Replacing captain Chairs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
North Carolina
Replacing captain Chairs

How difficult is it to replace the captain chairs in a Casita with the bench chairs that create a single bed? Thanks so much.
JCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
While I’m sure many will chime in
You might also post this on the casita site
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Currently Shopping
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
While I’m sure many will chime in
You might also post this on the casita site
Thanks I appreciate the suggestion.
JCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the dinette benches on the casita are molded fiberglass screwed to the riser under the table, and to angle brackets on the inside of the outside wall (not sure how said angle brackets are attached, as there's no rivets on the outside).

(note thats my Casita Spirit Deluxe 16... it might be slightly different on a Spirit 17, I dunno)

presumably on your Liberty(?) with buckets, the power converter and water heater switch are mounted somewhere else...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #5

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCallie View Post
How difficult is it to replace the captain chairs in a Casita with the bench chairs that create a single bed? Thanks so much.
Not difficult at all. Remove chairs from their base, add a wall brace across the back, Cut a 3/4" piece of plywood the length and width you want (we used 28") bolt and screw together. It is easily reversable.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:48 PM   #6

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Casita FD
Oregon
bolt attachment?

I'm also looking to convert an FD by replacing the seating area with a storage cabinet. I started to remove one of the seats by unbolting from the floor, but noticed that as soon as the bolts were loosened they seemed to spin rather than lift.

Can someone clue me in as to how the chairs are secured? If I unbolt the chairs will nuts fall away such that I can't retrieve/reuse them? For now I retightened the bolts (although one of them was a chore and took some fast turns to get it to "bite").
Jeff in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 11:22 AM   #7

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Oregon View Post
I'm also looking to convert an FD by replacing the seating area with a storage cabinet. I started to remove one of the seats by unbolting from the floor, but noticed that as soon as the bolts were loosened they seemed to spin rather than lift.

Can someone clue me in as to how the chairs are secured? If I unbolt the chairs will nuts fall away such that I can't retrieve/reuse them? For now I retightened the bolts (although one of them was a chore and took some fast turns to get it to "bite").
I'm pretty sure they go all the way through to the underside, a friend of mine did it and he had to crawl under the casita to lock onto the bolts there. I did a complete conversion myself, what I did was left the swivel chair post in place and put the plywood directly on those posts and it worked out very well. So all I removed was the swivel seats from the post from the inside and then use the post to support the plywood and shimmed up a piece of plywood on the wheel. Well put a couple 2x2s and the corners as posts using double stick tape and it's easily convertible back and forth if I need it to be.
indysafe317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:42 AM   #8

Name: Christopher
Trailer: 1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Oregon
When I redid my floor, I had to remove mine. Two-person job. One holding nut underneath, one loosening/tightening the bolt inside. I replaced mine with stainless, since the original hardware was quite rusted. Good luck!
Sitah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain