Eco Trailers - Ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #1

Name: dean
Trailer: ECO
Texas
Eco Trailers - Ensolite

What is the tape that is used between the seams on the ensolite material on the walls....
Thanks dean
dacjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #2

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Video How To Caulk and Paint Ensolite Seams

Dean:

The usual method of covering the seams between Ensolite sheets in fiberglass RVs is to use what is called T-Molding. This can be purchased from places like T-Molding.com (https://www.t-molding.com/), or a few other alternative suppliers. If you do a search for T-Molding using the search tool at the top of the FiberglassRV.com page above, you will find many threads about this topic.

The problem with T-molding is that it will age and wrinkle over time, and need to be replaced. We (and many others) have replaced the T-molding by filling the gaps with acrylic caulk and painting over the entire Ensolite surface. This not only fixes the T-molding problem, but freshens up the entire Ensolite face, as well as adding color and character to your trailer.

See my video on how I did ours at .
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #3

Texas
Thank you Curt for your input and great video... Really appreciate it...

dean
Old 11-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn.Curt.Wiebe View Post
The problem with T-molding is that it will age and wrinkle over time, and need to be replaced.
Mr. Wiebe, The T-molding in Trilliums is made of vinyl, which gets soft and expands when it gets hot. It will pop out of the track it is snapped into. When it cools, it will adopt the shape it cools in. You can pull it off and boil it. It will flatten out to its original shape. I have done this every couple of years and it works great. Don't throw away old Trillium T-molding, that stuff is hard to find.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #5

Texas
I pulled off all the "tape" on the seams.... no "T" molding on this one.... cleaned half of the seams and the panels on the trailer thus far... it cleans up pretty good.... Does anyone have an electrical schematic or know where to find one for the ECO?
Old 11-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Mr. Wiebe, The T-molding in Trilliums is made of vinyl, which gets soft and expands when it gets hot. It will pop out of the track it is snapped into. When it cools, it will adopt the shape it cools in. You can pull it off and boil it. It will flatten out to its original shape. I have done this every couple of years and it works great. Don't throw away old Trillium T-molding, that stuff is hard to find.
David - Yes, the T-molding can be warmed and reinstalled. However ours lasted only 3 or 4 months before going all wonky again. Plus we were already missing a few pieces, so the rest of it all went into the dumpster years ago!

Some of our receiving track that the molding fits into was also damaged - that may have been part of our issue as well.

None the less - we are much happier with our painted acrylic finish than we ever were with the T-molding.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
ECO vs boler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacjeep View Post
I pulled off all the "tape" on the seams.... no "T" molding on this one.... cleaned half of the seams and the panels on the trailer thus far... it cleans up pretty good.... Does anyone have an electrical schematic or know where to find one for the ECO?
Dean - the ECO is essentially an American built boler - see https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...+trailers.html.

Again, if you search under boler in the manufacturer's section (tab above) or look in the documents section under the "more" tab right next to the manufacturer's tab above, you should find lots of information to help you out!

Old 11-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #8

Name: Patricia
Trailer: ECO & Casita
California
Registry
Dap dynaflex 230 calk is what I just got to finish some more of the ensolite seams. I did order a piece of the rat fur seam tape from Scamp to cover the larger seam to the fan or air conditioner location. I am thinking about putting that up with Velcro strips in case anything needs to be changed in the future. I have painted some of the ensolite with behr Navajo white latex paint and it is a fairly close match to 1974 eco ensolite.
Pat Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Seam Repair

I have had great results with the following:

1) remove old seam tape
2) clean with methyl hydrate
3) use 3M Safety-Walk Slip Resistant Tape, White, 1 in x 15 ft (280W-R1X180)
4) Apply 3M tape.
5) Go back over it with a heat gun (like a hair dryer) on low, warm tape and press into Ensolite surface. Note that the texture of the tape will roughly match the textures of the Ensolite.
6) paint if required.

Looks great, cleanable, won't come off and paintable.
Anthony R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #10

Texas
Thanks..... great idea... going to try that first...
Old 11-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #11

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
3M

Just remember to use only the 3M product. I tried other, slightly cheaper, brands and they fell off. The 3M stuff holds very well.

Also, the 3M product also comes in clear as well as white. I tried both and found that while both are paintable, the white version is a better base and the paint looks a bit better.

Good luck!
Anthony R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #12

Texas
I will ... I found it at Walmart... for $10.... thanks
Old 12-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #13

Texas
Update on seams

We did the non slip tape by 3m and it worked great so far anyway. Very pleased and pretty easy.... We have it all painted white to match the tape and blended in very well.... When I transfer my pictures from my phone to here I will post a couple...

Thanks again for everyone's input...

dean

Tags
eco