Refurbishing 1977 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Smile Refurbishing 1977 Scamp

Hello Scamp Family!

We're super excited to be part of the group and thankful there are so many resources and advice by the community. We have No idea what we're doing, but hoping y'all may be able to further assist in our journey.
After calling the dealership to steer us to a local distributor or partner/someone who can help us restore our 1977 Scamp, I discovered they don't have anyone they work with. So, we're doing this blindsided.
I did happen to ask the parts guy about the texture of the walls and why there were so sticky, and he says they are a vinyl texture that can usually be washed with soapy water and actually repainted inside by using "Zinsser" paint (primer and paint in one). My question is, How well does this type of paint work for others? Does anyone else recommend?
Thank you for your help!
Your Texas Girl - Jenn
Jmchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp Factory direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmchandler View Post
Hello Scamp Family!

We're super excited to be part of the group and thankful there are so many resources and advice by the community.
Everything Scamp is factory direct, no dealers.
Before you start spending money check some things. Is the floor solid, any cracks on the frame, Is the axle good, get it registered in your name.
Every thing on a Scamp is simple and many items can be found on Amazon or you local RV dealer. Have you found any problems to deal with?
P.S. Yours is "pre-fire" (Jan 2006 ??) so no production records remain for it.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Try this search, with these terms....
https://www.google.com/search?&q=pai...berglassrv.com

I have a newer Scamp with the marine headliner (AKA RatFur) wall covering so all I know about the ensolite (AKA Elephant Skin) wall covering is what I have read, mostly on this forum. From what I read many have been happy with caulking the seams and painting it all. I dont recall if Zinsser was mentioned but its a good paint brand so maybe its a good choice.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #4

Name: Jennifer
Texas
Great information

Thank you so much for providing for the advice and responses!

- Jennifer
Jmchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Florida
Scamp Rescue

We rescued a 1982 15 over a year ago and are in a working project. We use it for weekend to month or more trips as we restore andmodify it.

Pictures of it outside and in will help this group assess what may need to be done first. The Scamp folks have gelpful service, and many items have good alternatives or subsitutes available locally or on the internet.

Barring major issues, do not mess with the ensolite / elephant skin. It is a beast to clean off of the fiberglass and does have some sound and temperature insulation. Gently clean with soapy cloth and rinse then wipe dry. Use a flexible (lates or ?) paint if you want to change color. Make the surface is treated before painting.

Are the roof supports if place or were they removed in 'modifications?'

Watch the Scamp manufacturing video and check it when doing major work. How it is made helps you understand what you are working with.

TIRES! They may look good, but likely are ready to die. Check the tire date code ( How old are my tires? - CheckTire.com ) If they are over two or three years old, be wary of long trips.

ENJOY!
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Jennifer. Welcome to the world of fiberglass eggs!

My 73 boler has the ensolite "elephant skin" and it was seriously ugly when I got it. I did a major clean and primed with Bullseye 123 primer after which I topcoated with Behr Premium Plus Ultra. It's held up well over the last couple of years so I'm happy with it.

You can check out my before and after in this thread about my boler refurb

Have fun, take your time and make it your own!!

Bob
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #7

Name: Tom and Dee
Trailer: Escape
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmchandler View Post
Hello Scamp Family!

We're super excited to be part of the group and thankful there are so many resources and advice by the community. We have No idea what we're doing, but hoping y'all may be able to further assist in our journey.
After calling the dealership to steer us to a local distributor or partner/someone who can help us restore our 1977 Scamp, I discovered they don't have anyone they work with. So, we're doing this blindsided.
I did happen to ask the parts guy about the texture of the walls and why there were so sticky, and he says they are a vinyl texture that can usually be washed with soapy water and actually repainted inside by using "Zinsser" paint (primer and paint in one). My question is, How well does this type of paint work for others? Does anyone else recommend?
Thank you for your help!
Your Texas Girl - Jenn
I am completing a remodel of a 1977 Scamp 13 foot and it has the same foam backed vinyl as yours. I washed mine down really well with vinegar and water and then painted it with a Rustoleum gloss white oil based enamel, using a small roller. I specifically used this paint as it covers well, holds its gloss better, which makes it brighter, longer and it is more flexible than latex based paints.
TomDeeBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #8

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I have done a lot of rebuild work on mine.

Upgrade the power converter!!!! You will thank yourself later.

If you don't have a digital camera get one. Take pictures as you disassemble it. Again you will thank yourself.

Check the tank and pump. You will probably have to remove both. The floor there probably has a problem. Figure out how to repair it while things are out AND then put in a splash pan under the tank when you put it back.

Put in leds.

Put in more power connections.

If you have grand kids they you will want to install night lights for them.

Get spray adhesive and take down the liner and do your work and then out it back up right.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp