New Casita owner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #21

Name: Rick
Trailer: Escape
Lawrence
What great advice and information from you guys have offered! It is much appreciated.

We just got our trailer yesterday (a UShip contractor brought it to us from Michigan). I spent a few hours looking it over, but then took it directly to our local trailer shop for an inspection and service should anything be needed.

There is clearly a lot to learn and become familiar with. New systems. . . skills (towing, backing) etc. I think it will be fun, and I can't wait to see my son and new granddaughter in California.

Thanks everybody.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #22

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Hi Thunderworks,

Practice makes perfect. Try to find you a nice large empty lot to practice in. Realize that the trailer will move in the direction of the bottom of the steering wheel. When I first started out I would always use the o9ttom of the steering wheel to guide the trailer. Remember, back slowly until you can get the real feel of the trailer behind you. Good luck and happy motoring.

Yank
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #23

Name: Rick
Trailer: Escape
Lawrence
Just got the Casita back from the trailer shop. They inspected the frame, repacked the wheel bearings, fixed a sticky brake, installed a controller in my truck. Should be good to go for awhile.

After I got home, I started looking at all the various systems in the trailer. Trying to figure out all the lights, switches, add-ons from previous owners etc. The trailer is still in winterized mode so I'll drain, clean and sterilize the water system. -- which leads me to a question regarding the black and grey tanks --

1. how often to you need to drain each? Do you drain everything before hitting the road and drive with empty tanks or do you do that less often?

2. Does some water in the holding tank act as good ballast for the trailer. My unit has the 16 gal tank behind the axle. Should it be full to drive, empty, or something in between. Our upcoming trip has water and power at every planned stop.

3. on a different topic, the propane tanks seem a little wobbly on the hitch. I've tightened the bracket, but there is still movement. Is that normal?

TIA
Rick
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New Casita owner

I would drive with waste tanks empty as much as possible. You might want to have some fresh water in the tank for flushing the toilet on the fly (especially now due to COVID-19). If you going someplace without water, of course you’ll want a full fresh water tank.

I wouldn’t use water as pure ballast- lighter is better- but sometimes it can help at the back of a Casita to reduce tongue weight a bit, which tends to run high. You can go too far with that; you want around 12-15% for proper stability.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
regarding the black and grey tanks --

1. how often to you need to drain each? Do you drain everything before hitting the road and drive with empty tanks or do you do that less often?
Normally, you will want to drain these whenever you are able before hitting the road. The gray tank will fill too quickly. We use an extremely low-flow aerator on the kitchen sink to limit water usage. We never used our black tank, but I hear they fill slowly. If you ever get a site with a sewer hookup, and use the toilet, don't let the black tank drain continuously. Let it fill, then drain it all at once or you will likely get the dreaded "pile of poo" beneath the toilet.

Quote:
2. Does some water in the holding tank act as good ballast for the trailer. My unit has the 16 gal tank behind the axle. Should it be full to drive, empty, or something in between. Our upcoming trip has water and power at every planned stop.
If you have a 17, (might update your description), they are tongue-heavy so filling the fresh water tank helps to offset that a little bit. I don't like to have a tank partly full and sloshing around as I figure it pushes the trailer sideways a bit. Maybe that's not realistic but I will either run the tank full, or with just a few gallons in the bottom.

Quote:
3. on a different topic, the propane tanks seem a little wobbly on the hitch. I've tightened the bracket, but there is still movement. Is that normal?
That sounds troubling. Can you post pictures and describe this further?

Have you purchased the Casita Travel Trailer A-Z Owner's Guide by Eileen Glick? I think you'd find it extremely helpful.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita