Found some material called Ensolite IG2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #1

Name: Lu
Trailer: In the Market
Alberta
Found some material called Ensolite IG2

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck finding a close alterantive to the orignal Ensolite. I found some stuff manufactured by Armacell called Ensolite IG2. Its being sold under the name "Gym Rubber" on foambymail.com.

https://canada.foambymail.com/gymnas...ber-sheet.html

Here is the official armacell technical sheet.

https://www.armacell.us/fileadmin/us...taSheet.US.pdf

Looks promising? Thoughts?
lskoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #2

Alberta
They look to have them in 1/8" thickness, but with no skin on it. Might be a waste trying to paint over it 2-3 times.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #3

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Most of the Ensolite you can find isn't faced with anything. There is one place I found that has Ensolite faced with vinyl but it is all black:

https://foammart.com/product/ensolite/

Here is some Ensolite without any facing:

Ensolite IUO Peel and Stick --- 1 yard (13.875 sq ft) - RAAMaudio Inc.
https://www.professionalplastics.com...ITEPVC-NBRFAOM
https://foamforyou.com/ensolite-foam.html

This is all in the USA.

You can always put up the Ensolite without facing and then cover it in marine headliner.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #4

Alberta
RaaamAudio doesn’t ship to Canada, unfortunately. The marine liner is an option but I prefer the original look of the boilers.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #5

Name: Brigitte
Trailer: Boler
Kansas
YES! This is exactly what I got! Worked great! And I covered the armacell with a marine vinyl. Less than 300 buck us for the armacell. My boler came gutted, so I had to put something on the walls. My local foam people had it.
Attached Thumbnails
5985730861.jpg   20200115_083237.jpg  

BriB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriB View Post
YES! This is exactly what I got! Worked great! And I covered the armacell with a marine vinyl. Less than 300 buck us for the armacell. My boler came gutted, so I had to put something on the walls. My local foam people had it.
Looks awesome! That’s exactly what we are trying to do. What did you use to adhere to the fiberglass? Did your ensolite come in squares or rolls?
Old 06-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #7

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
BriB looks really nice. Well done.
steve67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #8

Kansas
Headliner glue. And Lepage contact cement. I read a thread here talking about service temperature that needed to be way high. I live in kansas city where it can get super hot and humid so I made sure service temp was 110 and up on those glues so stuff didnt start to fall off the walls as I'm camping!!
Thx! It does look so fresh and bright!!
Old 06-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #9

New Hampshire
Brigitte, if you could post what you got and where you got it that would be very helpful. A lot of people ask this very question a lot and you would be doing them a favor. I personally am curious about the marine vinyl.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #10

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I am interested in this product as well..
Old 06-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #11

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriB View Post
Headliner glue. And Lepage contact cement. I read a thread here talking about service temperature that needed to be way high. I live in kansas city where it can get super hot and humid so I made sure service temp was 110 and up on those glues so stuff didnt start to fall off the walls as I'm camping!!
Thx! It does look so fresh and bright!!
Would you mind elaborating on the service temperature or like the thread please?
Old 06-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Yellow contact cement, the type with VOC, not the water based versions has been the industry standard for applying headliners for more than half a century. You can purchase it in any hardware store. You do not need an exotic type of adhesive or even a spray adhesive. The spray can adhesives that are rated for headliner use are fine but they end up costing considerably more money.

I myself don't like using spray adhesives inside a small trailer due to the fumes and the overspray. It is much easier to control a brush and roll on adhesive.

Remember all these adhesives have a kick off time factor so you need to have everything cut to size, tested for fit and ready to apply. You will also need at least one helper.

don't forget to buy drop cloths for inside and for the large flat outside area where you coat the material before bringing it into the trailer.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've been followig this thread and find a lot of interesting things regardng ensolite, glue, headliners, etc. BUT I haven't seen anything regarding how to install these products (ensolite and vinyl). In 2003 I purchased a 10 or 12 year old 16 foot Casita. I didn't have it long because My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and before we were able to go on any trips with it she died. I sold it about 6 monthls later. This is kind of a backstory and I'll get to the reason for asking about installing the stuff. When I had the casita I had a LOT of problems with leaks from the screw caps that pierced the fiberglass, resulting in quite a few problems, including with the interior covering. After I replaced about 50%of the screws and caps the leaks were all taken care of and I started looking into replacing the interior covering and that's when my wife died. This was 2004. Since that time I've traveled a lot on my own with a variety of campers. Presently I have a truck camper shell. This shell is produced in Quebec for tradesmen, carpenters, electricians, etc. I found this on the internet completely by accident and thought it would make a perfect camper for the type traveling I do...off road, two tracks, FAR out away from everyone...you get the idea. I've had this unit for 7 years now and I really like it except it is NOT insulated in any way...bare, rough fiberglass. You can imagine the condensation I get if I try and heat it. I'm quite a bit older now and I would like to install the ensolite. When I was looking into this when I had the casita I came across some pretty good instructions to do the job...on this forum. I've searched for it but am unable to locate the file. Sooo can anyone give me a clue on how to install the ensolite or direct me to the file...by the way my present camper has NO corners, it's shaped more on the order of a casita or scamp, which is the problem for me. I have no idea how to cut the ensolite to match the contours of the camper. It does have windows, power vent, shore power and solar power input but NO piercings at all. Any help along thses lines would be greatly appreciated. Russell
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I went on the foammart.com web site and they have 1/8" with no skin, 1/4" with skin on one side, and thicker sizes with skin on both sides

Russell

I'm in error above: here is a quote from foamart site:
The 1-1/4″ thick product has skin on both sides. The 1/4″, 1/2″, 3/4″, and 1″ have a skin only on one side. The 1/8″ does not have a skin on either side.
Testing this material for use in your particular application to determine individual suitability is recommended
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #15

Alberta
I've easily had 15 calls to places for ensolite, and alternatives, and I think the gym rubber is the closet i will get it to the look I am shooting for. I plan on using contact cement and cutting it in strips like they did originally. Instead of headliner, I will be painting directly on top of it, prime with Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 or equivalent, fill seams with paintable DAP, and use high grade latex paint, as was suggested by Ian (the king) on boler.ca
Old 06-24-2020, 09:44 PM   #16

Kansas
I'm attaching the photos of where I got the ensolite . It is unfaced. My local shop in Kansas City. So on top of that is vinyl fabric from a auto reupholstering shop, also local. They sell the headliner glue there too. The glue LePage I got at Canadian Tire, if I remember well, when I was up there for Bolerama last year. I read it was a great product and high service temp, so I bought it and used it.
Thread about service temperature was on this forum. I'm sorry I dont know how to look for it....

"Service Temperature

The service temperature listed for the adhesive is a guide. The factors affecting the actual service temperature of anyone bonded joint include: adhesion to the substrates being bonded, the bond area, the speed of the temperature change, the amount of load or stress on the joint, the gap filled with the adhesive, the coefficients of expansion of the two substrates, the length at high temperature. Most adhesives can resist higher temperatures than what is listed as the service temperature for short periods of time providing adhesion to the substrate is high, and the stress is low."

So I paid attention to that piece of info since summers are brutal here and it's a small camper w not much ventilation and temperature can get way up. Hope this helps someone! I know how much this forum knowledge sharing has helped me!!! Thanks a bunch!
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1593025647155.jpg   FB_IMG_1593025639775.jpg  

Screenshot_20200624-223334_Maps.jpg  
Old 06-24-2020, 09:53 PM   #17

New Hampshire
How was the outgassing on the vinyl? Was there a heavy vinyl smell?
Old 06-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #18

Kansas
So all my windows were removed at the time of doing this part. Did it outside as well. Just put my "cover" back on the boler when I was done for the day. So it had time to vent out. A whole freaking month to be accurate!! I dont smell it at all.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Na
Washington
Closed cell

Ensolite was closed cell UV rated (if blues.

Mc master Carr has lots to similar to choose from.
https://www.mcmaster.com/closed-cell...ts-and-strips/
Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #20

Name: Lance
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 1988 B13.5
Alberta
I took mine back down to the foam layer, then sprayed it with bed liner material. I used the raptor guard kit. Had it tinted a grey since I have a black and white cabinet theme going.

Worked well, Have a few cracks after 3 years but reparable with high temperature flexible polyurethane caulking.
Drtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler