed after ripping out the conventional one and all its parts, so all is well in the end. Anyone in NC want a Scamp toilet?
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:16 PM   #90

Trailer: Casita
MN
I recommend it . I have a 2016 Independence which I bought used a year ago and one of the first things I did was remove the existing toilet and install a Nature's Head. If interested I can provide pictures and how I did it. One additional thing I did was to remove the urine bottle and install a hose from it to the vent pipe which goes to the black water tank.
slsventek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:47 PM   #91

Name: Stephen
Tennessee
I appreciate knowing you like the Casita/Nature's head combination. I went one step further and converted the black water tank to fresh.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #92

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsventek View Post
I recommend it . I have a 2016 Independence which I bought used a year ago and one of the first things I did was remove the existing toilet and install a Nature's Head. If interested I can provide pictures and how I did it. One additional thing I did was to remove the urine bottle and install a hose from it to the vent pipe which goes to the black water tank.
I would love to see pictures of your installation. I made a mess of my first attempt at mounting the Nature's Head. So for my camping trip, the Nature's Head sat in the shower well and I used it with the door open and legs through the door.

My big problem is the contour of the fiberglass base from the old toilet. My thought is to put rubber feet on the corners of the Nature's Head so it sits evenly over the fiberglass contour. Then fabricate my own bracket to secure the Nature's Head in place using the original bolts for mounting the flush toilet. My goal is to avoid additional holes in the fiberglass structure.

I plan to drill a very small hole in the base of the light to access 12VDC for the Nature's Head fan. Then run the wiring down the shower wall using 1/2 round white rubber or plastic electrical channel.

I don't know if the black tank vent plumbing is standard PVC pipe or if they are using a special thin wall pipe. I was hoping I could install a PVC T-section in the black tank vent piping in which to connect the Nature's Head vent hose. I would be interested in how you approached that part of the installation. Even without the fan wired and running and no exhaust hose connected, I have not had a problem with any odors so far.

For composting material, I used one block of coconut coir. Works well.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #93

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
My big problem is the contour of the fiberglass base from the old toilet.
Hop on YouTube and look up how to make a foam male plug. Make an epoxy/fiberglass subbase fitted to the old contour and the new base. You should be able to make it both functional and good looking with little effort and even less cost.

Given that the toilet is made of polyethylene, you can even set that directly on your subbase while it is still green and mold the fiberglass/filler/epoxy directly to it, which will make it a very secure mounting. Make sure to wax the toilet base with mold release just in case.... :-)
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #94

MN
Here's my first attempt at attaching pictures. I'll explain my procedure and parts I used if this works.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200722_120121550.jpg   IMG_20200722_121235098.jpg  

IMG_20200722_120137855.jpg   IMG_20200722_120218790.jpg  

IMG_20200722_120245510.jpg   IMG_20200722_120530776.jpg  

IMG_20200722_120450568.jpg   IMG_20200722_120405097.jpg  

Old 07-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #95

MN
Ok it worked. After removing the original toilet place the Nature's Head in position so that you can get the lid to open completely. I then used a dry marker to outline the base on the fiberglass floor. You want the toilet's vent pipe to line up with the black water vent pipe.
Pictures are worth a thousand words (ha ha), but maybe a few additional words will help.

2nd picture shows how I covered the hole and got the floor level. I cut a 3/8th in thick piece of plywood which I painted to seal it, the size of the base of the Nature's Head. I then cut a hole in it just large enough to go around the flange or raised area. I then cut 2 pieces of rubber which you could use something like from a old car inner tube, just so it's flexible. This I butted together centered over the hole, this provides a way to reach into the hole to be able to hold the nuts which are used to fasten the board down. When drilling the 4 holes through the board and fiberglass floor be sure to position them so if you decide to put the original toilet back in it's base will cover the holes. I used stainless steel bolts with counter sunk flat heads and ss nylon lock nuts. After tightening the board down you can use some type of rubberized tape to seal the hole.
When mounting the Nature's Head mounting brackets proceed as normal making sure to position them inward so they are screwed to the board only, not into the fiberglass (short fat screws.
The vent when cut to accept the "T" pipe will flex enough to accept the "T" if cut a little larger than what would be normal. The "T" can be slid up or down a little each way to position it parallel with the toilet's vent. No need to glue it, it's not going anywhere once hooked up. You can see I used a rubber boot from a flexible pipe coupling.
Have to leave now, but am posting this with more to come.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #96

MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsventek View Post
Ok it worked. After removing the original toilet place the Nature's Head in position so that you can get the lid to open completely. I then used a dry marker to outline the base on the fiberglass floor. You want the toilet's vent pipe to line up with the black water vent pipe.
Pictures are worth a thousand words (ha ha), but maybe a few additional words will help.

2nd picture shows how I covered the hole and got the floor level. I cut a 3/8th in thick piece of plywood which I painted to seal it, the size of the base of the Nature's Head. I then cut a hole in it just large enough to go around the flange or raised area. I then cut 2 pieces of rubber which you could use something like from a old car inner tube, just so it's flexible. This I butted together centered over the hole, this provides a way to reach into the hole to be able to hold the nuts which are used to fasten the board down. When drilling the 4 holes through the board and fiberglass floor be sure to position them so if you decide to put the original toilet back in it's base will cover the holes. I used stainless steel bolts with counter sunk flat heads and ss nylon lock nuts. After tightening the board down you can use some type of rubberized tape to seal the hole.
When mounting the Nature's Head mounting brackets proceed as normal making sure to position them inward so they are screwed to the board only, not into the fiberglass (short fat screws.
The vent when cut to accept the "T" pipe will flex enough to accept the "T" if cut a little larger than what would be normal. The "T" can be slid up or down a little each way to position it parallel with the toilet's vent. No need to glue it, it's not going anywhere once hooked up. You can see I used a rubber boot from a flexible pipe coupling.
Have to leave now, but am posting this with more to come.
Nature's Head install cont.
Pictures 4 & 5 show the black washing machine hose I used to connect to the urine drain on the toilet. I first drilled a hole at a slight downward angle in the vent pipe that was a little bit smaller than the threads on the brass male pipe thread to male hose thread fitting. Just using hand force without threading the vent the brass fitting screwed right in.
on the toilets outlet I hand screwed on a 1 inch female to female pipe thread pvc fitting, again without threading. In both cases the fittings created their own threads. On the toilet pvc fitting I added a plastic fitting with male pipe threads and male hose threads to go into the pvc fitting. On the hose threaded end I connected the two parts of a hose quick disconnect (brass or plastic will work) this comes in very handy when I empty the toilet which I take outside to do. The black appliance hose I used is a little long, but I wanted the loop to help prevent any smell coming from the black tank.
Lastly you can see the 1/2 inch board in front of the toilet which is fastened to the board covering the original toilet hole with 2 small screws and has a spacer board for support on the front edge.
Understand you will not be able to put your feet on the floor when sitting on the toilet (thus the board in front of the toilet) and men and boys must sit for both #1 and #2 on a Nature's Head.
Only one problem encountered so far and totally my fault, when putting the cocoa coir in one time I accidentally spilled some into the urine holes causing the hose to plug up which then caused the you know what to back up into the composting tank which ended up requiring a very soggy sloppy clean out job. Learned a lesson the hard way, cover urine holes or be very careful when adding coir.
We're happy with the Nature's Head, we've used it for 2 years in our previous Jayco TT and now 1 year in our Casita. It takes getting used to, but we feel the benefits, less fresh water usage, less chance of filling the black water tank when boondocking, no toilet flushing pump noise during nightly visits outweigh any negatives, toilet paper for women urinating should be disposed of in a separate container which we have next to the toilet.
Don't worry about smell, with the fan there is none.
That reminds me connecting the fan to the bathroom light will work, but what I did was run the fan wire thru the wall where the pipe for the original toilet pipe goes thru. this comes out under the kitchen cabinet where you can connect it to a couple of 12 volt wires.
Alright, that's it. If something is not clear ask away. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:38 AM   #97

Name: Alexandra
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Texas
Do you think the natures head spider handle (for your. Foot) would fit in this position or would it hit the wall?
NomadwithaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:29 AM   #98

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Nature's Head Spider Handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadwithaDog View Post
Do you think the natures head spider handle (for your. Foot) would fit in this position or would it hit the wall?
I have the Nature's Head in my Casita 17' SD. I am using the spider handle without any problems. I am not sure of your reference to "for your foot". The spider handle is meant to be hand operated. I think you would find trying to rotate the spider handle with the foot awkward and cumbersome. If the question is there room to use your foot on the spider handle, the answer is yes. No, the handle does not hit the wall.

If you have not yet purchased a composting toilet, I would strongly suggest that you give the "Compoosting Toilet" some consideration. It is made in the UK, so your investment would be almost 50 percent more. In the long run, I think you will find there are many advantages of it over the NH and in the end well worth the extra expense. Let me know if you are interested and I will provide you some links.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:00 AM   #99

Texas
This is the new attachment to turn with your foot. I was wondering if the extra inches it stuck out would hit the wall.

Tell me more on why you would go for the compoosting toilet than natures head.
Attached Thumbnails
2D77898E-D2F7-4C50-96DD-475A25CA357A.jpg  
Old 03-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #100

Texas
I can’t find the “compoosting toilet”

Tags
casita