Oxygen bonair rub rail - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #1

Name: Kayc
Trailer: Oxygen bonaire
Wisconsin
Oxygen bonair rub rail

Hi to all, I recently purchased an oxygen and the rub rail needs replacing. Does anyone know where to find one?
Kayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is this like an insert in an aluminum band, or…?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #3

Wisconsin
It’s a black rubber rub rail. I will take and post a picture tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
If you are referring to the black belly band insert, vinyl replacements are available on Amazon and from RV stores. If you pay a bit more, you will get a better quality vinyl.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #5

Wisconsin
It was a black rubber rail that was glued on. This is an early oxygen. 19th one made. The one picture is the rubrail and the other picture is the bump it was glued on to. It fit under the bottom of the bump and then was glued.
Attached Thumbnails
1A58B2E2-0AEA-47B8-AD09-C307C913108A.jpg   F9498294-9641-4E43-A5C8-0873088A849C.jpg  

Old 05-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In your search it might help to refer to it as a "belly band", but I've never seen one like that.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: Bonair
Ontario
Registry
Hello Kayc,

Congratulations on your new Oxygen. It's a unique trailer and there aren't very many of us owners. I've owned mine for 8 years and learned a lot.
Referring to your other post first, the windows only open a few inches due to their design. Have someone stand outside while you open the window from the inside and the person outside will see that the window pivots on the hinge and that the hinge-side edge of the window actually pushes in toward the trailer hitting the rubber gasket. If you try to force the window open more, it may cause damage. You can release the window latch (look for a sliding grey latch on the handle) to open the windows more but I think this would only be used in an emergency situation or for removing the window completely. I can send you a picture if you need one to locate the windows release mechanism. Be very careful not to let the hinged side open when you open the window or are travelling. There's a grey plastic clip that keeps the hinge closed. These windows are notorious for falling out unless you take precautions to ensure the hinge side clip stays shut. Read some experiences from other Oxygen owners in the Oxygen forum. Again, if you require, I can send pictures to clarify.

Concerning the belly band, mine was falling off too when I acquired my Oxygen. I couldn't locate a replacement part. Unlike other fibreglass trailers, the belly band on the Oxygen is really not necessary (I'm sure that will cause some disagreement...). I removed mine, cleaned, sanded, and resealed the underside of the seam (between top and bottom) and then had the area the belly band covered, painted with marine paint. (Not cheap.) There are pictures in my profile that show what I'm talking about. I guess this isn't the answer you are looking for, but that belly band part is pretty unique. Perhaps another Oxygen owner has sourced this part.
grimjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Not an inexpensive solution, but a solution:

Old 05-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Oxygen Window latch.jpg   Oxygen windows latch and hinges.jpg  

Old 05-22-2021, 04:55 AM   #10

Wisconsin
Thank you so much for all the information.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #11

Wisconsin
I checked out your pictures. I love what you have done with your camper. I am interested in the door on the bathroom. How did you do that? Also the countertop etc is amazing. I need to redo mine. Do you have to take out the refrigerator to put in a new countertop? Also. I’d like to add an air unit. Do you have one? The interior looks so great in the pictures. Best I’ve seen.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #12

Ontario
Registry
Thank you. It's been a multi-year project. My wife and I pick something to improve each year. She has the ideas and I provide the labour.

The bathroom door was first designed by another Oxygen owner and forum member (Rod). I saw Rod's pictures, liked what I saw, and took a picture to a friend of mine who builds stringed instruments. The door is way beyond my ability to construct and I'm glad I had a friend with the skills. Rod's door design looks like what the trailer should have come with to start. Feel free to find someone skilled with wood-working and copy the design. The wood is marine-grade plywood and mahogany. I chose this wood to minimize the chance of warping due to temperature and humidity changes.

The counter-top is 1" butcher block. I used the existing counter-top as a template and made the left side overhang wider so there's an area to place dishes next to the sink. The fridge can stay where it is to remove the counter-top, but you have to detach the stove propane supply and the water supply lines and the drain to remove the stove and sink. Then there are 8 screws holding the counter-top down to the fibreglass cabinet.

The original owner's manual warns that the Oxygen was not designed to accommodate an air conditioner. We have chosen to install a Maxxair fan only. I am not suggesting that you install an air conditioner, however I've noted that other Oxygen owners have. I also know from experience that the roof is strong enough to hold my weight for many hours. I was on top of the trailer sanding for many hours before we had it repainted. The problems with adding an air conditioner are:

1) Feeding enough power up to the air conditioning unit. The existing 12 gauge wire is not sufficient to carry the current required to operate an air conditioner.

2) You change the center of gravity for the trailer by adding significant weight up high. I don't know what impact this has on towing (if any.)

Again, according to the owner's manual I have, Bonaire did not design the Oxygen for an air conditioner. There are Oxygen owners who have added an air conditioner and their advice may be more valuable to you than mine.

Good luck with your renovations. If you have questions, I'm happy to answer.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I used auto body side molding to replace the "look" of my Trillium belly band. Can find it on Ebay and Amazon.

First picture shows after repair, paint (of the center seam only) and body side molding.
Attached Thumbnails
D876EDD2-E0E1-459E-8991-51E3FDBD08C1_1_201_a.jpg   0F4386CE-4690-48A5-9780-37DDC5A77933.jpg  

4555418D-C614-4E61-8B43-F9717B0BD751.jpg  
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oxygen