U-haul 13ct - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #21

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Marty,

Yes, we do like our UHauls. So do lots of other people. Unlike your previous pop-up, prepare yourself now to be stared at, chased, and asked for trailer tours. We gave two of them last weekend. You will hear again and again, "I didn't know UHaul rented campers." A few people will assume that either you are renting it or, as in our case with our UHaul neon sign that we put in the front window, assume that you rent it out. One uhaulcamper.com member even was accused of buying stolen property by a Uhaul dealer when he tried to buy new tires for his camper. The dealer said that UHaul never sells their stuff; therefore it is stolen.

One further danger is becoming a UHaul collector. We now own the UHaul Chrysler and camper advertising toy, jackets, hats, shirts, a wagon, a trike, a toolbox, two Uhaul car radios, several patches, a clock, a thermometer, tiepins, and coffee cups! And I bet I missed some other Uhaul things.

We have been more places than we ever dreamed we would go since we got our UHaul.

CindyL
Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Does anybody know where he is located? The outage seemed to occur with some of the severe storms that took place.

Here's the problem with the uhaulcamper.com website:

"Welcome to UHaulCamper.com!

We’re in the process of upgrading the website to include more features.

The website will be up and running again shortly. Please try back again soon."
Wally P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #23

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Hi Marty,
I have posted the pictures of my uhaul bunk in a new post.
Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #24

Registry
What is aggravating about uhaulcamper.com being down is that I was just ready to call UHaul to see if I could get parts for our surge brakes, that person that Jim had contact with.

Did anyone write down the phone number before the website went down? Since it is information for paying members, can you PM me the number if you have it?

CindyL
Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #25

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
What is aggravating about uhaulcamper.com being down is that I was just ready to call UHaul to see if I could get parts for our surge brakes, that person that Jim had contact with.

Did anyone write down the phone number before the website went down? Since it is information for paying members, can you PM me the number if you have it?

CindyL
There was a thread in U-HaulCamper supporters section that had links to the uhaul company catalog, but it also said to contact him for the direct contact info. I did PM him requesting that info, I think it was late last week, but I haven't heard back. I don't recall seeing brake stuff on the list, but I might not have been paying good attention because John (Cranky) pulled all that stuff out of mine when he changed axles and shifted the brakes to electric. He didn't mention saving any of it, and he didn't have anything about it in his For Sale / Giveaway post.

Cindy, I think I still have a link to the catalog, but it's on another PC because it needed some adobe plugin to operate. Let me know if you need it.

Regards,

Matt
Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I also have a copy of the U-haul parts manual. It's a .pdf on my hard drive so I can't link it here, but I can send it to you (in case you want it NOW).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Quote:
I also have a copy of the U-haul parts manual. It's a .pdf on my hard drive so I can't link it here, but I can send it to you (in case you want it NOW).

Raya
Re. Uhaul parts manual and Uhaul repair manual.
Actually it is on this site! Go to left hand side, click on document center, then trailer brand manufacturer, then U-haul, then you will see both the parts and repair manual. I printed both out and put them in a binder I keep in the U-Haul, they rock.

Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #28

Aha! Who knows, maybe that is where I obtained it. I had forgotten and was now getting the impression that it was sorely needed.

Yay Document Center
Old 06-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #29

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Glad to see that so many people like the manuals! I got them with my CT when I bought it, and it only seemed right to post them for everyones' use. They've come in pretty handy to me. Oh yes, and the reason I removed the piece was that the seat was WAY too shallow when the bunk was folded down.
I've attached photos and some descriptives so that you can see how the bunk worked.
1st photo is the bunk folded down. The big cushion was backed with plywood attached to a piano hinge. It lifted up into a bunk with fold down legs, and there were skinny filler cushions that would fit behind the lower cushion to make a bed there too.
2nd photo is with the bunk removed and the fiberglass mounting bracket still attached. It has a flange that fits under the front window trim, and the rest was screwed in place through the holes (into plastic anchors in those holes in the wall.)
3rd photo is a closeup of the bracket with hinge.
4th photo shows the bracket removed from the wall. The cushion on the bench is what was originally used for the upper bunk. I just unzipped the cover and removed the plywood insert.
4th photo shows the original seat cushion sitting on top of the bunk cushion. Take a close look, and you'll see how narrow it is comparitively. I now use the bunk cushion for my front bench seat.
Without the bunk, my front bench is really wide and comfortable now. And since I camp alone, I sleep there and keep my table set up! There's even room for my little pup too!

Attached Images

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Oh yes, and the reason I removed the piece was that the seat was WAY too shallow when the bunk was folded down.
Isn't it odd how shallow that was? I mean, who could sit there?

I have tried out the "sleep in front/keep table set up in back" too. I ended up preferring to sleep in back, because I like the two "big" opening windows on either end of the bed, but it's nice to have as an option.

Nice photo set!

Here is one more photo showing how skinny that front couch is with the bunk/back in place:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1986_UHaul_CT13_Front_Couch.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	28726
Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #31

Registry
Thanks, guys, I have that manual. Trouble is, I have a VT, not a CT. The manual covers CTs that do not have brakes. These are not the original brakes either. We bought a Uhaul surge brake that fits their middle-sized cargo trailers. The brakes that came with the trailer did not work and neither do these. Kevin had tried several parts that looked right but leaked vacuum, so he has decided that it is probably something UHaul uses. He even consulted a friend who is an RV repair guy who could not find the part through his resources.
We are hoping UHaul has the part and will sell it to us like they did our tires or that online place might be able to help.

CindyL
Old 06-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #32

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
Quote:
Marty, 'll be checking in my garage this weekend for the bunk support - stay tuned. I might have the legs too.
I'm located half hour south of Flint in Fenton, which is kind of mid-state (in the 'palm' part if using your hand as a Michigan map). If 4th does not work out, maybe can meet somewhere. How far away are you in OH?
Hi Pam,

We're in Columbus, so we're a ways from you. We have relatives in Troy (sub north Detroit). How far would that be from you? I might be able to get a cousin to pick it up and then get it from him later this summer. We haven't set our route for the week of July 4 yet. Just know that we will be in Milw for a Coke convention that my wife would like to see. We may come thru the UP and back down if time permits and we could possibly get by you then. I'll figure it out and then see which would be best for you.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Marty
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #33

Registry
I know Troy - I work approx 15 minutes west of it Bloomfield Hills (your cuz will know where that is). I can easily meet them somewhere on my lunch.
I found the bracket in the garage - its a little dirty, but thats all. The piano hinge is still attached. I also spotted one of the foldup legs today and probably just need to dig deeper for the other one. You can have the whole shebang.

Just let me know when you want to make the pickup.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #34

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry

Hi Cindy,

I have a big, long list of stuff I was planning to get done before my first real trip. The trailer (running lights and brake) wiring was on my "must do" list, but not on the top of the things I felt I had to complete immediately, because I sort of understood what was involved, and I thought I'd need to do all the battery and converter wiring, and get the water tank going first.

Looking at things again now I figure it may make more sense to get just the trailer wiring going and maybe 12v to the fan and oven vent, bypass the water tank for a city water hookup, and just get out there and see how she rolls on a quick trip. I don't need to figure out where the kitchen outlet is going to go, for example, or where to run the wires just yet!

With those surge brakes, is there anything equivalent to the breakaway emergency switch on the electric systems??

Regards,

Matt
Old 06-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #35

Registry
Matt,

We don't have on-board water or 12-volt. Most of the time, we try hard to have campgrounds with water and electricity. Sometimes, though, we just have electricity, and then we just haul water in a big jug and heat water in an old 30-cup coffee pot that I bought at Goodwill for a buck and a half. Me, I like being hooked up to water and electricity, so as Kevin plans the routes we take, he looks for it.

Every trip is an adventure in these old trailers anyway. We never take a trip without something needing to be repaired. Everything is vintage and sometimes can't withstand the rattling. Kevin just tries to make sure he brings repair tools. We make several trips to Walmart along the way, hunting for replacement parts. One trip the outside electrical outlet kept blowing. I know we got a new one of those but it blew too. I don't remember how it finally got fixed. Last weekend, it was a leaky water hook-up, so to Wally World we went to get a new do-dad that slowed down the pressure from the water hook-up.

Go for it and/or camp at or close to home if you feel most comfortable that way.

CindyL
Old 06-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #36

Trailer: U-Haul CT
As I have just gotten a new CT, I've appreciated reading this thread. One quick question. My interior is mostly in great shape. There are a couple of hairline cracks at 3 or 4 stress points (like a corner). What is the best way to address those or should I just leave them alone?
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #37

Registry
If they are spider cracks in the gelcoat, it is mostly cosmetic. But if you feel that they might be structural, maybe you should start a new thread and post some photos?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:57 AM   #38

Quote:
I know Troy - I work approx 15 minutes west of it Bloomfield Hills (your cuz will know where that is). I can easily meet them somewhere on my lunch.
I found the bracket in the garage - its a little dirty, but thats all. The piano hinge is still attached. I also spotted one of the foldup legs today and probably just need to dig deeper for the other one. You can have the whole shebang.

Just let me know when you want to make the pickup.
Hi Pam,

You are just too good!! Actually, the Cuz is coming down here over 4th July weekend for a visit. We're leaving on the 4th, so that would make for great timing! I may end up like everyone else and not use it, but I'm one of those who likes to keep original as much as possible, and it would be great to have that choice. Again, I'd be glad to compensate you for the parts and the trouble of finding them. Let me know when a pick up time would be good for you, and I'll get with him.

Thanks, Marty
Old 06-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #39

Registry
I can exchange this week - NO $$ needed - glad to get rid of it, and glad to help. I can do it this week any day but Thursday. I've pm'd you my work phone - have your cuz call me.
Next 2 weeks will be difficult - this week is best.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #40

Quote:
I can exchange this week - NO $$ needed - glad to get rid of it, and glad to help. I can do it this week any day but Thursday. I've pm'd you my work phone - have your cuz call me.
Next 2 weeks will be difficult - this week is best.
Thanks Pam. I give him a call when I get home tonight to set it up.

Tags
u-haul