Window fan for Casita? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: '17 Casita SD
North Carolina
Window fan for Casita?

Has anyone ever added a window fan to their Casita or similar trailer? I would like to increase air flow with windows open, and run the A/C less often.

I would be open to ideas, whether the fan is attached to the window or just positioned while in use. Also open to 12V or 120V suggestions.

Here is one thing I've found, although it doesn't appear to be of exceptional quality: https://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Wi.../dp/B07QZC4KJK
sy48497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #2

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
I’ve never felt I needed one. Does your trailer have a fantastic fan in the ceiling? I use my ceiling fan and it does a great job moving air in or out. I put a max air cover over the vent so I can use it in all weather, plus it shades it in full sun.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Ditto.. a FF or MaxxFan on the roof is the way to go. Maxxfan might be the slightly better choice, but there are some reports of the control board failing if it gets wet.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #4

North Carolina
Yes, I have the fantastic fan, but I was not aware of the max air cover, so I will have to check that out.

I just got back from a week at Dreher Island State Park (near Columbia, SC), and needless to say, it was hot. I utilized the fan with windows open as often as I could, but there were plenty of occasions when that just wasn't enough.

I was working remotely from the Casita part of the time I was there, but I couldn't run the A/C during meetings because it's so loud. I also disliked running the A/C at night since the blower runs continuously even when the compressor is off.

Any way I could get some more air moving would help for summer trips like that one.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #5

Name: Lee
California
I should add, I also have a small clip on 12 volt fan I got at Walmart automotive section that is quiet and helps move air.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxAir-00-93...%2C576&sr=8-14
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:58 PM   #6

Name: Philip
Louisiana
Steven,
Fantastic Fan makes a box version of their roof mount unit, without some of the bells and whistles. The model name is Endless Breeze and it’s available through Walmart, eTrailer, etc.

One of its features is that it has hooks so that it can be hung on a wire crate to keep your pet cool. The hooks can be reversed so the unit can be flipped around, allowing you to have it blow in or blow out. I would expect the hooks could be adapted to hang on the Casita window frame.

Philip
Old 08-21-2020, 07:19 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
I just got back from a week at Dreher Island State Park (near Columbia, SC), and needless to say, it was hot. I utilized the fan with windows open as often as I could, but there were plenty of occasions when that just wasn't enough.
i live in columbia and i had to smile when i read your post. the issue here is not only is it hot, it's dreadfully humid as well (it's our heat and humility, you know...)

for me camping here this time of year is out of the question. i understand that sometimes it can't be avoided (you mentioned you were working). in that case your a/c and a fan is the most effective. i have one of those endless breeze little box fans and it's pretty wonderful. once you get the trailer chilled keep it that way and the a/c may cycle off and on less. as for the noise...well, there's earplugs or a pair of in-ear headphones (i listen to nature sounds while trying to doze off when i'm in a rest area seeping with the dinosaurs).

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
X2 on Endless Breeze. They run on 12v and use about the same juice as a light bulb. Great for boondocking.
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
A Fantastic Fan and an open window becomes a window fan. Its worth every penny. Also doubles as a stove vent. One of my favorite additions to the camper.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
i live in columbia and i had to smile when i read your post. the issue here is not only is it hot, it's dreadfully humid as well (it's our heat and humility, you know...)

for me camping here this time of year is out of the question. i understand that sometimes it can't be avoided (you mentioned you were working). in that case your a/c and a fan is the most effective. i have one of those endless breeze little box fans and it's pretty wonderful. once you get the trailer chilled keep it that way and the a/c may cycle off and on less. as for the noise...well, there's earplugs or a pair of in-ear headphones (i listen to nature sounds while trying to doze off when i'm in a rest area seeping with the dinosaurs).

p@
I chose to take this trip, even though I had to work ~50% of the time, mainly because I was just aching to take the Casita somewhere and have a change of scenery!

I actually really enjoyed Dreher Island, and I plan to go back, although I might opt for a spring/fall trip rather than August!
Old 08-22-2020, 05:45 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
mainly because I was just aching to take the Casita somewhere and have a change of scenery!
i can certainly relate to that ache. and yes, it's a great park but even better in cooler weather and...much fewer noisy boats and jet skis.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #12

North Carolina
I stayed in site 31, situated in a cove with very little boat/jet ski traffic. I would highly recommend sites 31-33 for that reason.

Also, thanks to everyone for the Endless Breeze fan suggestion! I will probably end up going in that direction.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #13

Name: John
Ohio
Small double fan

Bought a small double fan
Dimensions 8 x 24 8nches. Used 4 command strips attached above rear window. Synched 4 command strips with hooks rotated 90 degrees to those below storage and above window. Allowed clearance for shades. Works great. Take about a minute to remove when traveling
Also used command strips to make channel for electrical cord. Don't listen to those talking about fantastic fans. This pushes a lot more air and quiet. Of course air flow isn't great when rain and window closed. Still moves air.
diver3jp100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I just use a portable fan that sits on the back cushion and tied to the curtain rod to keep it from falling. I just installed a window ac for when it is hot though.
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #15

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
In my old little motorhome, I had a Fantastic Fan that was a box fan, like someone mentioned. It worked great.

I think the roof vent fan works just as well though. Pulling air up out of the top and sucking it in the windows.

I do also have a very small double fan in the corner of my camper, screwed into the underside of the cabinets. It draws a lot less power than the Fantastic Fan, is quieter, and is more about comfort; moving air around rather than sucking hot air out the top of the trailer. It just provides some moving air.

I wouldn't leave my roof vent Fantastic Fan on all night in hot weather, but I regularly leave this little double-fan on all night, just to keep a little air blowing on me to help cool off. It doesn't have much effect on my battery.

In my mind, the roof vent fan is a necessity. First priority. But a secondary fan will absolutely add to comfort and is well worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 6.23.48 PM.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	137088

If you're observant (well, I'm pointing it out so you don't have to be...), you'll notice I had to google "screenshot on mac" to get this photo. I never can remember how to do that...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #16

Alberta
This o2cool is the fan that I use and like. The legs flip up so you can hang it in front of the window. It can operate on battery or ac.

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...-ocol1001.html
Old 09-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #17

Alberta
Here is an interesting video comparing the endless Breeze to an o2cool fan. The endless Breeze puts out more air but uses more power. The o2cool is more versatile. Mine is the older one but I can actually plug it into usb but I don't know if it was designed for that. For me the endless Breeze is not really an option because it is almost $300 with shipping on Amazon here in Canada right now. I just spent $160 on a whole window ac unit at CT.

https://youtu.be/YoJCht8T-JY
Old 09-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #18

Alberta
Here is another good video comparing portable fans vs fantastic fan.

https://youtu.be/GpMJwDXfTBs
Old 09-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #19

Name: Shelley
Oregon
Window AC or swamp cooler?

Hi. I have two dogs I need to keep cool when it gets really hot. I have an AC “strip” but it’s not exactly an air conditioner. If all goes according to plan I won’t be in humid areas. Has anyone tried a portable swamp cooler? I have a generator. Which will pull more power (I‘m old now and have to run a C-PAP - Yikes!) ?
Thanks all. My first camper.
Shelley Latin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:32 AM   #20

Alberta
I have not tried a swamp cooler, but when I was thinking of making one I came across this informative video below. I ended up buying a small window ac instead.

https://youtu.be/ALxUmEVoFJE

Tags
casita