First fiberglass camper Scamp 19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #1

Name: Juan
Trailer: Scamp
California
First fiberglass camper Scamp 19

Hi, great to find a community like this. 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4X4 Dual cab with a Scamp 19 5th wheel. Bought it in Houston, will get it out to California later this fall. Any tips on hauling it from Houston to San Diego would be greatly appreciated!
KINETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINETA View Post
Hi, great to find a community like this. 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4X4 Dual cab with a Scamp 19 5th wheel. Bought it in Houston, will get it out to California later this fall. Any tips on hauling it from Houston to San Diego would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to FGRV Juan. Can't really tell by your post, is your tug the Toyo or did you buy this as a combination sale? If it's a combo sale, a plane flight is the way to go. If the Toyo is yours I hope the hitch is included. Check the date codes on the tires as '06 originals are out of date. Have the axle bearing checked and greased up. The trip back is pretty much a piece of cake until you hit Honey Springs grade coming up out of the desert to San Diego county, that's a 10 mile grade, OD is a no no on that . I go up that with my Ranger 4.0 auto & SD17 at 55, 3700 rpm just fine, even with the air conditioning on.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:20 AM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Welcome to FGRV Juan. Can't really tell by your post, is your tug the Toyo or did you buy this as a combination sale? If it's a combo sale, a plane flight is the way to go. If the Toyo is yours I hope the hitch is included. Check the date codes on the tires as '06 originals are out of date. Have the axle bearing checked and greased up. The trip back is pretty much a piece of cake until you hit Honey Springs grade coming up out of the desert to San Diego county, that's a 10 mile grade, OD is a no no on that . I go up that with my Ranger 4.0 auto & SD17 at 55, 3700 rpm just fine, even with the air conditioning on.
Hi Dave,
Not bought as a combo. Truck is already mine in CA. My dad in Houston is handling the transaction. Having a local RV shop install the hitch
Old 07-23-2017, 01:25 AM   #4

California
Good deal, long distance buys can be tricky but you've got an ace in the hole. Is he bringing to SD or are you making the trip?
Old 07-23-2017, 01:26 AM   #5

California
I'm making the trip both ways.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:43 AM   #6

California
Never been in Houston but was stationed in north Texas way back and made that trip back to SD a few times. Going both ways you'll get the low down for the return trip. Don't know if you've towed anything in CA but the speed limit is 55, I pretty much stay between that and 60 and have never had a problem with the CHP. I've had many folks with trailers pass me at 70+ and have never seen them pulled over but...........
Post some pics of your new rig, we like pics.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #7

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Take some warm blankets and pillows.

Great Truck (I have) nice trailer, will be no problem.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I assume the Scamp 19 has the raised suspension. That will be needed to connect to the Tundra due to the cargo bed rail height.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I assume the Scamp 19 has the raised suspension. That will be needed to connect to the Tundra due to the cargo bed rail height.
It does not. But I'm figuring that out now. The previous owner was towing it with a full size Chevy 4x4. Is the raised suspension really necessary? Can an adjustment not be made in the hitch height?
Old 07-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Take some warm blankets and pillows.

Great Truck (I have) nice trailer, will be no problem.
Thanks! Yeah I love it.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Never been in Houston but was stationed in north Texas way back and made that trip back to SD a few times. Going both ways you'll get the low down for the return trip. Don't know if you've towed anything in CA but the speed limit is 55, I pretty much stay between that and 60 and have never had a problem with the CHP. I've had many folks with trailers pass me at 70+ and have never seen them pulled over but...........
Post some pics of your new rig, we like pics.
Good to know since I've never towed anything in CA.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #12

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Have you installed a brake controller?
Old 07-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Have you installed a brake controller?
Yes I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 installed.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #14

Name: Larry and Pat
Wisconsin
Registry
Hitch Height

Better check with Scamp on this...They are great about answering questions regarding their trailers. I pull our Scamp 19 with a 2013 Ram 1500..our axle is raised 3 inches and I've noticed a couple of times where it would have been a problem if it wasn't. Changing the hitch height could possibly change how it handles when towed. Configured correctly these trailers are going machines. We pulled ours to Alaska and back last summer, absolutely no problems with the trailer, it just sat "back there" and said, "Let's go!"

Quote:
It does not. But I'm figuring that out now. The previous owner was towing it with a full size Chevy 4x4. Is the raised suspension really necessary? Can an adjustment not be made in the hitch height?
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdolan View Post
Better check with Scamp on this...They are great about answering questions regarding their trailers. I pull our Scamp 19 with a 2013 Ram 1500..our axle is raised 3 inches and I've noticed a couple of times where it would have been a problem if it wasn't. Changing the hitch height could possibly change how it handles when towed. Configured correctly these trailers are going machines. We pulled ours to Alaska and back last summer, absolutely no problems with the trailer, it just sat "back there" and said, "Let's go!"
Good to know. When I bought the hitch they told me the same thing. Once I get the hitch installed, I'm going to take measurements but I do expect I'm going to need the 3" raise kit. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Congratulations! The 5th wheel Scamp is very stable to tow, it should be easy. Did you buy the hitch from Scamp? (It is not a real 5th wheel hitch, by the way.) You should be able to get it home regardless of how level it is when hitched up and then work on the 3 inch lift.

There was this Scamp in TX for sale:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post652076
This one is/was a beauty, judging form the pictures. Is that it?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Congratulations! The 5th wheel Scamp is very stable to tow, it should be easy. Did you buy the hitch from Scamp? (It is not a real 5th wheel hitch, by the way.) You should be able to get it home regardless of how level it is when hitched up and then work on the 3 inch lift.

There was this Scamp in TX for sale:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post652076
This one is/was a beauty, judging form the pictures. Is that it?
Hi Paul, wow, very nice but no not that lucky. This one looks immaculate!

Good to know they're stable. Do you know if the 3 inch lift has any effect on the towing stability at highway speeds/crosswinds?
Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Hi Paul, wow, very nice but no not that lucky. This one looks immaculate!

Good to know they're stable. Do you know if the 3 inch lift has any effect on the towing stability at highway speeds/crosswinds?
Hi Juan, no, I think the towing stability is not affected by the 3" lift at all, mine has it. I have pulled mine in all kinds of headwinds and crosswinds without any signs of problems. It is so steady that that a couple of times I did not realize how fast (about 75) I was going and raised my lead foot quickly. The dynamic behavior has a lot to do with being connected to the truck right above the rear axle, not three feet behind.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Hi Juan, no, I think the towing stability is not affected by the 3" lift at all, mine has it. I have pulled mine in all kinds of headwinds and crosswinds without any signs of problems. It is so steady that that a couple of times I did not realize how fast (about 75) I was going and raised my lead foot quickly. The dynamic behavior has a lot to do with being connected to the truck right above the rear axle, not three feet behind.
Good to know, what truck do you pull it with?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #20

Name: Dan & Ginny
Trailer: Casita 16 plus its big adopted sister Passport
Missouri
hitches

Quote:
just measure the camper tongue at level then measure the receiver hole on truck ,they sell drop hitches reasonable prices any where from 1 inch drop or rise to 8 inch drop or rise
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp