Furnace Install for 77 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #1

Name: Clyde
Trailer: Boler
Newfoundland
Furnace Install for 77 Boler

Hello,

I would like to install a propane furnace in my Boler but I am not sure if it will fit properly. The opening that I am considering is under the sink, over the wheel. The dimensions of the opening: Depth: 18 3/4 " ; Height and width: 12 1/2 "
A couple of furnaces that I have seen online have a cut out depth opening requirement of 20 inches deep and 21 inches deep. Does anyone have an opinion on using one of these furnace in the opening I have described?
Although the recommended cut out opening does not meet the manufacturers' specs, would it work if there was either a slight protrusion outside the surface of the cabinet? Other options or suggestions?

Clyde
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #2

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Hi Clyde. It sounds like I put a similar furnace in my 73 boler same location. I used some 1 1/2 ×1 inch molding around the opening to get clearance to the outside wall
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:25 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Try looking at a Propex furnace. If you click on my avatar then on my photo albums, you’ll see how small they are.
Best of luck.
Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #4

British Columbia
David they are nice but I can't justify spending that kind of money for only a few times using it per year. It really never gets that cold here in the PNW. I personally would install a Diesel heater if I was going to upgrade
Old 10-31-2020, 07:02 AM   #5

Name: Eric
TN
Registry
It wouldn't hurt the furnace but I bet you will wack you knee or shin on that sucker. I put a Chinese diesel heater in my Boler primarily because of the foot print and I like it so far. Haven't really put it to the test yet. Biggest issue is figuring out were you can mount the fuel tank.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:14 AM   #6

British Columbia
Eric. I watched an install of the diesel heater. He mounted it under the front bunk but for the fuel tank he just set a Jerry can beside the front of the trailer and put the fuel pickup in that. It worked well for him and didn't have t worry about stinky diesel inside his trailer
Old 10-31-2020, 05:16 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Dyke View Post
Eric. I watched an install of the diesel heater. He mounted it under the front bunk but for the fuel tank he just set a Jerry can beside the front of the trailer and put the fuel pickup in that. It worked well for him and didn't have t worry about stinky diesel inside his trailer
If you are getting diesel stink inside your trailer you have not done the installation properly. You need to connect a vent line from the fuel tank, if you have it mounted inside, to a thru wall fitting. Any diesel fumes from the ignited burner will be exiting through the exhaust line fitting that goes to the exterior.

When installed correctly there is no smell of diesel inside the trailer.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:44 PM   #8

British Columbia
There was no mention of fumes from it burning. I watched a couple of videos of guys filling up the tank that was situated inside their trailer. 1 bit of a spill and that would stink.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:03 AM   #9

Name: Eric
TN
Registry
I mounted my tank on the back outside wall of the trailer to avoid any fume issues. Right now it looks a little unsightly but I will eventually have an a/c unit and a tankless hot water unit mounted back there. I will put a cover over all of them to pretty it up and provide protection from the elements. [IMG]Running Lights by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #10

British Columbia
I like it great idea

Tags
boler, furnace