How to hang pictures and other decor on the carpeted walls of a Casita? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Try and see if the hook side of Velcro will stick well to the carpeting. If so they you can mount your pictures to the wall that way.
i tried several variations of velcro hooks on the casita shag carpeting with no luck at all. some velcro hooks stick OK to 'indoor/outdoor' type carpet, but not to shag.

the cubical hooks are the optimal solution. drapery hooks, the hook part is too big for a picture hook, although with needlenose pliers you can modify them.
Attached Thumbnails
71cJBHtI5xL._SL1500_[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i tried several variations of velcro hooks on the casita shag carpeting with no luck at all. some velcro hooks stick OK to 'indoor/outdoor' type carpet, but not to shag.

the cubical hooks are the optimal solution. drapery hooks, the hook part is too big for a picture hook, although with needlenose pliers you can modify them.
I don't think drapery hooks are a good idea in all cases. Scamp uses a "reflex" type of insulation between the fiberglass and the "rat fur". Everytime you insert a pointed object you are more than likely to poke a hole in a mylar bubble. (relfex type insulation if mylar bubbles with foil on each side, Scamp used two layers.)

Insulation keeps cold out or heat out. So like it colder than outside or in the summer hotter than the outside temperature then it's OK to destroy the insulation.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How to hang pictures and other decor on the carpeted walls of a Casita?

Completely agree, Byron. We’re talking about Casita carpet here and the suggested solutions do not apply more generally.

Just an FYI... Scamp uses just one layer of foil bubble wrap, consisting of two interlocking layers of plastic bubbles with an outer skin of foil on both sides. I have seen several cutaways and there is definitely only one layer of Ray-Foil.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #24

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
a few small holes here and there in the Reflextic mylar surface and bubbles won't make any significant difference to staying warm or cool.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Completely agree, Byron. We’re talking about Casita carpet here and the suggested solutions do not apply more generally.

Just an FYI... Scamp uses just one layer of foil bubble wrap, consisting of two interlocking layers of plastic bubbles with an outer skin of foil on both sides. I have seen several cutaways and there is definitely only one layer of Ray-Foil.
FYI mine has 2 layers. (2005)
Old 07-24-2019, 06:38 AM   #26

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
or... if you can live without that annoying mirror casita puts on the bathroom door you can use that space for a piece of very thin steel and have a magnet board (i use those tiny but insanely strong magnets).
Attached Thumbnails
bath door_1.jpg  
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #27

Name: Mindy
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
I got a package of plastic hooks with metal prongs on the back from Amazon and use them in several places for lightweight items. This banner stays up all the time and we collect pins during our travels. We each have a hook in the corner by the bed to hang our glasses on at night. My husband leaves his reading glasses on it during transit and they stay put.

I did not like drapery hooks. The ones I got had really thick prongs. Instead I got T-pins and use them throughout.

Additionally, we have a piece of art hung permanently on the wood divider anchored at top and bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
20190724_124016.jpg   20190724_124044.jpg  

mindygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #28

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
FYI mine has 2 layers. (2005)
Guess you must have ordered the Arctic package!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #29

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: Casita 17-ft Spirit
Wisconsin
Yet another decorative option

When we travel we look for woven pieces that we can attach to the carpeted walls of our Casita with drapery hooks: for example, we have
a very small Navajo-style rug, a pillow cover from Turkey, a woven fabric from Peru, a Hmong hanging that we bought locally. They add color and memories, both good things.
Liz and David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #30

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Patrick -

Can you tell me how you changed the seat at dinette? Where did you find it? You've given me an idea

Thanks - Sandy
SandyNorthFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #31

Name: Penny
Montana
“Hi I am Penny in Montana”. I am just trying to figure out how to start a new blog.
Thanks for any help you may offer. Penny
Penny in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #32

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Start a new thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny in Montana View Post
“Hi I am Penny in Montana”. I am just trying to figure out how to start a new blog.
Hi Penny,

You may want to go to Forums, Choose "Hi I am..." forum, and click yellow button at top for "New Thread". Your post will get more traction as new. Good luck with your blog.

Sandy
SandyNorthFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #33

Nevada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

I’ve replaced, repaired and added carpet to my Casita Spirit and there is NO mylar bubble foil insulation behind the carpet. The carpet they currently use and what was already installed on my ‘98, is a foam backed shag. The foam provides the insulation. There should be no issue with using drapery pins or cubicle hangers on this material and minimal, if any, impact on its insulation properties.

I would recommend the drapery hooks over the cubbie hangers as it would be easier to bend end of the hook holding the picture to prevent the picture from bouncing off the wall when towing. I would also recommend against framing with glass to prevent breakage if the picture does come off.

Good luck and enjoy your new camper. Also, I love the photos on the fridge.Nice job!
egfasdsdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #34

Name: Laurie
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
If it's fairly light, try the sticky half of velcro. I use it for spices. Works great, but I take it down for traveling ... and take it down carefully so you won't pull the "carpet" away from the walls. Speaking of which, the fabric in my '88 Scamp is sagging badly in places. Any tips on how to fix it easily (i.e., without removing & replacing the whole thing)?
LaurieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #35

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny in Montana View Post
Click this link for step-by-step instructions to use this site Forums 101

Just an FYI... this is a forum, not a blog. New discussion topics are called "threads," and responses are called "posts." Knowing the terminology will help you follow the instructions.

Welcome and best wishes!
Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #36

Name: SILVIO
Trailer: CASITA
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I think that somebody that really wants to hang pictures on the walls of their trailer, no matter the size, is more interested in something other than camping.
Campers spend most of their time camping outside.
i hang my calendar only in my casita just to know what year it is.
MOEGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #37

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOEGAS View Post
i hang my calendar only in my casita just to know what year it is.

When I'm on vacation I do sometimes forget what day it is. Is this what I have to look forward to in retirement?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The only day that matters is when the district picks up the garbage and recycling and even that doesn't matter much since we don't buy as much or waste as much.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #39

Nevada
Registry
I hope this is not too far off the thread, but as it is about decorating, so I’ll risk it. The rear window of my Casita is a 3 panel window with a large center panel and 2 smaller side panels about 12” square each. However, the 2 side panels had been badly scratched as they are acrylic. I had enough other projects to do and did not want to replace these windows right away, but wanted to do something to improve their appearance.

First, sanded the scratches as best I could, first with 400 grit then 1500 emery cloth. This resulted in a light frosting that was almost transparent. I then bought a plastic film with “holographic” prisms and applied ir to the 2 panels (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The result is when the sun light hits it it fills the camper with little rainbows! Pretty cool effect!
Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 PM   #40

Nevada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieS View Post
. . . Speaking of which, the fabric in my '88 Scamp is sagging badly in places. Any tips on how to fix it easily (i.e., without removing & replacing the whole thing)?
Laurie, I do not know what kind of glue Scamp uses or used in 1988. On my Casita, I had to remove small sections to replace/repair wiring as well all the carpet in one cabinet that was heavily stained had evidence of roaches. It looked like they used contact cement so that is what I used. Where I had to cut the carpet to get to wires, I used liquid cement, which I applied with a brush. In the cabinet, I used spray cement.

If you have a piece of carpet that has come loose, try cutting a small slit then either use a brush or spray to apply the cement through the slit and re-attach. If you have never used contact cement, follow the directions, apply to BOTH surfaces, let dry until it is just sticky to touch and put the surfaces together. I should immediately adhere. I see no reason why you could not use a large syringe to inject the cement into the voids where the carpet has separated. My only concern is that you would need a good supply of large disposable syringes as this cement is almost impossible to clean. You may try your local veterinarian for a source for the syringes. Let us know how you make out.

Tags
casita, eco