Parkliner Shut Down - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #21

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My wish would be for a fiberglass trailer that matched the quality of the fiberglass on a boat...
Steve, that would be an Oliver. The minimum thickness of most of its Fibergass is 3/8”, even the interior cabinets are that thick. The roof, including its added nidacore, is over 2” thick. This and the double hulls are the primary reasons for its weight being at least twice what most others weigh. But, as you stated, it’s only a problem if your vehicle is incapable of towing it.

As far as Parkliner goes, I stand by what I said three years ago...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post561935
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #22

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Steve, that would be an Oliver. The minimum thickness of most of its Fibergass is 3/8”, even the interior cabinets are that thick. The roof, including its added nidacore, is over 2” thick. This and the double hulls are the primary reasons for its weight being at least twice what most others weigh. But, as you stated, it’s only a problem if your vehicle is incapable of towing it.

As far as Parkliner goes, I stand by what I said three years ago...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post561935

But that would cut out a lot of us who do not want to own a behemoth truck to tow our trailers. The Ricky and Lucy beds and the weight were the primary reason I did not want an Oliver. We did go up and tour the factory while we were researching what we wanted. Fit and finish wise the Oliver is a nice trailer. Just not what we wanted. Luckily there are more than one manufacture so most of us can find something we like. Back when we first started looking we did come very close to buying an Airstream. The dealer seeking an even larger sale then went into reasons we did not want the smaller Airstream and would be happier in a larger one he carried. Ended up doing us a favor by talking us out of the trailer. And the larger one would have needed a new truck to tow it. so it too was not on our list.
I apparently have weaker fingers as I have not poked through the walls on ours and so far I've had no problems with the parts of the trailer built by Escape. The items I have had problems with are used by most of the manufactures in the U.S..
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #23

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTent View Post
I was told they are moving the manufacturing plant to Indiana, and may start production back sometime mid next year.

There seems no prudent reason to dump their web site if they simply intend to move to a different manufacturing location.
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
But that would cut out a lot of us who do not want to own a behemoth truck to tow our trailers. The Ricky and Lucy beds and the weight were the primary reason I did not want an Oliver. We did go up and tour the factory while we were researching what we wanted. Fit and finish wise the Oliver is a nice trailer. Just not what we wanted. Luckily there are more than one manufacture so most of us can find something we like. Back when we first started looking we did come very close to buying an Airstream. The dealer seeking an even larger sale then went into reasons we did not want the smaller Airstream and would be happier in a larger one he carried. Ended up doing us a favor by talking us out of the trailer. And the larger one would have needed a new truck to tow it. so it too was not on our list.
I apparently have weaker fingers as I have not poked through the walls on ours and so far I've had no problems with the parts of the trailer built by Escape. The items I have had problems with are used by most of the manufactures in the U.S..
What is a “Behemoth” truck ? I’ve seen several Olivers towed by standard size vehicles . If you wish to tow an Oliver with a Geo Metro then I could see a problem .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I consider a full-size, half-ton, crew cab, short bed pickup "behemoth." They dwarf my 8-passenger Pilot, which I consider a "large" vehicle.

Many people obviously consider them "just right." For myself I considered our previous 2000 Sienna minivan "just right" for towing our 13' Scamp. Unfortunately the new ones are quite a bit larger.

It's all relative.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #26

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I consider a full-size, half-ton, crew cab, short bed pickup "behemoth." They dwarf my 8-passenger Pilot, which I consider a "large" vehicle.

Many people obviously consider them "just right." For myself I considered our previous 2000 Sienna minivan "just right" for towing our 13' Scamp. Unfortunately the new ones are quite a bit larger.

It's all relative.
I saw a Ford truck the other day that might fit your definition
It was a Ford crew cab with an 8ft box
I thought it was larger than normal but it didn’t quite meet my definition of behemoth !
To me a mini van is exactly what the title implies “MINI” or “MINIATURE”
Old 12-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #27

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijMichael View Post
At $49,900, if I remember right, I would rather opt for an Oliver. More RV for the $$.
When the Nest was about to be released we got on our local wait list for one, but when the price was announced, which was about $10K more than what we expected, we did not even preview one when available. Our Casita 17' SD does just fine considering how much more we would have to spend and what we would get.
EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #28
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijMichael View Post
At $49,900, if I remember right, I would rather opt for an Oliver. More RV for the $$.
Around 30k is what I have seen. Here is a link to a few on RV trader: https://www.rvtrader.com/RVs/rvs-for...word=Parkliner

While I like some of the new look the RV Trader price is almost twice what we paid in 2014.
I’m happy
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #29

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggRoll View Post
When the Nest was about to be released we got on our local wait list for one, but when the price was announced, which was about $10K more than what we expected, we did not even preview one when available. Our Casita 17' SD does just fine considering how much more we would have to spend and what we would get.
Have to agree , the Casita 17 DLX is one of the best values in the FG trailer industry . IMHO
Old 12-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Have to agree , the Casita 17 DLX is one of the best values in the FG trailer industry .
The Casita 17 DLX is a nice trailer, but value is subjective.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #31

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I saw a Ford truck the other day that might fit your definition
It was a Ford crew cab with an 8ft box
I thought it was larger than normal but it didn’t quite meet my definition of behemoth !
Like this? What's beyond behemoth... Gargantuan? Colossal?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Truck.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	126985

Quote:
To me a mini van is exactly what the title implies “MINI” or “MINIATURE”
Minivans haven't been "mini" for a long time...

Name:   Pacifica Caravan 2.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  9.0 KB
Old 12-30-2018, 12:22 AM   #32

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
But that would cut out a lot of us who do not want to own a behemoth truck to tow our trailers. The Ricky and Lucy beds and the weight were the primary reason I did not want an Oliver...

I'm unclear on just what a "...Ricky and Lucy bed..." is. If you are referring to the twin beds and using that as a reason you didn't want an Oliver, perhaps you somehow missed the fact that you are not required to choose that option. You could have had a King size bed.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #33

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Around 30k is what I have seen. Here is a link to a few on RV trader: https://www.rvtrader.com/RVs/rvs-for...word=Parkliner

While I like some of the new look the RV Trader price is almost twice what we paid in 2014.
I’m happy
As I recall (which my recall has been known to be bad, some times), the base price of the redesigned ParkLiner included VERY few standard items. I think even a refrigerator was an add-on (add-price) option. Others might have better memory of such...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:26 AM   #34

Arizona
Registry
Parkliner Shut Down

When dealers are involved, base price and options based on MSRP are meaningless. All that matters is the final selling price. I'd guess most units delivered to dealers had fairly complete option lists. The prices on RVTrader are get-you-to-the-showroom prices. Expect some hidden add-ons when you arrive at a dealer- negotiable, of course.

Given that a near-new used 2018 Parkliner has recently shown up in the Marketplace with an asking price of $26K, real-world selling prices around $30K or a little higher (with options) seem likely.

That used unit seems like a pretty sweet deal.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #35
k8t

Name: Katie
Trailer: ParkLiner 2013
California
Sad!

We're very sorry to hear about the closing of Parkliner!

We're still enjoying our 2013 model and have had very few issues. As far as support goes, we wouldn't have gotten anything after 2 years anyway, but we WERE able to get new hinges sent to us earlier this past year. We've found that the greatest support has come from the people on this forum sharing modification ideas and solutions to problems. When we can't find the answer, a quick PM to someone with a similar problem has normally done the trick.

As far as value goes, we're not worried. Over the past 2 years we've had over half a dozen people either knock on the door of our home asking if we'd be interested in selling, or leaving a note taped to the window with their phone number to call when we're ready to sell.

The only thing that might get us to sell this little gem is going up to a 17 footer in order to get a bit more floor space. We travel with 2 lovable 100lb labs and at night it's pretty tricky to get to the door or the loo. But whenever we talk about up-sizing, we keep coming back to how much we love all the other simple features of this trailer.

I hope Parkliner can figure it out and get back into production. It's a sweet little trailer!
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #36

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8t View Post
We're very sorry to hear about the closing of Parkliner!

As far as value goes, we're not worried. Over the past 2 years we've had over half a dozen people either knock on the door of our home asking if we'd be interested in selling, or leaving a note taped to the window with their phone number to call when we're ready to sell.

The only thing that might get us to sell this little gem is going up to a 17 footer in order to get a bit more floor space. We travel with 2 lovable 100lb labs and at night it's pretty tricky to get to the door or the loo. But whenever we talk about up-sizing, we keep coming back to how much we love all the other simple features of this trailer.

I've had that with the Escape too, we come home and a note is tucked into the screen porch door. I've noticed most people know the fiberglass trailers for being leak resistant. Which is a good thing here.

One thing I have noticed from going to a few rallies, the smaller the trailer the bigger the dog or dogs. We have been amazed watching huge dogs coming out of 13 foot Scamps at rallies. The exact opposite seems to happen as the trailer or RV gets larger, they often have tiny little lap dogs.

I imagine as long as the molds are not destroyed someone will eventually start making those trailers again..
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #37

Name: Melissa
Trailer: In the market
TN
Parkliner

Just saw one on interstate in mountains near Chattanooga TN earlier today. I was going to wave but they got by me as someone had texted and I missed a "Fiberglass Hello!"
Melissa T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 01:39 PM   #38

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The Parkliner was a nice size with clever space utilization. I think if they had stayed with the original single hull design, focused on production efficiency and cost/quality control, and kept the price in the $20-25K range, they had a chance.

Long-term survival requires developing additional models. An 18' Parkliner with the same clever packaging and longways bed(s) in the $25-30K range... That would have made more sense to me than the costly redesign of the old model.

Now we can only wish.
Could have been a worn out molds replacement cost vs new and improved molds that have new features that meet the current market expectations of better insulation. Fiberglass Molds do not last forever and they are expensive to replace.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner